Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tremelune
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

I've found that a lot of watercooled installs are either on wild rails or they stick out very far in the rear...I've always dug the aesthetics of bajas, so I appreciate the compactness of the stock motor.

I dig the look of the Subaru boxer fours, but I stumbled on this Ecotec install and it looks clean...Is this motor/transmission moved forward at all, or is this the way a 2.2 sits without the radiator and exhaust behind?

http://madgoatcustoms.com/?page_id=45

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If anyone has photos of tight swaps, I'm gathering ideas for the future...
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

I don't have any better pics but if you want I can take more.

I have moved the motor in my build so I think it is a little back but not sure how much.

Ed
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

Tremelune wrote:
I've found that a lot of watercooled installs are either on wild rails or they stick out very far in the rear...I've always dug the aesthetics of bajas, so I appreciate the compactness of the stock motor.

I dig the look of the Subaru boxer fours, but I stumbled on this Ecotec install and it looks clean...Is this motor/transmission moved forward at all, or is this the way a 2.2 sits without the radiator and exhaust behind?

http://madgoatcustoms.com/?page_id=45

If anyone has photos of tight swaps, I'm gathering ideas for the future...

That bug is in the "Show off your BAJA!" thread ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...start=1240

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

Here are both... The Baja has a 2.2 ecotec and the Thing has a 2.5 Subi.

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
bullnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

You can just buy the orange one and be done,

https://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/d/1969-vw-beetle-baja-bug-with/6339670853.html

I agree, that is one of the cleanest eco installs Ive ever seen. Very nice car!
Tremelune
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

Ain't that some shit. Unfortunately, the timing ain't right for me. I'm planning to change coasts in the next month or two, so I just don't have room.

I also think picking up a more modest example would be better for me, as I've never owned an old bug much less a Baja...I'd like to make sure my desire is more than just fantasy before paying top-dollar.
Tremelune
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

I guess another way to phrase this question would be: How have you hidden your radiator?
TexanTwinkies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

Hey y'all from SC! While we're on the topic of engines what would be the easiest (and cheapest) one for a 16 year old with a couple friends n tools to instal? Saved up my pennies m dimes for and at long last bought a Baja style VW but engine kinda wimpy it's a 1600 with stock trans. Any recommendations n yes I know Ima probably need a new trans too. Thank y'all!
TexanTwinkies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

Sorry not wimpy was just lookin for somethin with a bit more horses on it Laughing
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

TexanTwinkies wrote:
Hey y'all from SC! While we're on the topic of engines what would be the easiest (and cheapest) one for a 16 year old with a couple friends n tools to instal? Saved up my pennies m dimes for and at long last bought a Baja style VW but engine kinda wimpy it's a 1600 with stock trans. Any recommendations n yes I know Ima probably need a new trans too. Thank y'all!

How long have you been driving off road toys? Not to put you down or judge you being 16, but it might be wise to run the car and learn it's quirks, before you look to triple the power. Speaking from experience, my Subaru swap using a stock 130k mile EJ25 blew my expectations away... and I've been around trucks, circle track cars, quads, motorcycles, etc most my life. I've also had a lot of projects that I scrapped because I got in over my head and didn't plan a realistic budget when I was a teenager.

Cheap and easy is going to be stay air cooled VW. The water cooled swaps are awesome and I'll probably never run air cooled again, but you have a lot of fab work or expenses from other fabricators for radiator mounts, exhaust, engine mounts, probably suspension upgrades, etc. I'm guessing I had $300-500 in hidden expenses (the little stuff that it "just" needs), the donor was $400, a coil pack was $90, the adapter and clutch were in the neighborhood of $800-900, you get the idea of what I'm trying to say...

More importantly, have fun!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TexanTwinkies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

Yea that sounds good! I'm just lookin for somethin to start Savin up for I'm pretty strapped for cash Laughing totally worth it it been a blast on the beach
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

Radiator isn't really hidden, but it is nestled well in the same cage it had with the aircooled engine. The set up i have does not over heat, hits 212 deg and starts dropping to about 194 deg, and cycles that same way. I have an auxiliary heater in the cab that utilizes the engine coolant, warms the car pretty good.

If i had it to do all over again, i do not think i would do anything different except about a 3 or 4 inch shorter radiator, but then i would have air pocket issues. overall i am happy with the looks. i dont have the typical "baboon but" that most water cooled bajas have.

It is a 1997 subaru 2.2l 145hp, but i think this same set up would work with 2.5 or the 2.0 as well. maybe not the turbo version not sure how the turbo would fit.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

1fastbigguy wrote:
Here are both... The Baja has a 2.2 ecotec and the Thing has a 2.5 Subi.

I'd say those are not clean installs. The green car especially looks highly unnatural. Both are extremely nice rigs, I don't mean to put them down, but the engines hanging 4' out the back look as unnatural as they are.

The orange car looks perfect to me. Very clean install.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

I DO hope you understand that middle picture of the Green Baja was taken with a wide angle lens...

And that the rear bumpers on both cars were made with the intent to protect the back of the cars from contact? Not just to be cute little wraps... These are not lawn show cars normally. They were built for actual serious off road racing and fun. The Thing has been raced many times and the Baja a few times.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
I DO hope you understand that middle picture of the Green Baja was taken with a wide angle lens...

And that the rear bumpers on both cars were made with the intent to protect the back of the cars from contact? Not just to be cute little wraps... These are not lawn show cars normally. They were built for actual serious off road racing and fun. The Thing has been raced many times and the Baja a few times.

They are nice cars. But the OP was asking about tucked in engines that look like they belong. Both those cars have the trans slid back for gentler CV angles and like you said are built for function. A cage like that with lots of room would look rediculous on a stockish Baja.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
WrRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

I still have some work but on my 63 with a 002 and a 10* mount it is fairly tight. The radiator is going up front.

bullnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

Looks good WR!
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

It used to be clean... Laughing

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
Cul-tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

WrRider,
That install looks great!
Is that the 2.2 or 2.4?
anobii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean Subaru/Ecotec installs? Reply with quote

Subaru EJ22. Cost about $1200 and a boat load of time.

Instagram @hardcorespeed for more pics.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: