Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
...strangely, the ambulance fans in Chloe are quite civilized at both speeds.

Balance is critical.
Colin

I was expecting them to be significantly louder. Slow speed was plenty to keep my carcass cool on Railroad Ave. I didn't even feel the need to try them on high speed. She pretty much sold me on them that day. Razz

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

We bought a P21 new in 1974 that came standard with the fresh air fans. The noise was acceptable then and while the mists of time may have clouded my memory somewhat, the ones in my 79 do not seem to be any noisier.

I have driven air cooled vw's continuously since the late 60's. They all are noisy in one way or another compared to most any other vehicle.

Oh and we still have the first new one we ever bought and the fresh air fan in it is not exactly quiet either. The trade off is acceptable for me. So be it.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Link

Fans in action...not loud at all, definitely a new favorite with the ba6 too Cool

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

mnskmobi wrote:
For those who haven't experienced the sound of the fresh air fans (courtesy Ratwell):

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineSounds/FreshAirFans.mp3

With the computer speaker turned up to full volume, that fan recording sounds relatively quiet and a doubt that one would even hear it above road noise.

I'm so looking forward to trying mine out! Cool

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

I can't here mine above 30mph but my exhaust has a bit of a leak Laughing

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

Here's a topic thread you might want to investigate:

Buzzing/Whirring fresh/hot air fans

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=20193

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

chimneyfish wrote:
Plenty of pictures of the factory drilled hole here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC

All those pictures show the early-model fans. These are mine:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the dashboard-mounted, double-throw, rotary switch (VW Part No. 211 959 511 A) associated with the pair of two-speed, intra-duct ventilation fans (VW Part No. 211 959 113 E) which fit inside the 1968~79 VW Type 2, ventilation ducts, behind the inspection covers, beneath the dashboard, in the cab.

1968~72 VW Type 2, dashboard, twin ventilation control-lever assembly, substituted in place of the single ventilation control-lever assembly, in my British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 campervan. This allows me to independently control the opening, of the left-hand and right-hand, ventilation flaps.

Also shown, are two white nylon spacers, with ¼ inch ground terminal, on the dashboard, ventilation control-lever, spindle bracket, which fits behind the instrument panel. These provide the ground, for my intra-duct ventilation fans, so the fans will only operate, when the front ventilation flaps are open.

Shown at the bottom of the picture are views from both sides, of a white nylon spacer, with riveted brass, ¼ inch (i.e. 6·3 mm) blade, ground terminal (i.e. earth terminal), found on the dashboard, control-lever, spindle bracket, which fits behind the instrument panel. This provides the switch-current ground, for the relay of the stock, factory-fitted, heater-booster fan (located in the engine compartment), of the 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2. It acts as the fan switch, when the flaps on the exhaust heat exchangers are opened.

This type of spacer, is NOT found on the 1968~79 VW 1600 Type 2, but can be retro-fitted, if desired, as I have done, on my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2; both for my retro-fitted heater booster fan and the intra-duct, ventilation booster fans.

Nigel A. Skeet

nosler4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

Where can you find the riveted brass nylon spacers with the ground tabs. I need to repair my heater controls but can't find any parts places that carry these.

Thanks!

NASkeet wrote:
chimneyfish wrote:
Plenty of pictures of the factory drilled hole here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC

All those pictures show the early-model fans. These are mine:

This is the dashboard-mounted, double-throw, rotary switch (VW Part No. 211 959 511 A) associated with the pair of two-speed, intra-duct ventilation fans (VW Part No. 211 959 113 E) which fit inside the 1968~79 VW Type 2, ventilation ducts, behind the inspection covers, beneath the dashboard, in the cab.

1968~72 VW Type 2, dashboard, twin ventilation control-lever assembly, substituted in place of the single ventilation control-lever assembly, in my British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 campervan. This allows me to independently control the opening, of the left-hand and right-hand, ventilation flaps.

Also shown, are two white nylon spacers, with ¼ inch ground terminal, on the dashboard, ventilation control-lever, spindle bracket, which fits behind the instrument panel. These provide the ground, for my intra-duct ventilation fans, so the fans will only operate, when the front ventilation flaps are open.

Shown at the bottom of the picture are views from both sides, of a white nylon spacer, with riveted brass, ¼ inch (i.e. 6·3 mm) blade, ground terminal (i.e. earth terminal), found on the dashboard, control-lever, spindle bracket, which fits behind the instrument panel. This provides the switch-current ground, for the relay of the stock, factory-fitted, heater-booster fan (located in the engine compartment), of the 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2. It acts as the fan switch, when the flaps on the exhaust heat exchangers are opened.

This type of spacer, is NOT found on the 1968~79 VW 1600 Type 2, but can be retro-fitted, if desired, as I have done, on my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2; both for my retro-fitted heater booster fan and the intra-duct, ventilation booster fans.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

nosler4 wrote:
Where can you find the riveted brass nylon spacers with the ground tabs. I need to repair my heater controls but can't find any parts places that carry these.

Thanks!

Welcome.
Those aren't available new, but every bus made from 72 - 79 has some, search the classifieds using keywords like "parting" and ask the sellers if they have a set of levers, they don't often fail and like aren't a hot seller.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
nosler4 wrote:

Thanks!

Welcome.
Those aren't available new, but every bus made from 72 - 79 has some, search the classifieds using keywords like "parting" and ask the sellers if they have a set of levers, they don't often fail and like aren't a hot seller.

1972~79 VW 1600 Type 2s DO NOT have them, which is why I had to track down three examples of the relatively rare (in the Great Britain) 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2s, in order to upgrade my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=292936

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=292934

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=292786

Nigel A. Skeet

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

You could buy mine with the fans if you wanted nosler

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken the round cylinder on the early ones is metal. On the later ones it was plastic. I would imagine the difference in noise between the two would be signifagant. Adding a couple small pieces of sound deadener in that tube should greatly diffuse the nasty vibration resonance that most are experiencing. I don't know if they have sealed bearings but cleaning them and lubing them would also greatly help matters. Most are probably full of crud coming through the ducts.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
nosler4 wrote:

Thanks!

Welcome.

1972~79 VW 1600 Type 2s DO NOT have them, which is why I had to track down three examples of the relatively rare (in the Great Britain) 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2s, in order to upgrade my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2.

Ahh yes, you are correct, I was thinking locally not globally, there would be no need for the switches on a bus without a booster fan or BA-6 heater.

Let me rephrase by saying "on any US or Canada spec bus from 72- 79" Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

So, has anyone looked into a modern replacement fan, that might be more efficient (with 40+ years of possible design improvements? Laughing )

I suppose that we'd need the OD of the unit, it's depth, and the current draw.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

there is a thread round these parts where someone used a boat bilge blower....(fan for engine compartment to blow out explosive fumes before starting the boat)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: