Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heated rear window
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Heated rear window Reply with quote

Can someone show me an image of where the live feed and earth cable attach to for the heated rear window please. I.E. cable routing and ground fir wire.

Have looked, can see wiring diagrammes, but no photos or images anywhere.

Many thanks.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

Not sure what year your Bug would be.

My 70 has a relay under the back seat for the power supply to the defroster grid. The relay is activated with a switch from under the dash which lets the relay know whether to be on or off, terminal A from the speedo light, which receives ignition power from the fuse panel(15). The relay outputs power to the window grid through the B terminal of the relay. That wire extends to the left side of the window and connects to the grid. On the opposite side is a ground wire attached to the window which is connected to a body ground. That point varies I location but is typically on the left side by the regulator.

I will hope Ashmananswers as well. He has pictures.

Can you post the year and model of your Bug?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Not sure what year your Bug would be.

My 70 has a relay under the back seat for the power supply to the defroster grid. The relay is activated with a switch from under the dash which lets the relay know whether to be on or off, terminal A from the speedo light, which receives ignition power from the fuse panel(15). The relay outputs power to the window grid through the B terminal of the relay. That wire extends to the left side of the window and connects to the grid. On the opposite side is a ground wire attached to the window which is connected to a body ground. That point varies I location but is typically on the left side by the regulator.

I will hope Ashmananswers as well. He has pictures.

Can you post the year and model of your Bug?

1974 Rhd 1303
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

Sorry man. I have no pictures of any super beetles. I am no help. All I can do is bump your thread up to the top. Maybe someone else will respond.

Another possible place is Rob and Dave. Here is a link to the rear defroster section of their site.

http://www.vw-resource.com/defogger.html

Good luck! Post back up what you find out, with pictures to help the next guy!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Sorry man. I have no pictures of any super beetles. I am no help. All I can do is bump your thread up to the top. Maybe someone else will respond.

Another possible place is Rob and Dave. Here is a link to the rear defroster section of their site.

http://www.vw-resource.com/defogger.html

Good luck! Post back up what you find out, with pictures to help the next guy!

Will do.
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

A white wire goes from the 87 terminal on the relay under the rear seat up through the C pillar. It comes out through a special rubber sleeve and attaches to a terminal on the rear window. On the opposite side of the window, a short ground wire runs from the terminal on the window to a terminal on the C pillar, also through a rubber sleeve.
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

green1303 wrote:
A white wire goes from the 87 terminal on the relay under the rear seat up through the C pillar. It comes out through a special rubber sleeve and attaches to a terminal on the rear window. On the opposite side of the window, a short ground wire runs from the terminal on the window to a terminal on the C pillar, also through a rubber sleeve.

Great thanks green 1303, I don't suppose you could post any images of this at all?
Much appreciated.
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

My car is at my dad's place this week, but here are some older photos from before the restoration.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

green1303 wrote:
My car is at my dad's place this week, but here are some older photos from before the restoration.

Fantastic, you are a star.
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

Littleeagle28 wrote:
green1303 wrote:

Fantastic, you are a star.

Mine doesn't have either cables, not too worried about the earthing point on the left, just a screw needed, but do you have any idea how to thread a cable from the window vent area down the channel to the relay area?
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

If you remove the interior side panel and run the white wire from top to bottom, it's not as hard as it would seem.
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

green1303 wrote:
If you remove the interior side panel and run the white wire from top to bottom, it's not as hard as it would seem.

Cheers will give it a go.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

Before you go to all that trouble why don't you just run a hot wire to that connection and ground the other end, see if the window heats up.

Most likely it won't as those defrosters mostly died a few years after new.

you can also ohm the grid, the test parameters are somewhere on these forums.
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

cletus_zuber wrote:
Before you go to all that trouble why don't you just run a hot wire to that connection and ground the other end, see if the window heats up.

Most likely it won't as those defrosters mostly died a few years after new.

you can also ohm the grid, the test parameters are somewhere on these forums.

Thanks Cletus. have stuck an avo across it, and it does appears open circuit, as suspected. Also no apparent breaks in the grid, ohms don't lie, so either new rear screen or live without it. But in UK weather can be cold sometimes, but not so much here on the coast, and would be useful to have though.

I am doing a bunch of new wiring, power socket, fog lights, reverse lights and the heated window? Still trying to figure out how to route the wire from coil through the firewall to the reverse switch on the gear box?
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/search-Beetle-H...-85-_2913/

The hot wire to the reverse switch goes across to the passenger side on a LHD model and then forward. There is an in-line fuse in the engine compartment.
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

green1303 wrote:
http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/search-Beetle-H...-85-_2913/

The hot wire to the reverse switch goes across to the passenger side on a LHD model and then forward. There is an in-line fuse in the engine compartment.

I do not have any of the reverse circuit, so installing everything from new. I understand how to do all this, but not sure how I get the wire through the firewall down to the gearbox?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

Littleeagle28 wrote:

I do not have any of the reverse circuit, so installing everything from new. I understand how to do all this, but not sure how I get the wire through the firewall down to the gearbox?

It doesn't go through the firewall. It routes downward around the right (passenger) side of the fan shroud and goes through a hole in the front firewall engine tin below the firewall. If you take off the right rear wheel and look under there you can see the hole in the tin it routes through, then from the reverse switch on the transmission there will be the return wire that also routes back through that hole into the engine bay. There it splits into two, and these two wires go back through a smaller hole in the firewall tarboard, and route around behind the tarboard to either reverse light.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Littleeagle28 wrote:

It doesn't go through the firewall. It routes downward around the right (passenger) side of the fan shroud and goes through a hole in the front firewall engine tin. If you take off the right rear wheel and look under there you can see the hole in the tin it routes through, then from the reverse switch on the transmission there will be the return wire that also routes back through that hole into the engine bay. There it splits into two, and these two wires go back through a smaller hole in the firewall tarboard, and route around behind the tarboard to either reverse light.

Thanks, will get into it this weekend.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
... It routes downward around the right (passenger) side of the fan shroud and goes through a hole in the front firewall engine tin below the firewall...

See items 17 & 26a:
Littleeagle28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Heated rear window Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
sb001 wrote:
... It routes downward around the right (passenger) side of the fan shroud and goes through a hole in the front firewall engine tin below the firewall...

See items 17 & 26a:

Excellent, many thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: