Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield Seals for C Molding
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

I'd like to add the front and rear windscreen moldings to my 64 Coupe, and see that Airhead Parts offers the C profile seals on their website.

I've heard stories about how difficult it is to install the moldings because the seals avilable in the marketplace are not quite right.

Any input on the Airhead Parts seals' quality and fit much appreciated.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

I used the West Coast Metric C-Channel seal on my windshield. It's a very nice product.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
I used the West Coast Metric C-Channel seal on my windshield. It's a very nice product.

Thanks Pete. How's the fit? Any installation issues?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

Fits great. If you have the right tools installation is not that bad. I put seal on windshield and installed in car, then put the c-channel in. I could not get the channel in the seal with it out of the car; no amount of tape would hold the seal on the glass while pushing the channel in, since you're essentially pushing away from the glass edge. I used a windshield rope tool bought off Amazon and roped the channel in. Silicone spray in the seal channel groove helps a lot. As you install the channel press it firmly down into the seal so the top edge of the seal "snaps" over the top edge of the channel to hold it in place...this is very important at the corners....if not secured there the channel will work itself out of the seal as you work your way around. I also have a dental pick nearby to help get that top edge over the channel where needed. Some gentle taps on the channel with a rubber mallet also helps get it down in the seal in any stubborn areas.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

Installation with the Airhead (KGP&R) rubber shouldn't be a problem if you have the original glass. (Some glass and windscreen apertures sizes differ from year to year in our Ghias.)

The rubber goes on the glass first. Then the moldings, including the clips that cover the gaps in the centre where the two moldings (per windscreen) meet.

Install the rope in the groove in the rubber - as shown in many prior posts. Apply a liberal mix of kitchen washing up liquid and water to the inside parts of the rubber where it will be in contact with the metal of the channels.

It's a two-person job from there. The one on the outside presses the glass and rubber down in step with the removal of the rope on the inside. One hand holding the glass down on the opposite side of the work area.

Five minute job per windscreen each of the 3 times I participated.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

Thanks guys, now....who has spare clips they can part with? I have an original set of moldings ready to be rechromed, but no clips Crying or Very sad
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

Are you talking about the windshield seals from KGPR/Airhead with the SQ suffix in the part number, that they manufacture themselves?

I've got them on my car installed by the previous owner, although '67 is the T channel version. They leak and don't fit right. There were large gaps between the seal and the body in each corner. I had to run a bead of clear windshield silicone caulk around both sides of the seal to make them water tight. They leaked from the body side of the seal and from the windshield side as well.
I plan to track down some real German-made seals to replace them after I finish all the other little projects on my car.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
Are you talking about the windshield seals from KGPR/Airhead with the SQ suffix in the part number, that they manufacture themselves?.

Yes, however, it sounds like the seals fro West Coast Metric may be better?
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

The WCM seals are great.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
The WCM seals are great.

Thanks Pete, I ordered a set today.

BTW, I nearly choked when my local plater quoted me $300 per piece to rechrome the four trim pieces! Shocked
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
Thanks guys, now....who has spare clips they can part with? I have an original set of moldings ready to be rechromed, but no clips :cry:

Good quality here from Germany:

https://www.vintagecarparts.de/artikel.php?set_sho...artnr=ZT2T
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:
Thanks guys, now....who has spare clips they can part with? I have an original set of moldings ready to be rechromed, but no clips Crying or Very sad

Good quality here from Germany:

https://www.vintagecarparts.de/artikel.php?set_sho...artnr=ZT2T

Thanks! Do you know if this is for the C molding? It says "T"
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

Yes, those are not what you need.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

However, they do have the C channel clips too Very Happy I just ordered 4 of them.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

However, they do have the C channel clips too :D I just ordered 4 of them.

Sorry about that: They have both C and T. And heaps of NOS and other things you won't see anywhere else. Most reliable business too.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

However, they do have the C channel clips too Very Happy I just ordered 4 of them.

Sorry about that: They have both C and T. And heaps of NOS and other things you won't see anywhere else. Most reliable business too.

Thank you very much Kiwi! The offerings on their website are most impressive! BTW, I had the opportunity to visit your country years ago...what a beautiful place, full of wonderful people! I'm one of the Yanks that was all set to bungee into a river gorge, but chickened out when I got to the end of the platform and looked down Laughing
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

However, they do have the C channel clips too :D I just ordered 4 of them.

Thank you very much Kiwi! The offerings on their website are most impressive! BTW, I had the opportunity to visit your country years ago...what a beautiful place, full of wonderful people! I'm one of the Yanks that was all set to bungee into a river gorge, but chickened out when I got to the end of the platform and looked down :lol:

Yes, I did a slow dive off that platform - and don't remember anything after that until they hauled me into a boat down below. The next day a tourist from the UK came off the rope at the top of the first rebound and broke a few ribs and nearly drowned. They were not equipped with fast boats to rush downstream to rescue jumpers. Still safer than crossing the road, they say.
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
Are you talking about the windshield seals from KGPR/Airhead with the SQ suffix in the part number, that they manufacture themselves?

I've got them on my car installed by the previous owner, although '67 is the T channel version. They leak and don't fit right. There were large gaps between the seal and the body in each corner. I had to run a bead of clear windshield silicone caulk around both sides of the seal to make them water tight. They leaked from the body side of the seal and from the windshield side as well.
I plan to track down some real German-made seals to replace them after I finish all the other little projects on my car.

There's DEFINITELY something else going on here. When did the P.O. purchase SQ seals? We haven't had our own USA made version very long. Is your glass original to the car and the correct size? Do you have an invoice number from the previous owner that states when (and where) he bought the seal in your car?

We worked directly with the manufacturer to get them exactly to spec. Your experience doesn't match up with anything I've heard anywhere else, from anyone, and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

Andre@KGPR/Airhead wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:

There's DEFINITELY something else going on here...Your experience doesn't match up with anything I've heard anywhere else, from anyone, and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

I had the original glass and KGP&R rubbers (the more expensive molded ones) and they fit perfectly André. And there are no leaks.
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Seals for C Molding Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I had the original glass and KGP&R rubbers (the more expensive molded ones) and they fit perfectly André. And there are no leaks.

Thank you, I appreciate your input.

I went and talked to our product manager (Dave). He recently sent back a whole crate of late windshield glass, as it does not fit-- it's too small. An employee here (Jason) fitted one to his car at about the same time we got a call from a customer that was having issues. Dave went and measure what we had in stock, and everything we received in our last shipment was too small. They all measured under 17".

We won't sell these and will remain out-of-stock on late windshield glass until either the problem is corrected, or we find a different supplier. FYI-- just about everyone is carrying this same windshield glass, and previous batches have indeed been the right size. No idea when they went small or how many are out there. MEASURE YOURS BEFORE INSTALLING.

If you are using an earlier Pilkington repro or an original windshield, you're good to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: