Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine gauges and overal operating conditions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aksyta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Engine gauges and overal operating conditions Reply with quote

I recently reconstructed my 1970 with a 1972 body, and 1500 single port engine with some modifications. The engine is stock as far as I can tell, aside from the round paper air cleaner, high flow oil pump, oil filter bracket, and deep sump, none of which I installed, it was there as long as I've had the car. There were some gauges installed in the original 1970 body, including a sunpro tachometer and mechanical oil pressure gauge. I kept the tach (haven't reinstalled it) but let the mechanical pressure gauge go with the body. I was considering getting some vdo electical oil temperature and pressure gauges, but have concerns about accuracy. I'd be using the dual sender for pressure that installs where the idiot light sender goes (retains idiot light function) and the sender for temperature that installs at the pulley-end relief plug.

Some indicated statistics I vaguely remember from the old gauges were I'd be able to cruise on the freeway at between 2.5-3k rpm while holding 10-15 psi/1krpm on even hot (>90 F) days. On cold (<40 F) days, even after letting the engine warm up until the electric choke was fully open, I'd get oil pressure spiking up to 70 psi at 2k rpm before shifting up. I ran and still run 10w30 valvoline vr1 synthetic race oil changed every 3k along with the filter, which is a bit pricey having 6.5 quart total capacity with deep sump.

In short:
Want gauges, are vdo's accurate?
Is engine setup alright to run with?
I want the engine to run correctly, last a while, and not fail without at least a warning.

The engine in question:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Engine gauges and overal operating conditions Reply with quote

I've been using the same VDO gauges since 1977.

I get about 10 psi oil pressure for each 1000 rpm once the engine is warmed up. The VDO dual-sender will cause the warning light to come on at idle after a decent run, even though the oil pressure reads about 8 psi, just be aware of that.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine gauges and overal operating conditions Reply with quote

the gage accuracy can be tests against a know good gage.

for best engine get a stock air cleaner with the correct warm up and crank case breather provided for.

the big fuel filter wieghts the carb inlet. the carb inlet can fall out of the carb with no warning, specially as temperature changes, often resulting in a fire. so move the filter to under car near tranny, and also see link below on engine fires and safety wires .

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: