Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fenders on or off for paint
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: fenders on or off for paint Reply with quote

hi. working on my 69 over the winter getting it perfect for paint next year. everything has been removed. when i send it in for paint, should i be sending it in with the fenders on or off. i fear that because the fenders are so flimsy that i risk cracking new paint. i will be getting new fender bead, so they will have to come off anyway to install the bead but curious to know the best procedure when i send it off for a new coat. any suggestions would be amazing!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: fenders on or off for paint Reply with quote

You might want to define your idea of perfect. You can't get perfect without taking them off. You have no idea what is under there. Are they rusted under there? Is there any missing paint where it could rust? What about the bolts that hold it on, are they rusted?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: fenders on or off for paint Reply with quote

Watch some of the assembly line videos on Youtube. I remember the fender being hung on the body loose while painting.
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: fenders on or off for paint Reply with quote

Send it with them off. if you want perfect take the doors off too. all the panels. that will make sure all areas get color.
12/62 French 11 Window Bus

EverettB wrote:
chromies should be outlawed and thrown in the trash

Pandraggers C.C.
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: fenders on or off for paint Reply with quote

I'm going to paint mine with fenders, doors, hood and decklid off. Since this is my first project I think it would be too difficult for me to spray with the fenders on because of all the contours of where the body meets the fenders. I'm afraid of over-spraying certain areas and having runs everywhere.
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: fenders on or off for paint Reply with quote

I would take them off so that I can easily fix any rust issues.
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: fenders on or off for paint Reply with quote

Defiantly put your bolts back in if you take anything off. Much easier to replace bolts than to retap a gumed up thread. Also in two tone sometimes painted bolts look good in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: