Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

china steel...japan steel....whoose best....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Letterman7 wrote:
Blame it on the government and trade unions for not keeping "American" steel on American soils.
Yet in England, their soda cans are made of "British Steel". Rolling Eyes

Rolling your eyes why? We tout "american steel" when it clearly isn't. Britain is probably the same way.
I took his statement as using foreign steel here as USA steel here, exactly what you said. I find that very illegal and find it funny how we use "fake" steel for all our stuff but Great Britain uses their steel for soda cans...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Gary wrote:

You're in the US, on an automotive forum dedicated to vehicles which were exported from Germany around the globe. These same vehicles were sold in the millions in the US market, and you're complaining that (today) US steel companies are selling their product in foreign markets. Your statement is ironic and lacks an understanding of business.

How ironic that I've been running my own business for 25 years. It has nothing to do with Volkswagens being exported but everything with selling good steel cheap and purchasing back bad steel expensively. That is bad business (except for the steel mills, of course). There is zero reason why what we produce here can't stay here. At least we (might) have better quality control.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Shocked I smell a 9/11 bad steel/ the towers shouldn't have come down conspiracy in the works here-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

I live in the SF Bay area in California for the last 33 years, and I don't really leave the area that often.
So I'm not used to seeing rusty cars, so when I see one it usually kind of shocks me.
I think "I thought cars didn't rust out anymore",
but really it's just that the weather is so nice here that cars don't rot away before your eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Shocked I smell a 9/11 bad steel/ the towers shouldn't have come down conspiracy in the works here-

Call Pete Carrol! just don't tell him to RUN over. He'll PASS on that. Laughing

I find it surprising that anyone here ever thought Japanese steel was any good. PRE-70s? POST 70s? Granted I am only in my 30s but was there actually a time when Japanese steel was known to be GOOD? I recall my HS teachers 88 Toyota truck rotting away before our eyes in 4 short years. Every Japanese truck I see on the road that is 5 years old or more has a bumper turning to dust on both ends. Frame rot issues on Toyotas AND Nissans as far back as what, 7-8 years ago?
To me its always been recycled WW2 battleships they drag up from the Pacific. Garbage. It's a tiny island, their manufacturing industry is at the mercy of their overseas suppliers, and the quality of their recycling efforts. Know we have proof I guess....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Every Japanese truck I see on the road that is 5 years old or more has a bumper turning to dust on both ends. Frame rot issues on Toyotas AND Nissans as far back as what, 7-8 years ago?

My 1988 Mazda truck, and my '98 and 2004 Frontiers, and my daughter's '98 Pathfinder are all rust-free - because I'm in Arizona and your experience is in Massachusetts.

Come to think of it: those Nissans were likely built in USA but don't know if Japanese steel was used then. But the 1988 Mazda truck was absolutely made in Japan.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
To me its always been recycled WW2 battleships they drag up from the Pacific. Garbage.

Wouldn't that be US Steel? Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
ROCKOROD71 wrote:
To me its always been recycled WW2 battleships they drag up from the Pacific. Garbage.

Wouldn't that be US Steel? Smile

Yup! Infused with sodium after years in the salty brine of the ocean and ready to rot from the inside out!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
ROCKOROD71 wrote:

Wouldn't that be US Steel?

Smile
depends on who's battleship it started out as I suppose??? Shocked

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

rotted or rusted out steel has nothing to do with any of the scam. this is highend steel that has a real job to do, not just a box to keep rain out. lesser that is whats needed in this type of steel can be catastrophic... or shortened life cycles.if your in a plane and the shaft holding the engine togeather or in the plane has a 40 expectancy and at 20 years it fails while your in it over the pacific ocean...on your way to Hawaii for vacation .does it matter that your car is rusting out from the steel not being prepped properly before painting? Confused how about pulling out in traffic infront of a big truck and the trans input shaft twist in two so your just sitten there....and the truck's break peddell is also made from the japan affected steel:? hmm whats that smell???kinda smells like poop Shocked and it's spread all over the highway.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
EverettB wrote:
ROCKOROD71 wrote:

Wouldn't that be US Steel?

Smile
depends on who's battleship it started out as I suppose??? Shocked

Haha, true.

Maybe they have been melting this down
http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ship...een-found/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

I found steel data on line
China makes 74594 Thousand Tonnes of steel monthly, compared to the US which makes 7064 Thousand Tonnes of steel monthly.
In 1967 US made 115.0 million metric tons of steel annually, and in 2016 US made 78.6 million metric tons of steel annually.
I think falsely certified steel has nothing to do with rusting,
so who's steel is rotting out in the driveway didn't mater so much as the processing it received after it was formed into floor pans, quarter panels, or frame rails.
But did you know, in the 70's if you shut off the lights in your garage, you could actually hear your Karmann Ghia rusting? Shocked
https://www.google.com/search?q=cars+that+rust+rea...mp;bih=829
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Well that explains the amount of rust on my Geo Prizm (Toyota Corolla clone). It was built with Japanese steel, and assembled in California.
It also explains the rear quarter rust, and a section of body mount rust on my 99 Honda Accord that was built in Japan.

Never confuse the quality of the basis metal with how well the car manufacturer decided to protect it from the elements. I work in the military aerospace industry and the "preference for domestic specialty metals" clause is a big deal. But if the anti corrosion finish on the metal is shit, it doesn't matter if it came from Pittsburgh or Shanghai.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Quote:
But did you know, in the 70's if you shut off the lights in your garage, you could actually hear your Karmann Ghia rusting? Shocked
https://www.google.com/search?q=cars+that+rust+rea...mp;bih=829
that wood bee a neet trick, hearing my ghia rust with the lights out Confused so...why dont I hear it when my bug when it turns into a rusting ghia when the lights are out Shocked is my bug really a transformer?? bumble bug!!!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

now it seems nissan has big problems....they shut down the japan plants, due to...bubba on the street hired to do QC on the cars......well possibly not bubba, but unqualified people at 4 of there 6 plants...that they know of... whats this world coming to Shocked my bug is a transformer, japan is screwed,north korea cant sell uniform's to China&India. and my wife is flying to socal next Tuesday......for a week!! Ill bet she dont even bring me back any burritos...or parts. Sad
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

back in the mid 70's there was a steel issue that hit almost every auto manufacturer. I think it was called "green steel" (I am sure you can google the issue)

anyway, the article went on to say how bad the steel was and cars just evaporated...this is why you kind of don't see many 73/4-79 cars that much...like Vega's the rotted on the lot, or Dashers, early Rabbits etc...it had something to do with the nickel content as I recall.

some of the only made it if they were in the southwest their whole life. here in New England almost everything looks like a bag of smashed chips in a few years. jap stuff typically doesn't last more than 10 years here before the creepin krusties send it off to the smelter

I actually can see it on early bay's vs late bays. the late ones tend to rot way worse than the early ones did, in very odd places compared to their older brothers.

ahh, round eye you want some high quarity chinesium?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

I think thats when they were going to thinner steel and cheeper steel and the paint & process was changing too. they tried galvinizing but the paint didt stick to it, they tried all kinds of stuff that didnt work. chrysler has speclkel issues and they found it was the employees deodorant causing the issues....I dont think any car manufacture these days lets their employees wear deodorant when there in that area of the factory's.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
back in the mid 70's there was a steel issue that hit almost every auto manufacturer. I think it was called "green steel" (I am sure you can google the issue)

anyway, the article went on to say how bad the steel was and cars just evaporated...this is why you kind of don't see many 73/4-79 cars that much...like Vega's the rotted on the lot, or Dashers, early Rabbits etc...it had something to do with the nickel content as I recall.

some of the only made it if they were in the southwest their whole life. here in New England almost everything looks like a bag of smashed chips in a few years. jap stuff typically doesn't last more than 10 years here before the creepin krusties send it off to the smelter

I actually can see it on early bay's vs late bays. the late ones tend to rot way worse than the early ones did, in very odd places compared to their older brothers.

ahh, round eye you want some high quarity chinesium?

Think we talked about this once, skills, in regards to my theories on the Beetle "death foam" issues, where they rot behind the crescent vent. My 71 has no rot/rust at all in that area. If you search "death foam" using google search-the-whole-site on Samba you'll see a bevvy of 73-74-75 cars with death foam issues. Almost always seems to be those years I have noticed.

asiab3 wrote:

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

I have noticed more rust in stranger places on 74+ VW's, could be metal, could be paint process, not sure.
Most Japanese brake rotors changed around 1979/80, suddenly they wore unevenly and warped for no particular reason, can't blame any paint process on that. Rumor was they switched to recycled steel opposed to virgin alloys but who really knows?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

I lived in the S. California area in the 70's and 80's 60 miles inland. I remember all kinds of Japanese cars rusting from the inside out on these California cars. Some blamed poor preventative coatings during body assembly/paint. If I remember correctly, they didn't dip the bodies in primer or rust preventer but rather, sprayed inside where they could reach.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: