Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Extended Decklid Standoff
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Extended Decklid Standoff Reply with quote

I've searched with no luck, for any of you guys with a larger engine setup I was wondering if you have extended your standoffs similar to the Dung Beetle but maybe a little less permanent? Im thinking about extending the stock hinges and quick pins for easy removal.
My bug
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dung Beetle
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended Decklid Standoff Reply with quote

You might as well.

If it's open an inch it may as well be a mile, as rain will soak the filter either way.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended Decklid Standoff Reply with quote

modok wrote:
You might as well.

If it's open an inch it may as well be a mile, as rain will soak the filter either way.

Mainly because it won't fit with standard stand-offs. I don't drive it often much less in the rain. Thanks for your input
VdanielW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended Decklid Standoff Reply with quote

I have used two sets of stand offs for clearance, but your air cleaner set up looks like it will interfere with the right side. Unfortunately, I don't have picture of them installed. Here is a picture of the deck lid installed and what I was trying to clear.

FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended Decklid Standoff Reply with quote

VdanielW wrote:
I have used two sets of stand offs for clearance, but your air cleaner set up looks like it will interfere with the right side. Unfortunately, I don't have picture of them installed. Here is a picture of the deck lid installed and what I was trying to clear.

Thank you, I'm worried if extended the stand offs to give enough clearance that it would not latch properly and swing open on the highway. I assuming yours still latches?
VdanielW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended Decklid Standoff Reply with quote

Yes it did. I used some spacers (washers would work as well) on the latch plate (attached to the rear apron). this way the deck lid was also off of the rear apron. I have since swapped my n/a engine back in the bug. So, I removed the stand offs but left the latch plate spacers in so the deck lid will be latchable and it would be propped open at the bottom.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended Decklid Standoff Reply with quote

VdanielW wrote:
Yes it did. I used some spacers (washers would work as well) on the latch plate (attached to the rear apron). this way the deck lid was also off of the rear apron. I have since swapped my n/a engine back in the bug. So, I removed the stand offs but left the latch plate spacers in so the deck lid will be latchable and it would be propped open at the bottom.

Great thanks! I'll try it out and report back.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended Decklid Standoff Reply with quote

Get in touch with Muffler Mike Sheldon for suggestions/ideas

http://mufflermike.com/
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended Decklid Standoff Reply with quote

leave the lid off, gonna look better than having a deck lid looking like it's hanging on for dear life.[/quote]

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: