Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TX-73 Bug Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
If so, there's a guy in Washington State that sells them for ten dollars each. Samba Classifieds.

New or used?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

I enjoy driving the bug, but I've been wanting to add a dashcam. We have them in all of our other vehicles and they have saved the day a couple of times, one of them being getting the tag number from a hit and run. Used in court.

Anyway, this was pretty straightforward. I know there's dozens of these out there, so this is just what I did. I used this camera, it's the same model as what is in the other vehicles. It's the "capacitor" version which holds up to heat better than the standard versions. The hardwire kit also shown is separate, about $8, but the camera comes with a power plug.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This model is branded by several companies, so if you want this one, just look for the cheapest version of this spec of camera. This cost about $39 shipped from China.
Type in "A118C-B40C HD 1.5" TFT Screen Safe Capacitor Car DVR Dash Cam Recording G-sensor" on Ebay and you will see it.

Both this and the other camera I mention below use SD cards, I bought a few 32GB cards from overseas as well, something like $4 each if I remember right.

I found it to be really tough for some reason to get the power cord tucked
under the windshield gasket so I decided for the time being to just add some plastic clips to hold the wire. Not as neat as I like it, but for now it will do.

Here's the camera from the front.

It's wired into an ignition-on 12v power source at the fusebox so that the camera comes on only when the car is on.

I also have an inexpensive GoPro alternative camera that I use on the rear window. I use a stick mount to attach the camera to. That way I can use the camera in other vehicles or just out separately somewhere. No hardwire, just rechargeable batteries. It actually works quite well for the low cost.

It comes in a water-resistant case (shown) plus a bunch of attachment accessories and 2 rechargeable batteries. I've been happy with it.

I'm not saying cameras are the answer to every fool on the road, but for me it's at least a bit of a chance to record something faster than I could do with my phone. I'd probably drop it or something.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

I had meant to record mine and Mr Duncan's car show attendance a couple of weeks ago in this thread. Beautiful day, cooler temps and not a cloud in the sky.
Here are the bugs in all of their polished glory.

Couple of glamor shots.

The TX-73 bug is now officially a trophy winner Blue Bug

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

TX-73 wrote:

The TX-73 bug is now officially a trophy winner Blue Bug

Congrats Tx! First of many no doubt, and well-earned!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

I wanted to add an additional 12v outlet that also combined USB power under the dash where it was available but not that obtrusive. The hard wire kit for my dashcam was acting up so I decided to use the 12v plug that came with it. But I did not want that plug sticking out of the stock dash outlet, just seemed to get in the way. I also did not want use a combo 12v/USB plug in the stock 12v dash outlet.

I found this ebay outlet for about $7.50 (china) that fit my needs. It also allows you to rotate the outlets if needed. In my case I did rotate them so that the plugs open downward.

This allowed me to also close up a hole that had been cut into the car at some point.

I made a small contoured panel that I could install over the hole. The power outlet is below the dash/panel.

Connection was about 2 minutes using the secondary fuseblock I had installed. All wiring is labeled and I used a 5amp fuse for this small #8 circuit. The fuseblock also has a grounding pad.

Here's the outlet. It's almost centered, over the console below. Out of the way but still easy to use and place whatever is plugged into the console.

Just a small thing but I'm happy with it. After these pics I ran the 12v plug wire behind the bottom of the dash pad and over to passenger side A pillar then up to the dashcam.

I also use an inexpensive 1080dp camera on the back window. I have the same mount pad attached to all of our vehicles so I can move the camera whenever I want to. No wiring to this camera, just using the rechargeable battery.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build TX, I've had your build saved for sometime for reference on misc things as I get to work on my 73.

TX-73 wrote:

Installed a cut-off valve below the tank just to allow me to cut fuel for any maintenance downstream. Compression fittings are fine since this is gravity feed, probably less than an inch of static pressure.

I really dig this shut off valve set-up! It's been a while since you did this work, had any leaks/issues with it?

Do you happen to recall what size compression fittings ended up working to attach to the fuel tank outlet?
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Glad the build helps out 👍
Zero issues with the valve or the car actually. Its been eerily dependable lol.
As far as the comp fittings I think they are set up for 1/4" line but not 100% memory on that. That aluminum line is oem and so is the tank connector if I remember right. The others at the valve were fittings I had on hand. But the valve is 3/8 thread so I used an end comp fitting with that adapter. You sort of have to have the parts on hand then find what works. Not an exact answer I'm afraid.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

TX-73 wrote:
Glad the build helps out 👍
Zero issues with the valve or the car actually. Its been eerily dependable lol.
As far as the comp fittings I think they are set up for 1/4" line but not 100% memory on that.... You sort of have to have the parts on hand then find what works. Not an exact answer I'm afraid.

That's good enough for me TX! Just needed a general direction to go in!

Thanks!
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

The easiest would be to have that spigot and valve in hand when looking thru fittings.
Good luck!
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Great write up on your 73. I learned a lot of great tips, that I'll be using on my 76. Applause

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

You're quite welcome.

The bug has a new owner coming this weekend for final look and to take it next week to its new out of state home. I've not driven it a lot and this will put it with someone that will use it.

I'll post a few final pics, my thanks for the comments and help along the way.

Now on to another project!
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

The End for me ....
The Beginning for the new owner....

Off to its new home.
I'm glad to have had the chance to work on this little guy.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Ah bittersweet! It was a fantastic build. Would have enjoyed a video of it running after you finished, just to listen to it pur.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

TX-73 wrote:
The End for me ....
The Beginning for the new owner....

Off to its new home.
I'm glad to have had the chance to work on this little guy.

Boy, if I'd have been closer and had the $$$$- that'd be my trailer with that bug.

Nice work, TX73.

Look forward to the next project.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Okay, I’ll be the one to say it:

Are you effing nuts? I can’t imagine putting that much work into a car, turning it into a beauty, then turning around and selling it.

Just kidding, of course. No, maybe not. Yes, I’m kidding ... noooooo! ... maybe not.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Nice job man! Everyone wins!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I've met a lot of great folks on this build.
Lol Tim I agree, but we're all a little nuts I think. For me, the buyers ( really nice couple) were right for the car - this trailer was bought specifically to transport it securely so I'm pretty sure it will have a good home and get lots of attention. Yes, I'm attached to it but like Jim said, I do think everybody wins on this.
I'm going to do a refresh on my long-sitting 57 Chevy and I've started collecting info for a VW project that has long interested me, Subaru-powered bug. But that's a ways down the road, the 57 I'm sure will take me about a year.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

TX-73 wrote:
Thanks guys, I've met a lot of great folks on this build.
Lol Tim I agree, but we're all a little nuts I think. For me, the buyers ( really nice couple) were right for the car - this trailer was bought specifically to transport it securely so I'm pretty sure it will have a good home and get lots of attention. Yes, I'm attached to it but like Jim said, I do think everybody wins on this.
I'm going to do a refresh on my long-sitting 57 Chevy and I've started collecting info for a VW project that has long interested me, Subaru-powered bug. But that's a ways down the road, the 57 I'm sure will take me about a year.

I also am going to building a 57 Chevy, probably for the next several years. It is my father-in-laws, sitting in his garage for the last 45 years! Was up at his place a few weeks ago when I picked up the 77 Bug from him. I asked him if I could have the 57. I got a very serious look, so I offered to help him restore it! Looking forward to that! Don't worry I will still be restoring a Bug or two during the same time frame!

Good luck on yours!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

TX, I really was kidding. I’m just jealous that I wasn’t the guy who owned the trailer that took it away.

The ‘57 Chevy was my favorite when I was a kid. Still is. We have lots of vintage cars here in Redding, including several ‘57’s. Too bad you can’t show a build thread here, though. Maybe you can redirect us to whatever Chevy forum, so we can watch the build as it progresses.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Maaaan. I'm gonna miss that beetle.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 35

Jump to: