Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drivers window
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBob83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Drivers window Reply with quote

Yo, looking for some help with my bus. I’ve a 72 bay that I’ve had issues with leaking window seals. I’ve replaced the felt channel and both scrapers but when I’ve put it all back together the window won’t bloody shut. When winding the window closed I’m using 2 to 3 times the effort I need for the other winder (to the point I’m worried I’ll break the thing!) and it gets to 3 inches from the top then I chicken out and don’t want to force it any further. Any suggestions? I thought it was the winder mech so I’ve changed that as well but to no avail.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Drivers window Reply with quote

it's kind of normal for new felt channel to restrict the movement. Check the track the felt sits in to make sure it has the right angle

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Drivers window Reply with quote

we replaced ours and while it was tighter, it did not get tight until the last 1/8th inch or so. Look inside with the door card off and make sure all the parts are in the correct place etc. I would use a piece of wood a little thicker than the window in a wedge shape tapping lightly with a hammer to be sure the felt and channel are in properly.
BigBob83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Drivers window Reply with quote

So the door cards off and the felt is in the right channels however with the smaller straight section of felt removed it looks as if the window isn’t sitting straight if that makes sense. It seems to be bowing toward the outside of the van, I’ve no idea why as all the bolts are in and tightened down, the glass is on the right way round and the door is t bent.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Drivers window Reply with quote

Try slackening all the bolts then winding it up.
Then tighten them carefully if it llooks like you are fighting the glass stop.

But it should not be bending the glass unless the glass is in backwards...
The glass is slightly curved. But the corners are different at the top its rounded at the back and square at the front.

I had to put silicone spray on mine as it was simply stiff with new felt.

Do not break OG winders. They are a lot tougher and better built than Brazilian ones.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers window Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
Try slackening all the bolts then winding it up.

You may have to do this a few times. Don't tighten the nuts entirely until you are sure of the fit. It's happened to me putting one piece windows in a bug and replacing the front glass in a bus.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers window Reply with quote

Last year I encountered scrapers so tight I thought we were going to break the winder mechanism. I think we bathed the scrapers in talc powder (not cornstarch) and used them for a few days. Then we hit the felt channels with silicone spray and the glass eased up over the next few weeks.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers window Reply with quote

Sometimes repositioning the winder where it bolts to the bottom of the glass helps as well, the holes are oblong and the window may be cocking in the tracks (one side higher) and binding.

Or it could be shitty repro channels, Iv'e got one on mine from CIP a few years ago that has gotten sticky and glues itself to the glass after sitting an hour. Its the kind with cloth outer surface that fades to grey in a month.
The recent one in my other door with the smooth rubber outer surface works like it should (for now..........).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers window Reply with quote

Take a gander at these.
Install Wind. Regulator,Window&Wing Window Assmbly Pt 1
Install Wind. Regulator,Window&Wing Window Asmbly. Pt 2
T2 Window Scraper Installation
How To** Replace a Bay Outside Window Scraper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: