Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Colorado Bay Owners?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
86 3point2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Greetings. New to Evergreen and my new 78 Westy just arrived. Looking forward to meeting with like minded freaks. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

What a fine looking Bus!! That would make a good "screen saver" shot.
86 3point2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Thanks! Kinda got a hankerin' for those homecoming pics...

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Welcome to the Colorado bus owners! Lots of fun ACVW events to go to in these parts including the Colorado Off Road Adventure. Happy busing and we'll see you around!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

86 3point2 wrote:
Greetings. New to Evergreen and my new 78 Westy just arrived. Looking forward to meeting with like minded freaks. Very Happy

Welcome to TheSamba!

You should start your own Topic and introduce yourself.
Then I can shoot you some information.
Tcash
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Are you planning on staying with a single carb? If so a modified PICT34 or a Zenith would wake that thing up a bit.

I have a single DRLA 40 that I recently got a manifold for and just need to get around to doing the mod to get my brakes to work. So staying single for now.
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

86 3point2 wrote:

Welcome to CO!

Did you just win that in an auction?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

And that would be like minded Freeks..we are not a circus act,yet.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
And that would be like minded Freeks..we are not a circus act,yet.

It's Colorado, we're just working on it...
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
86 3point2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

My wife says I belong in the circus...so good fit I suppose. Yes to auction - saw it originally on Hemmings and followed it to Mecum event in Chicago.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

OK, actually got my Bus idling and limped it down to the gas station. I had to slap on a Chinese Carb. for now. It cut out rather abruptly 3-4 times but restarts easily. I'm hoping just some water accumulation thanks to our lovely ethanol fuel. I'll play with it some more this weekend. Hard to believe its been almost a year since I drove it. It has not sat that long since the great hiatus of 2001-2003. Some updated pictures as well. Any winter projects out there in Colorado land?? Whats the word on next years Bus gathering?
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
OK, actually got my Bus idling and limped it down to the gas station. I had to slap on a Chinese Carb. for now. It cut out rather abruptly 3-4 times but restarts easily. I'm hoping just some water accumulation thanks to our lovely ethanol fuel. I'll play with it some more this weekend. Hard to believe its been almost a year since I drove it. It has not sat that long since the great hiatus of 2001-2003. Some updated pictures as well. Any winter projects out there in Colorado land?? Whats the word on next years Bus gathering?

Good to hear.

I'm planning on pulling my 1914, do a little clean up on it as well as tossing that little 28 PCIT to the curb and install the single 44 Dell I have. I just need to get the CBP intake I bought for it setup so I can hook up the brakes to it.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

I was intrigued by your pict 28 set up. It should have been real torquey and good on gas. There used to be a Chevy small block single barrel carburetor called a "Fish" on the market. It was a great set up for trucks. I'm sure it under performed at high speed. How is the rest of the Bus holding up?
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I was intrigued by your pict 28 set up. It should have been real torquey and good on gas. There used to be a Chevy small block single barrel carburetor called a "Fish" on the market. It was a great set up for trucks. I'm sure it under performed at high speed. How is the rest of the Bus holding up?

The 28 worked fine but from owning the same 1914 build of a motor 12 or so years ago in a 67 Bus I used to own and having a nice weber progressive on it, I know how alive this motor should be and it just isn't with the 28 on it. I know I'll sacrifice some MPG but...

She held up great! By the time I got back from that trip I had just under 2k miles on the engine and it just purred along. I was pulling the passes in 3rd gear and keeping a solid 35+ MPH up them. I'd say it was doing rather well.

I took it down to ALBQ for the Buses and Balloons, that was a good trip but I developed a small gas leak from the 28 on the way back home so I haven't driven it since.

Soon...

Oh...and the trans is starting to pop out of 4th now...one thing after another!
sonofamitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Do any of you Colorado guys know how to tune an L Jet fuel injection system. I have a pretty small but bothersome miss. Just put in some new plugs, wire, cap/rotor/points/condensor, and I just adjusted the valves. I'm thinking the culprit is the AFM but I'm not entirely sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568454&highlight=
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

I would replace all vacuum lines as a first step. Is the coil correct?? It needs to be OG or Brazilian replacement. pictures please
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

sonofamitch wrote:
Do any of you Colorado guys know how to tune an L Jet fuel injection system. I have a pretty small but bothersome miss. Just put in some new plugs, wire, cap/rotor/points/condensor, and I just adjusted the valves. I'm thinking the culprit is the AFM but I'm not entirely sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Bently manual has a very good procedure for troubleshooting fuel injection. I would start there. Dirty injectors may cause the problem you are referring to. Injector seals don't get replaced as often as they should. In addition to what Manfred said, consider dropping a can of BG 44K cleaner in the tank and taking it out for a full throttle blast down the highway.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Here's my winter project. Moving over to the wet side...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689614&highlight=
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

camit34 wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:

The 28 worked fine but from owning the same 1914 build of a motor 12 or so years ago in a 67 Bus I used to own and having a nice weber progressive on it, I know how alive this motor should be and it just isn't with the 28 on it. I know I'll sacrifice some MPG but...

She held up great! By the time I got back from that trip I had just under 2k miles on the engine and it just purred along. I was pulling the passes in 3rd gear and keeping a solid 35+ MPH up them. I'd say it was doing rather well.

I took it down to ALBQ for the Buses and Balloons, that was a good trip but I developed a small gas leak from the 28 on the way back home so I haven't driven it since.

Soon...

Oh...and the trans is starting to pop out of 4th now...one thing after another!

Is there a reason you’re not thinking about running dueling carburetors? You’d gain extra power and not lose the MPGs.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Dual carburetors are 2X the expense, 2X the headache for %10 more power. Not to mention modern fuels are not formulated for carburetors. Sure they can work, I think money spent on machine work and high quality internal parts have a better and longer payoff.

Nice Westy there Mike! however ( add throat clearing sound ) watercooled engines are unproven technology ( CL is full of blown head gaskets)!

Personal update, the Bus made it to the next town ( 12 miles round trip!) without incident. Engine sounds a bit loud internally and has ok power ( so far ). Trying to do small trips every day for 100 miles, then oil change/valve adjustment and a straight line highway trip. This is my 12th engine in 32 years of ownership... that makes me sound like Ben from kombi life (shit). Hey most of them were junkyard or burn-up engines I just threw in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 31

Jump to: