Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ride-On goes Subaru power
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

that won't change anything. the selector shaft is where it is and there isn't much I can do about it. I sure as hell am not going to trim the selector shaft either. all in all it *should* be ok, but I will have to see once I get the engine plugged in, level etc. only then can I make a decision.

it's kind of sad that Subarugears doesn't make more bits and pieces for the install end of things. they seem to cater more to the beetle/buggy crowd. I have to wonder how much shifter rattle there will be by having a solid connection between everything. this would still be the case if you use the super beetle steering joint. I am going to suspect there will be some noise transmitted into the shifter.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

While not ideal for CV angles, what about tilting the engine/trans assembly 2*-3* to raise the selector shaft?

Or, instead of cutting away at the torsion housing, how about slightly denting (or crushing) it where the shifter rides above it?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
While not ideal for CV angles, what about tilting the engine/trans assembly 2*-3* to raise the selector shaft?

Or, instead of cutting away at the torsion housing, how about slightly denting (or crushing) it where the shifter rides above it?

I have plenty of clearance above it, just not below it. as it is, the transmission sits back, so to your point the CV angle is already compromised. I really don't want to add to that. I may just kiss the torsion housing with a deburring bit to add a hair more space. this is a lot more problem solving than the re-geared 4 speed for sure. I am just hoping the result is acceptable. I am also hoping that I won't have any shifter chatter due to the solid arrangement of the coupler.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

I meant the tube itself, not the metal above it. Kinda like when the impact jockeys over tighten the U-bolts holding the spring pack on a RWD axle.

Perhaps you could find a way of incorporating one of the early beetle shift couplers into the linkage.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D711%2D175%2DB

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am not that close to the tube and have no interference issues. Did you max out the adjustment on the front mount? If you want any photos just ask.
pkrboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:

I am not that close to the tube and have no interference issues. Did you max out the adjustment on the front mount? If you want any photos just ask.

mine isn't that close either
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:

yes, the front mount is installed as far as I can make it go to gain the clearance needed. I may have to dip the bell housing down a red one to get the ass of the trans up somewhat. either way...it's close

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
RocketSurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Out of the two I have worked on, one was fine out of the box and the other did hit the torsion bar. We corrected this by adding a washer inbetween the trans “ears” and the subarugears mount. This rotated the mount a bit raising the shift selector a few millimeters.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

RocketSurgeon wrote:
Out of the two I have worked on, one was fine out of the box and the other did hit the torsion bar. We corrected this by adding a washer inbetween the trans “ears” and the subarugears mount. This rotated the mount a bit raising the shift selector a few millimeters.

interesting....I will have to see if that is a work around. I will know better once I get the engine mated/level if I will have to do that.

dear Wolfsburg west, that you for providing us with the finest chinesium filler neck, made from the finest chi-titanium ingredients you could harvest.

and folks, this is why I want to cut an access panel to the filler neck. as luck would have it, a friend of mine that I sold a parts bus to still had it, so I harvested a bunch of stuff I needed

now I have that odd shaped kick out in the luggage area to make a removable plate to access the filler. I mean, lets face it this is a huge problem, and now that this stupid thing is part of a seasonal pre-flight check, it's foolish to NOT make it easily accessible. sad how far down the shitter the quality parts have become....

took to getting the shift rod all dialed in. this was a first for me. the snap ring on the front bushing almost wore thru the rod Shocked

taking the calipers to it, I estimate it was 2/3 of the way into making a hole. that would have sucked, so it got welded up and ground down

all greased up, new bushings and ready to roll

another thing was removing the belly heater. THAT was a PITA. they were very proud of that, and I swear that workers at VW were paid by the weld...

if you notice in my above harvested sheet metal photo, I grabbed this area as well. that hole is way to big to put the ECU loom thru, so I will make a plate to cover that giant oval and re-drill as needed.

that belly heater was something else to remove...I mean ho-lee-cow the welds they used on the pipes....I think they could have been used as tie downs for transport Laughing thankfully, I have a few more bits to remove, as the bulk of it has been done. I will be happy to end the shower of sparks going down the crack of my ass.

this one has required a LOT of extra prep work, mainly due to the 5 speed, but that belly heater REALLY threw a wrench in things. trying to think into the future and make cuts that make sense is kind of a hard thing to do, but I just don't want to go in there all junkyard style either.

one of these days I can start the actual swap Laughing

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

well, time for an update

got the BA6 belly heater out of there. (it's up for grabs if anyone is interested) and started mapping out a plan for the install. seeing this is my first 5 speed conversion, all of my "off the shelf" templates were useless. but, there was a lot of other things that needed to be changed anyways.

got to making the carrier

and welded my heart out

tacked up and ready to make the end plates. the Subaru 5 pushes everything back, so this wasn't in my box-o-templates.

almost done. need to make some gussets and weld those in as well

I had to surgically remove about 1/4" thick undercoating to actually mount the bar

but, it's in (temporarily)

I have to say, having a lift and a transmission jack makes the work less back breaking. in the end, I leveled the bus and made adjustments until I was happy.

getting the engine/trans level and centered was a bit of a chore. this is simply one of those things you just can't 'eyeball' and hope for the best. the goofy shape of the late bay engine bays isn't symmetrical so you just can't do it that way. I ended up measuring from the axle flanges to center all of it.

my exhaust system was tight to say the least. now with the engine shoved back, it is just going to get even tighter....

you may see in one of the photos the harness connector. I laid out the harness, because again the whole business is shoved back more than that of a 4 speed.

I am kind of glad the carrier is almost done. it is quite a lot of work to make them, test fit and weld, especially when you have a bunch of loose pieces. I wanted to make dam sure the engine/trans was centered before I welded on the end caps.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

last test fit Dancing

look ma, no straps Very Happy the reason for all of the in/out,in/out,in/out was to make sure everything was going to work. here's to hoping I didn't miss anything.

also got the fuel filler access panel all done

not sure why the supports look funny in the photo. it is on a odd angle, but trust me, they're straight

the gaps look big, but are only a fine saw blade thick. I 100% hated to do this, but the aftermarket forced me to. I just can't see the replacement ones lasting more than a year or so. they are so friggen cheesy. this will make replacement on the road a 2 second job....because he will keep on in the bus at all times...

also set the manifold on there so I can get an idea of where lines will need to run.

it is pretty much all laid out now. I have to clean up some cuts, but beyond that it's time to clean and paint the engine bay. we aren't going to paint the whole bay, just treat and touch up here and there.

overall, it is in good shape. there is this nasty poopy goopy hateful stuff in there that I will clean up and touch up as needed. the initial power wash took care of quite a lot of it, but man, I would need a pressure washer full of lacquer thinner to get this crud off.

after I get the engine bay all set, it's final assembly, wiring, build the exhaust etc...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Look'in good Skills. Lots of mock up on this one aye?

I just picked up a water boxer Subi swap job this weekend. Guy is going to purchase everything from a company in Phoenix that buys up the low mileage engines out of Japan. Good reputable business for the last 25 years or so, deal mainly with the sand and buggy crowds. I get to install it all and make it run.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

thanks!

yes, the 5 speed was way more than I expected in terms of what had to be done.

the time spent was staggering, BUT those who know me and how I work, I don't go for the "git-r-done" approach. I have learned quite a lot from this. I have been doing my best to kind of split some time with ride-on in terms of the fabrication. I just don't think I have it in me to bill him for every hour.

then there were surprises around every corner....the crushed tank being one of them. original rubber brake hoses were another. as I have said in the past, no one has brought me a perfect bus, and that isn't a dig on the bus owner at all....it's just the truth. Daveark's bus was the same deal...bad ball joints, old brake hoses etc etc etc....we are putting a LOT of power into these, so EVERYTHING need to be fresh...by no way is it a money grab, it's a safety thing.

I have had to work a bit backwards in some areas, like the mock up. typically I have the engine in and out 1-3 times with a swap. this one has been in and out around 7....transmission roughly 10 times. I don't mind though....I am working with a great guy.

one word of advice I would give you...if you are doing a swap for anyone...screen them, and screen them hard. if you have 1 doubt the guy is an asshole, pass on the job...you don't need the money that bad, or the aggravation that comes with it. I have been screening people who want the swap. I'm not being arrogant but trust me when I tell you that having the right person makes these swaps fun. it's like a marriage....shit WILL go sideways on all of these conversions....I have done enough to know this. it's how both parties handle it that matters.

the absolute worse part is you don't know what you're getting into until you dive in. there is stuff that is impossible to see until you dive in.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Looks great so far. I can't remember and I'm too lazy to go back and look. Very Happy It's getting a 5 speed suby trans too?

If so, that will be a fun bus to drive. Question Don- are these Subaru conversions quieter inside the cab vs. the original stock VW engines with stock mufflers?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Nice job skills. Can you find my previous owner, rip the can opener from him, and punch him in the throat. Thanks. You the best Very Happy

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Xevin, you sure about the can opener? Looks a bit like the outline of an anvil dropped from 20ft? 😀

Awesome work Skills! The fun parts are underway...

I had a ride in Skills Deluxe and, yes, definitely quieter than our 77 Westy. His has the same muffler and similar sound deadening, but ours has the Westy interior, so should be even a little quieter still? Wait a minute... Skills... you said the kids wouldn't be able to hear us talk! That could be a downside... (we have to yell back now, so very much looking forward to a somewhat more peaceful ride.

And yes, Subarugears 5sp. Figured if we are going to go, we better do the full deal.

And supporting what Skills said about interviewing your swapee, from the owner perspective, we had the same thought - very much a must to know who will be doing the work, how they work and communicate, and ultimately see if you could work with them if and when the fan gets stinky. It's an old vehicle, shits gonna fly at some point 💩💥☔️
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Hey Bill! As ride-on pointed out, yes...scary quiet. Don't forget, we are turning about 3k at 70...not 3800/4k like the air cooled mill spins. That right there is an iimprovement alone.

Add the sound dampning and its real nice. I am sure the camper mattress will only help kill more noise. Honestly, they are a treat to drive when you don't have a fan spooled up to make air flow over the engine. Ride-on has been fantastic to work with when the shit did hit the fan. Pretty sure there is no more fan hitting shit in store for us at this point

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
babysnakes wrote:
Xevin, is that plain or buttered?

Hot Butter Laughing
(I think Skills will be whistling this as he works)

how do you find this gold!

youtube showed this one next..

Link

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

can a seal for the trap door be added? Even like a thin vacuum hose cut down the middle and pushed onto the panel edge, sort of like the trick for bumper guard seals? Theoretically there shouldn't be a problem but I would worry about fumes in the cabin if a hose cracked or something...

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Quote:
I have to say, having a lift and a transmission jack makes the work less back breaking.

You suck skills. Real men can wrestle in an M56 single handed in the driveway

(Now that you saved my a$$ I can insult you again..)

all in love..

Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 23

Jump to: