Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

zetec & rostra cruise control
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: zetec & rostra cruise control Reply with quote

ok, so i busted ass to install this cruise control before a long road trip, and it's not workin...wah!

here's a few things i got going on...

so, i have a stock turn/signal cc stalk and i wired it to the rostra, using the info found on other threads i think i have wired it correctly, i can confirm that when i turn on the CC on the stalk it's sending 12v to the red/brown wired of the rostra and i have tested the stalk before so that all contacts were acting as expected.

anyone else with a zetec have any insights into settings? or VSS connection. the bostig crew say the middle wire on the VSS was the one i wanted to tap, so i did and set it to read as square wave. they said the pulses were like 52/per rotation, and using my tires sizes i calculated the rotations per mile was like 698 (or so) giving me like 36k pulses per mile. so i set the pulse per mile setting to the highest option. i'm not sure that the normal/high/very high settings mean on the cyclinder select option. i started with low.

also one thread said the stalk was normally open, but the diagram in the rosta install shows a switch that looks like the stock on and says it's the normal closed. anyone know the definitive answer?

finally, i wired up the ENO (orange) wire to a LED. the instructions read like greek to me, but i read them as saying that the orange wire provides a ground to turn on a light, but i get the light on all the time no matter what i do...i don't think it's grounding accidentally, but of course it's possilble. am i reading it wrong....

"The ENO Function allows you to use the GlobalCruise as a driver for an external wheatlamp connected to a V+. The ENO Wire will drive low when the system is engaged and to a high impedance state otherwise. This wire terminates in the harness."

any help would be much appreciated...leaving tomorrow for 1000 mile drive Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and here's the manual for the kit i installed...
http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-1223Form4565F.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate to bump, but i'm desperate.

i have confirmed i have ignition power to the cruise control (to brown wire), i have constant 12v to the OEM switch (red w/ fuse) and a brake switch "cold" side brake line to the device (directly from brake switch to purple wire) and i confirmed that when i turn the OEM switch on, power goes to the cruise control via the red/brown wire and when i hit SET the green wire goes hot, and when i hit RESUME the yellow wire goes hot. so the power and switch seem to be functional.

but alas it doesn't seem to be working at all, i can't get the little diagnostic LED to show up and it's a bitch to test because i'm alone.

the bostig guys thought my pulses per rev was 52, but i count 26 or 26 "teeth" in the speed sensor ring i have (which is different from their latest ring btw) so with the tires i have that means i'm seeing like 689 revs per mile so if i was using 26 as my number i'd be looking at like a 17k ppm right?

i'm pretty sure my VSS is working, but i was going to plug in my laptop to the ODB port to verify. the wire the bostig guys said i need to tap into makes sense as it jives with what the rostra manual says for ford focuses, i also tapped into the wire per the manual for the tach signal so that should be good as well.

i'm still not sure what the type of the OEM switch is, someone said in another thread it was normally open, but i still suspect it is normally closed. i have tried the cruise with both settings with no luck tho.

also, i'm not sure what the engine/setup timer setting should be, low, high or extra high. i'm not even sure what it means.

anyway, any help is appreciated. i've got like 1400 miles left on this trip and would kill to have my cruise control working.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i was wrong the OEM switch is normally open, i'm sure of it now.
ShootingFish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember someone connecting to the VSS on the back of the speedo.

I would love to see this all come together for you as I have a Zetec and a rostra sitting on my garage shelf as we speak.

I would also call Eion at the Tec-Shop in Seattle, WA (206) 363-5560 he and I have talked about this set up and he claims it works very well, so he might have a solution for you.

PM me if you need anything else.

Props aren't just for boats....

'88 2WD ALH-TDI Westy Red Vanagon
'90 Syncro 16 Doka Yellow Vanagon
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShootingFish wrote:
I remember someone connecting to the VSS on the back of the speedo.

I would love to see this all come together for you as I have a Zetec and a rostra sitting on my garage shelf as we speak.

I would also call Eion at the Tec-Shop in Seattle, WA (206) 363-5560 he and I have talked about this set up and he claims it works very well, so he might have a solution for you.

PM me if you need anything else.

thx! i called them and they were very helpful and knowledgeable about this set up, but alas it hasn't help my cruise control work Sad it's driving me mad!

i think my next step is to relocate the rostra control unit as it may be close to the coil pack which the install manual says not to do. i thought i'd try it as it's location works out best for my engine bay. i'm also going to verify my VSS is working, although i really think it is as it usually gives obvious symptoms when it is not functioning and bostig, eion, and the rostra manual all agree i've tapped the correct VSS wire.
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the status? I'm considering this for my Bostig (conversion in progress)

Thanks
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: zetec & rostra cruise control Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread in hopes that someone kno s how to use the orange ENO wire from the Rostra cruise control to light an LED when the system is on or engaged. I get the light al the time like vwlvr said above when I use the orange wire as a ground for an LED.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: