Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It's Electric!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: It's Electric! Reply with quote

I have a 61 single cab. Today I replaced the tailight lenses, flasher relay and the wiper motor armature. Starting off the day all of my lights worked fine. After doing that work, now I don't have any turn signals or even lights at the turn signals when the headlights are on. I only get one brake light when the headlights are on and I have no low beam on the passenger side. I have turn signals on all corners except the front driver side when the headlights are off and the brake lights work fine as well then. My signals, when working, now also blink twice as fast.

I know it's not the bulb, i swapped those between themselves. I also got a similar dimmer switch from advanced auto to check it out and it didn't seem to make any difference. Any suggestions? All fuses are good too..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

Ground issue, I'd suggest grounding your tail lights with a dedicated ground wire, add star washers to any wires which ground to the body. Switches and gauges do funny things when not properly grounded. Check all other ground wires, adding the star washers...or finding bare metal to properly ground.
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

Do they each get their own ground wire? I've got the driver side grounded to the cooling tin right now. The passenger one is just ran in parallel with it. As far as any and all other grounds, I kinda had a hunch that was the culprit. Any clue as to where to start? Do the tailight housings themselves need to touch the body?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

Short answer- yes. Early wiring systems tend to use contact to the body from the tail lights or headlights to make ground. You will also find this on the dash for gauges and flashers.. which means a good contact on all of these parts produces their ground. Later versions typically have independent grounds and insure better contact, which is how most choose to update. You can run independent ground wires for best results... some argue directly to ground strap (battery)... either way, each component needs a good, solid ground. Here's one thread... there are many more. Go through each component and ensure good ground, tail lights, turn signals, headlights and switches.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=387637&highlight=grounding+tail+lights
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch! Read through all of that and it gives me some places to start and tricks to use for sure. I'll post some updates later on tonight...
mykillcykill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

https://www.powerprobe.com/web-store-1/p5fjvq2kzjttivtwpnbtd06fdcokqz

These help a lot! I love mine. Allows you to check for voltage, check for ground or apply voltage or ground. [/url]
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

buspeople wrote:
Starting off the day all of my lights worked fine.

What is weird is that if all was working then why would all kinds of ground issues show up now?
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
buspeople wrote:

What is weird is that if all was working then why would all kinds of ground issues show up now?

Good point... the grounding issue could simply be the flasher relay which was replaced. Still a good idea to sure up all of the ground points
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

So I got through everything and got most everything working again. The turn signals both work when they're supposed to. The driver side one blinks about double the speed of the passenger side though? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the blinker lights supposed to be on along with the running lights and headlights? Mine aren't. I have a continuity light and it says there's juice there but they aren't on. They will blink though. As far as my headlight. I can get my passenger low beam to turn on if I jump either the middle dimmer switch wire with the solid white one or both outer ones? When it's off I have juice at all three points on the plug at the bulb. I think I explained that all correctly...
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

Still sounds like some grounding issues... without testing current through each switch operation it is hard to trouble shoot. I assume you have accessed the wire diagram? Technical tab above, wiring, select model. I have sent this file to Staples in the past, printed and laminated in color, actual size. Comes in very handy when chasing down wiring issues. Have you upgraded your headlights ground? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651090&highlight=grounding+headlights
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

Oh yes, I've referenced that tab quite a bit here lately. I have the original workshop manual as well so I do have something in the garage with me. The headlight grounds have been upgraded. Everything seems to match the wire diagram fine. Would something inside the turn signal switch cause the bullet lights to not turn on as running lights?
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

buspeople wrote:
Oh yes, I've referenced that tab quite a bit here lately. I have the original workshop manual as well so I do have something in the garage with me. The headlight grounds have been upgraded. Everything seems to match the wire diagram fine. Would something inside the turn signal switch cause the bullet lights to not turn on as running lights?

Sorry to mislead you... I do NOT think the front turn signals operate as running lights. As you can see from the diagram, the rear tail lights have two wires, one which leads to the fuse box and the head light switch. Front signals have no such wire. One wire leads only to the turn signal switch. Someone else please confirm
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

The front turn signals are only turn signals.

The little small bulbs in the headlights are running/parking lights .
They turn on on the first pull of the headlight switch and turn off when the headlights are on.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

I appreciate that. I've been looking up pictures and some busses all lights are on and some just the headlights were and I couldn't remember for sure. So it seems like I'm just down to my low beam problem which I found if I jump, and it doesn't matter which one, at the dimmer switch 56a to 56 or 56b to 56 my passenger low beam will come on. I've got an NOS dimmer switch coming. Could the problem be in the switch?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

buspeople wrote:
The driver side one blinks about double the speed of the passenger side though?

jeremy57ride wrote:
Still sounds like some grounding issues...

This ^^^. Fast blink speed is almost always this.

Go pound on the rear taillight lens with your fist and I bet it goes to normal blink speed for awhile.
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

I'll try that...what do you guys think about the headlight thing? Dimmer switch or other grounding/jumper issues?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

buspeople wrote:
...what do you guys think about the headlight thing? Dimmer switch or other grounding/jumper issues?

buspeople wrote:
...if I jump, and it doesn't matter which one, at the dimmer switch 56a to 56 or 56b to 56 my passenger low beam will come on.

But does it come on full brightness?
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

Seems like it to me?...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
buspeople wrote:

Because it was a bad grounding design for the TLs to begin with. Finally VW installed TL ground wires at the factory in 1970 model year.

Running ground wires to the battery ground strap body point, makes that you just need to take off the battery cable now and then to clean all three connections at once. If you ground the TLs to other places you have three different connections to take apart to clean.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: It's Electric! Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
buspeople wrote:
...what do you guys think about the headlight thing? Dimmer switch or other grounding/jumper issues?

buspeople wrote:
...if I jump, and it doesn't matter which one, at the dimmer switch 56a to 56 or 56b to 56 my passenger low beam will come on.

But does it come on full brightness?

buspeople wrote:
Seems like it to me?...

Remove 56a and 56b from the switch. Pull the light switch fully out. If you touch 56b to 56 what happens?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: