Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Clutch Issues Reply with quote

I have been having some issues with my 84 Vanagon clutch. I noticed some hard shifting for a few days, and came out one morning and started it up, and would not shift into gear. Tried starting in gear, with clutch depressed, and van jumped forward meaning clutch not engaging. So next i checked fluid resivor and discovered that it was empty. Filled it up and bled, and still nothing. Felt and looked around master cylinder, and no fluid. Felt and looked around slave cylinder, rubber boot is all torn up and there was a little fluid but i think it was from bleeding. But decided to replace anyways. Bled the system until no air, only fluid was coming out, and able to watch slave cylinder push clutch lever on trans axle...???
Could there still be air in line, could master be bad? Could Clutch internals be slipping?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issues Reply with quote

Just to be clear, van jumping forward with clutch depressed means bad hydraulics or it is stuck engaged, NOT "slipping"... Wink

My similar issue turned out to be the clutch disc totally fragged, many pieces jammed in place against the flywheel:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you find no other issue with the hydraulics, it indicates it must be the clutch & you'll need to pull the trans to check it out.

Check everything carefully, but be ready to do some wrenching... Rolling Eyes

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issues Reply with quote

I also forgot to include, but i did replace the clutch a few months ago and has been shifting and running great since. Hopefully it is just the hydraulics, although i havnt been able to find any leaks as of yet.
Vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issues Reply with quote

Also, even though i can visually see the clutch slave pushing the clutch arm on transaxle, it could still be the hydraulics?
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issues Reply with quote

It isn't the hydraulics if you see the slave move. It would be worth it to check out your clutch fork, clutch, throwout bearing and pilot bearing to see if its all in working order.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issues Reply with quote

Your symptoms would be pretty typical for a failed pilot bearing. Did you replace yours when you did the clutch?
Vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issues Reply with quote

Unfortunately not.. I guess ill have to drop the tranny again..
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issues Reply with quote

since you'd replaced the clutch, and it was working, this likely isn't part of the issue, but do ensure that you lightly lube the input shaft splines with a little grease. This is noted in Bently manual if I recall. Of note, my latest Sachs clutch kit c/w a small packet of that grease. I don't recall the last Sachs kit containing that packet.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issues Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, ill be dropping the tranny next weekedn and inspect everything. Does anyone have any good info on removing and replacing the pilot bearing. In case this is something i need to do.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issues Reply with quote

There are several different kinds of pilot bearing pullers out there, but if the bearing has spun and welded itself in place it is a royal PITA to get out.
Vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issues Reply with quote

So... I dropped the tranny and took a peak inside... The new clutch i installed about 3 months ago is toast... covered in gear oil, because the Input shaft seal is shot and spewing gear oil all over the inside of the clutch housng... Got new seals to install tomorow an new clutch kit. wish me luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: