Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newby
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sagle23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Newby Reply with quote

I have recently purchased and 86 vanagon tin top and noticed there is two battery slot under each seat. The one is occupied to run the vehicle and the other is empty. What is the second port for?
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Newby Reply with quote

Its a compartment for a second battery. The weekenders come with them wired up to the alternator and ready to rock.

My 84 westy at least needed some modifications before I could add the battery. Search AUX Battery and you'll find a billion posts. The online parts sites have kits to get you what you need. Research a good bit before you buy to avoid wasting money. (check gowesty.com or van-cafe.com for the kits)

I've got my second battery wired to power a bunch of stuff I use while camping and also have a solar panel and charge controller to top it off while I'm not driving. Having a second battery takes all the worry out of power use while camping. Its also not great to use your main starter battery as a camping battery because that's not how they are designed to be discharged. There is a world of info out there on this topic that's worth reading on this site.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: