Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Bluestar from Germany...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

japio wrote:
Looks very nice Andrew Applause

Yes.
If it was 1917 instead of 2017 I suspect Andrew would be one of those guys building his own cars from scratch.
Flint Automobiles.

Sorry if this is a highjack of the op's thread.
I love this thread !
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

Well despite moving along slow with the S8/996 setup, something else has turned up and swayed my hand...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've been looking for a donor Audi RS6 ever since I owned one in 2013.

I just can't get away from that torque and never ending stream of power.

Eventually one popped up that fitted the bill.

It's a 2004 Black RS6 Avant with 118,000 miles. The gearbox is dead (no surprise there!) and it has a chequered history having been written off back in 2014 due to being uneconomic to repair. I have no history as to where the car was damaged but the engine is good (I did a compression test) and that's pretty much all I care about.

The gearbox will be a G50 based 4WD but I'm trying to introduce a Torsen differential into it to create the first Porsche Quattro 4WD system. Sounds simple doesn't it... Wink

The current plan is to complete the S8/996 engine conversion and have the RS6/G50 in the background ready to swap in at the right time.

I already have the gearbox and an adapter plate (it's actually for a small block chevy to G50) which will need modifying to match the RS6 engine and a flywheel made to suit, probably to accept a 996 Turbo clutch.

Oh... one more photo to be going on with...

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

I took a day off work and pulled the engine/gearbox from the RS6....

I don't know why people go on about it... it's really simple!

You just unbolt a few things... and puuuuuuuuuuuuuulll Very Happy

It's a bit 'busy' at the business end!

The turbos have a bit of play in them so I'll probably buy some cores and rebuild them myself.

Then it's onto removing the gearbox and offering up the adapter plate for the G50 gearbox.

I picked up an Audi S4 B7 gearbox cheap for some internals for modifying my G50 gearbox. This'll be fun Wink

MG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

A couple of up to date photos of the van sitting on it's wheels. I'm so used to seeing it up in the air that I'd forgotten how low it sits... that said there is around 500kg of junk inside it right now Laughing

I hope to pull the gearbox off (means removing at least one turbo!) later and putting the engine on a trolley for mocking up the adapter plate.

On a side note, the Tristar Syncro has gone and Limey is now in storage so I can finally get on with this!

MG
blaze80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

the width of rear wheels is awesome!!! Very Happy
/// '92 mk2 Jetta GL 8v (SOLD)
/// '89 'Bluestar' (SOLD)
/// '04 Audi S4 (SOLD)
/// '99 Jetta GLX VR6 (SOLD)
/// '84 Vanagon GL (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

blaze80 wrote:
the width of rear wheels is awesome!!! Very Happy

It's about to get wider Very Happy

I've finally managed to complete the set of wheels for track time.

The rear wheels are from this...

A Porsche 996 GT2. They're 18 x 12 with 315/30R18 tyres. The fronts are 18 x 9 with 265/35R18 and they're rear wheels from a Boxster.

The alloy wheel in the centre is a 16 x 7 Audi wheel for comparison.

Also, I've found a new supplier of rear light blenders so the recently ridiculous pricing of them should start to come down. They also offer a vented version Smile Great for getting rid of some serious heat!

I've also taken the initiative to start emptying stuff from the van (seats etc) so that I can work on it.

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

I have grabbed a front differential to go along with the 4WD gearbox.

As I'm putting a lot more bhp/ftlbs through this setup that standard, I've already upgraded the output flanges on the gearbox to 108mm and now I'm doing the same with the front differential.

Standard...

Bigger Smile

Last thing before I forget... my gearbox is missing one part. The slave cylinder for the LSD. Yes, it has an adjustable rear LSD in the gearbox. It's usually operated by an ECU (or 3!) as in the 964 via hydraulics but I don't have the slave cylinder.

Does anyone have an old one kicking around?

Thanks

MG
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:

Last thing before I forget... my gearbox is missing one part. The slave cylinder for the LSD. Yes, it has an adjustable rear LSD in the gearbox. It's usually operated by an ECU (or 3!) as in the 964 via hydraulics but I don't have the slave cylinder.

Thanks

MG

That "looks" just like a standard vanagon slave cylinder except where the hard line mounts to the cylinder. I wonder if a stock vanagon slave would suit your needs. Maybe even a rebuild kit?

Super cool build by the way!!!
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

scottz wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:

Thanks

MG

That "looks" just like a standard vanagon slave cylinder except where the hard line mounts to the cylinder. I wonder if a stock vanagon slave would suit your needs. Maybe even a rebuild kit?

Super cool build by the way!!!

The photo doesn't give it any scale... it's a lot smaller than a clutch slave cylinder.

MG
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:

Also, I've found a new supplier of rear light blenders so the recently ridiculous pricing of them should start to come down. They also offer a vented version Smile Great for getting rid of some serious heat!

MG

Can you please post the source for these? I would really like to get a right hand side vented (North American passenger side) so I can reduce some heat in the engine bay. Thanks!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:

MG

Can you please post the source for these? I would really like to get a right hand side vented (North American passenger side) so I can reduce some heat in the engine bay. Thanks!

No problem... but I'm afraid that you'll have to be on Facebook as that's where they're advertised.

https://www.facebook.com/ErcMrl

MG
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:

MG

I have a huge box of these stuck in customs right now if you can wait until they get released.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:

A Porsche 996 GT2. They're 18 x 12 with 315/30R18 tyres. The fronts are 18 x 9 with 265/35R18 and they're rear wheels from a Boxster.

MG

So...what's the plan for making these work, body mods to cover them up or suspension mods to tuck them in?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:

MG

So...what's the plan for making these work, body mods to cover them up or suspension mods to tuck them in?

Both 😉

MG
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:

MG

I have a huge box of these stuck in customs right now if you can wait until they get released.

Thanks, I'll send you a PM. (need front suspension goodies soon anyway!)

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
brad131a4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

Just wondering if this has progressed any farther? I see the last post is 2017.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

I've just realised that I haven't updated this for some time.

I'm afraid to say that not much has happened due to various things going on in my life and other projects.

I did however had an adaptor plate made to mate the G64 gearbox to the RS6 lump. Also, I had an adaptor sleeve made from the remains of a dead G64 centre diff so I can run the gearbox in 2WD or 4WD. I am planning on running it 4WD but it'll be nice to be able to actually get it driving without having to do everything at once.

I also bought the necessary parts for the clutch control.

Then past several years, a divorce, house move etc...

Then I got some time spare and mated the gearbox to the engine.

Moving it around was always going to be entertaining as my workshop is in the corner of the garden. So... I used my box trailer to move it onto the drive... yes my sons decided that underneath the Bluestar is the place to be! Very Happy

I've had to cut the centre of the gearbox cross member out entirely so that the gearbox will sit up high enough. I'll be adding in strength underneath when I fabricate the gearbox mount.

It's quite a snug fit under the engine lid but it does it.

Then a lot more time passed by as I concentrated on other projects and it went into storage.

I've just (yesterday) got it back onto the drive and intend on getting the engine/gearbox mounted properly asap.

It IS chuffing freezing here atm. 1-2°C during the day and -7/8°C overnight which doesn't help.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

Mein Gott im Himmel! Shocked
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

Welcome back! Looking forward to the next round of updates!
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

Cool project. Looking forward to the wheel fitting chapter 😀
Nice shorty sinka back there too !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: