Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Here's a YouTube link of a very short vid I did. All buffed and polished, just needs doors etc fitted. Fitted front wheel 17x7" Have a slight issue with backs, not touching at all the guards bet need to adjust the Spring Plate setting.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

What's with the donut on the rear? Laughing Did you receive the narrower rims for the rear yet?
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

You noticed the Porsche Space saving wheels on the rear... thought no one would!
We had a slight problem with the spring plate setting which cannot be fixed in workshop so to move the car around I needed to find a quick solution so fitted my spare and another one I needed to buy. A very temporary fix until my mechanic can get to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Did you install adjustable spring plates?? Looking at my 17X7, I don't think those will even fit. I have less than a 1/2in clearance. I will have to buy dropped plates to lower mine and keep the stock spring action. Mine might clear it with a spacer... Waiting on my spring plate tool to see how things line up.
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

On the rear I have converted to IRS and fitted Herbert 2" narrowed trailing arms and all the performance mods http://herbertperformanceco.com/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Its been a frustrating 6 months. Seems like its two steps forward and one step back and I'm learning very quickly how patient you need to be with panel shops. Here just a few random shots of work done ..excuse the dust.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Looking great. Love how the gauges turned out. What was the issue with the panel shop?
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

No issue with my painter but his staff have either left or been sick with a really bad Flu raging across the country that can put you in hospital or bed for 2 weeks , so he's backlogged. And he's taken on some new projects and like all things mine has moved to the back of the shop and not getting a lot of attention... I'll need to get the whip out!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

alansvwTwinCab wrote:

I like the plates you've installed between the engine bay and the inner fender area. Did you make those yourself or order them from someone?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

I think those are from GabFab. I plan on getting a set myself. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1931051
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Yes they are GabFab Panels. . Very good quality. You need to run a thin rubber around the top edge as they may move a little if not done. I'll post a photo of the final fit.
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Life interrupts what you want to be doing so its been a while since Ive added any photos. Main news is this week I got my baby back home in the garage so no excuses its all up to me to assembly.

Fitted the Banjo steering wheel .

Also decided to fit the old seats to get an idea of look. I had always planned on getting some custom built seats but Ive decided to stay with original and get them recovered. Also when you change the seats you need to get an engineers report.

Tricked up the front badge. I saw someone else do this and liked it.

Haven't fitted fuel tank yet as need to work out where I'll fit the Holley Blue fuel pump. I want it displayed as it took me hours to hand polish.

Im happy with the ride hit already.

Over the next few weeks will be doing a lot more work on it..I hope!
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Very nice color, is it a metallic grey or silver ?

I am going color blind, I'm sorry to say.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Looking great. Congrats getting it back to the house. I hope to have mine out for paint soon.

I gotta ask... Why are the donuts still on the back??
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

I saw yours after the paint was buffed. It looks terrific. I’m curious as to how you’ll solve the problem of fitting the matching rims in the rear arches. When you do it will an outstanding custom..

BTW thanks for clearing the floor space at Chris’ so mine can stake the Ghia “claim” in his workshop.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

OUTSTANDING! Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Finally completed the dash.

alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

Headliner and Front and rear glass now in

Buck LaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

alansvwTwinCab wrote:
Headliner and Front and rear glass now in

Looks bad ass!!!
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: 7 Year Wait - Alan's Ghia Build Reply with quote

I've been having issuing fitting the fuel tank. Trial fitting showed it was touching on hoses in a number of places so I needed to do a lot of redirecting. After sorting this out the problem now is that the drain from tank is touching the Mendeloa Suspension setup. I will speak with my mechanic and ask for his ideas but I'm thinking if I raise the tank around 3/8" and use a rubber seal that would solve the problem. I would need to get 4 longer bolts that hold down the tank but would this idea work?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: