Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pros and Cons and How To Win My Parents Over
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons and How To Win My Parents Over Reply with quote

Don't worry about Bugs becoming unaffordable way too many put there to Worry about that.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons and How To Win My Parents Over Reply with quote

1200 Admirer wrote:
It's funny you mention that, I was looking at 7th gen coupes (2001-2005) online. I found a gray and gray one at a dealership a couple of towns over. (About 40 miles away) It was a 5 speed, which is what I'm after. I kinda like the styling, simple with a relatively straight belt line. A friend in Boy Scouts had a gold one, I don't recall any problems. The biggest problem with that generation is the automatic, from what I've read. So no worries there, I hope.

My daughter has an '04 EX coupe with 150k miles on it, and it runs like new. True, we've had to do some front end work on it at about 125k - stuff wears out. But the drivetrain? Quiet as can be, for what it is.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons and How To Win My Parents Over Reply with quote

1200 Admirer wrote:
That is an attractive option, I haven't completely ruled it out either.
One place I'd like to draw the line is a touchscreen. One, it's a safety hazard, or so I believe. I'd be much more comfortable and at ease with an array of buttons to push. You have to take your eyes off the road to focus on a glowing screen and repeatedly mash the glass with your finger. Driving my mother's Santa Fe makes me crazy with that. It's a completely different animal than even my brother's highlander, with buttons for radio, AC, etc.
A new car under warranty, with crank windows and stick shift, is pretty attractive however.

That's one reason that I buy baseline cars when I go new (my current DD is a '15 Civic LX). I like the simple push buttons and no Star Trek screen.

The new 10th gen Civics are all touchscreen, and even have electronic ebrakes! I think I'll be keeping this car.
1200 Admirer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons and How To Win My Parents Over Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
1200 Admirer wrote:
It's funny you mention that, I was looking at 7th gen coupes (2001-2005) online. I found a gray and gray one at a dealership a couple of towns over. (About 40 miles away) It was a 5 speed, which is what I'm after. I kinda like the styling, simple with a relatively straight belt line. A friend in Boy Scouts had a gold one, I don't recall any problems. The biggest problem with that generation is the automatic, from what I've read. So no worries there, I hope.

My daughter has an '04 EX coupe with 150k miles on it, and it runs like new. True, we've had to do some front end work on it at about 125k - stuff wears out. But the drivetrain? Quiet as can be, for what it is.

Is it an automatic? How many miles were on it when you purchased it?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons and How To Win My Parents Over Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Don't worry about Bugs becoming unaffordable way too many put there to Worry about that.

That was once said about 356s, and Microbusses, even 914s. 30 years ago the wrecking yards were full,of them, people have used delux microbusses as dumpsters, now many of us would be hard pressed to afford one.

True story.... I as a teenager going to the dump, and watching a delux sun roof 23 window Microbus pull up, it had apiece of plywood behind the front seats, floor up to the roof, sperating front from back. the back was filled to the the top with debris, wet leaves, household garbage, trash. He used the bus as a dumpster, evidently filling it up from the sun roof. He opened the side doors and with a pitch fork emptied the garbage out.
that bus now days if fixed up could be worth over 100K.

I remember when ovals and split window ovals were considered crummy old vws with too tiny a motor and too small a window, people would almost give them away.

To the original,poster, how many years till you get your Bug? four or five years in college, then you go to work, have to pay rent or mortgage, get a spouse, raise a family, where will be the time or finances then for an early stock motor Bug of your dreams?

Will the prices escalate by then, will fewer be on the road then? Want to wait 5, 10 15 years? life goes by fast and before you know it your dead.

Get the Bug now, sell the Coment, proceeds will buy a nice bug, a bug you may never get if you wait.

Regrets last FOREVER!

oh the cars I passed up, thinking later will come along.

25 years ago I passed up a $14K amphicar at a used car lot. I cant aford one now. I remember the classified ad for a real VW Schwimminwagen, I think that one was going for about 10 grand that was over 35 hears ago.

I did pick up a nice 914 for $900 some 20 odd years ago, now worth $12K.
Folks used to almost give them away if the motor died, and wreckers always had a couple on the lot, good luck finding them now for cheap. I used to see Microbusses with no body damage being picked apart at the wrecker, Havent seen one in any condition at pick and pull wreckers for at least 15, maybe 20 years.

35 years ago I bought a 58 Bug that didnt run, it had a carborator problem, that was all that was wrong, $110 cash, gave it to my sister, she sold it for for $700 a few years later. it would be worth over $6000 today.

Just as a brand new car is just now starting a rapid decline in resale value, classic VWs like you want are on the upswing in price. you missed the low in that price, but there is plenty of more room for them to go up.

if finaces are tight, you could compromise and buy a 70s era Bug, they are a decade behind the 60s Bugs in price upswing, and can now be had for a bit less.

the 70s bugs have improved safety, better bumlers, collapsable steering column, dished steering wheels, more glass for visability improvement, three point seat belts, high back seats that backs lock in place, padded dash, and better brakes, and more powerful motors to better keep up with traffic.

You might have a better time selling the idea of a later model Bug to your parents with its improved safety features, you will still have a Bug. the entry price will be less and safety increased a win win for you and the folks!

good luck, you only have one chance today, then the sun sets and yesterdays deals no longer are offered. Get it while you can, before lifes pressures snuff out your dream.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons and How To Win My Parents Over Reply with quote

Wow what a sales pitch..... man sign me up Very Happy
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons and How To Win My Parents Over Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Yeah seriously! BlueBus, you don't happen to be a car salesman do you Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons and How To Win My Parents Over Reply with quote

1200 Admirer wrote:
It's funny you mention that, I was looking at 7th gen coupes (2001-2005) online. I found a gray and gray one at a dealership a couple of towns over. (About 40 miles away) It was a 5 speed, which is what I'm after.

5-Speeds/manual transmission vehicles are pretty rare these days, maybe jump on that one !!! Police say manual transmissions are even a theft deterrent these days.

I happen to have FIVE manual transmission vehicles (197o VW, 1971 VW, 1988 Mazda truck, and 1998 and 2004 Frontiers).

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons and How To Win My Parents Over Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

No kidding, a modern day Cal Worthington. Now where is Spot?
go see cal - YouTube

▶ 3:19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOsLdT4slsk

Last edited by Helfen on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons and How To Win My Parents Over Reply with quote

Agreed that manual transmissions are millennial anti theft device. Had to purchase a couple of new tires for the 72 and not any of the guys knew how to drive it. Just the one young lady who was over the tire jockeys knew how. She is a QT but you would never know it dress in coveralls.
Do buy the car you want, you only live once.
BlueBuss where is the dotted line so I can sign up.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Maxpower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons and How To Win My Parents Over Reply with quote

When my girlfriend bought her 09 corolla if you wanted a manual it came with power nothing except steering and brakes. We even had to pay for power locks and only have one. Great car 5 speed crank windows but it has had so many recalls and it now falling apart after 102,000 hard miles. I agree get a clean bug and don't let your dream slip away life is too short.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons and How To Win My Parents Over Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Enough said....let the kid decide with his parents. The pavement is worn out.

X2
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons and How To Win My Parents Over Reply with quote

1200 Admirer wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:
1200 Admirer wrote:

Is it an automatic? How many miles were on it when you purchased it?

We got it with 125k on it, and yes, it's an automatic.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: