Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

steel wheels
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: steel wheels Reply with quote

When I had a blow-out the other week the bead of the rim bent. I am going to see if it is able to be bent back but if not and I need one from a junk yard what do I need to look for?

I know the rim is 5.5 x 14 but are the vanagon rims any different that any other 14 in. vw rims? Do I need to ask for a specific offset? Am I able to just ask for 14in. vw rim and be done?
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap it back with a hammer, just the lip is bent right, the steel wheels will take more abuse than alloys. If it looks bent but stilll holds air, use it for your spare, another advantage to having a full size spare. Wink
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny. Once I bent the crap out of my Mom's steel wheel on her 88 Golf while useing an older style tire changer (that was a peice of $h!+). Anyhow when I was breaking the bead, I folded, I mean, folded one side of the rim over. I was just a lad then..

In a panic, I flipped the rim over, and bent it back the other way. Wink

Ask me how to pound out dents in a Golf alloy rim with a dead-blow hammer. Cool I was the king of doing that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mjamgb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW type II rim is nearly unique. The only other rig to use the 5 on 112mm pattern was Mercedes and they had a 12mm stud rather than our 14mm stud. Oh, a couple models of Audi and one year of Corrado and a few other odd-ball cars but we are pretty unique.

The Mercedes rim will fit if you need to, just use a 9/16" bit in the bolt holes. Better to get a van rim, however, as they are hub-centric (and it matters... I need to get adaptors!).

Mike!
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: steel wheels Reply with quote

I know that the wheels from my old '76 Bay window bus are the same as the wheels on my '89 Vanagon. The only difference is the color. Might be a bit easier to find a wheel on a Bay than on a Vanagon.
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I did just bend it back and it is still holding air. Rolling Eyes
mjamgb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, basically the same wheel late '71 to '90. Dunno about the Eurovans.

Some 16" and 15" units are out there but they are pretty scarce (fastforward.ca has them, whoof, I'll just go to Pick-yer-part!).

Mike!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: