Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

A friend of mine regularly stops at a station a few towns over to fill up because he said it was ethanol free 87 octane. When I looked at the ethanol-free website, that station did not show up. I called to ask if the station did indeed carry ethanol free and the clerk responded that they carried alcohol-free but not ethanol-free, and that's why the station was not on the website.
I always thought they were the same thing, but maybe not--can anyone clarify? (A quick google MF search yields nothing about comparing the two terms.) And if they aren't the same, what if any advantage to alcohol-free gas?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
A friend of mine regularly stops at a station a few towns over to fill up because he said it was ethanol free 87 octane. When I looked at the ethanol-free website, that station did not show up. I called to ask if the station did indeed carry ethanol free and the clerk responded that they carried alcohol-free but not ethanol-free, and that's why the station was not on the website.
I always thought they were the same thing, but maybe not--can anyone clarify? (A quick google MF search yields nothing about comparing the two terms.) And if they aren't the same, what if any advantage to alcohol-free gas?

Ethanol is alcohol.....or one type. As far as I know.....no one is mixing with methanol.....but its possible. It sounds more like the "clerk" has no idea.

Also.....the ethanol free list is not comprehensive or offiicial. At least around here...ownership and supply chains of gas stations change by the month as properties are bought and sold between oil companies and franchises. Keeping what they serve up....straight.....would be a chore for any list.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

I think the clerk had it backwards, or, possibly just completely made that up.

Ethanol is a specific type of alcohol,
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

OK, I'm a degreed chemist, worked 40.5 years in the industry.

modok wrote:
Ethanol is a specific type of alcohol

True. Chemicals with a hydroxy group are classified as alcohols. The main component of solid antiperspirants is 18-carbon stearyl alcohol (1-octadecanol), a white solid.

Ethanol is a primary alcohol containing two carbon atoms; it's also the cheapest alcohol to produce. Since ethanol is also the "active" substance in beer/wine/spirits, to sell it industrially it must be poisoned or denatured so folks won't drink it. Most gel hand sanitizers contain ethanol, some do contain isopropyl alcohol.

Methanol is a one-carbon alcohol, and isopropyl alcohol (2-propanol) and n-propyl alcohol (1-propanol) contain 3 carbons. Isopropyl alcohol is used for "rubbing alcohol" and sterilizations of skin. Because of cost these would not typically be mixed with gasoline; methanol can be used as a racing fuel though. Methanol also tends to separate from gasoline if water content is appreciable, another reason it shouldn't be used in such mixture.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Really?
I always figured you were a gynecologist.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Really?
I always figured you were a gynecologist.

Nah, not a groinocologist ! (homage to Archie Bunker)

But there were more hot gals in R&D than many would imagine, and Mrs. Cusser was my 6th girlfriend from that pond. She was a food scientist, M.S. degree.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

Chemistry folks are some of the most interesting. I had one Chemistry Professor tell about hanging eggs on strings over stairs.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

I think there is more shinola made up about ethanol fuels on the internet than oil change intervals and moon landings combined.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

Run some E85 through your engine. Let me know how it works out. Your car will run like crap.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

Bottom line would be run non ethanol free fuel if you have it available. Agreed with Mr. Cusser. He does know his chemistry for sure. Some things I would just not want know about in the food chemistry side of the house.
YUK

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Been buying fuel here for many years it's high volume.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

And, as a bonus, it's right next to the Waffle House. Very Happy
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

Just curious, what's the price there? It's at least a dollar more a gallon here...but worth it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

[quote="Cusser"]
iowegian wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Really?

But there were more hot gals in R&D than many would imagine, and Mrs. Cusser was my 6th girlfriend from that pond. She was a food scientist, M.S. degree.

So Mrs. Cusser and I are both scientists, explains why we keep experimenting ....
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

My experience with the ethanol free fuel; how abut 8 more miles per gallon average on my Subaru Outback. Yes folks it has more giddy up. Does not rot fuel lines as fast either.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
Just curious, what's the price there? It's at least a dollar more a gallon here...but worth it.

Depends on what side of town but pure gasoline runs from 20 to 40 cents more per gallon. So the Sinclair gasoline was about 2.65 per last time I was there. Tack another 30 onto that and you can have premium 91. The shit gas across the street is 2.29 per. Costco under cuts them all at 2.17. I'll use that in the newer Toyotas. Very Happy
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:

Are you saying the 87 octane ethanol free in your area is $1 more? That's outrageous. I can understand the 91. The station right up the street from my house has ethanol free but ONLY in the 91 octane, it's also about $1 more.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Hmm You can buy your gas and change your oil at the same time Razz

1600 SP engine
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol-free vs alcohol-free Reply with quote

for some stupid reasons I dont have any fuel issues execpt for the prices. I pull up pump and drive off.my bug only gets preamum fuel.I dont care if it's got ethel in it or tony...as long as the whirlpool man stays away from it.( and the allstate dude too Shocked shit happens when hes around.) I think most of the issues are owner inflicted Shocked , and yes neglect is owner inflicted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: