Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hella battery isolator relay help
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: hella battery isolator relay help Reply with quote

note: checked search first and did not see any answers to these specific questions. probably there somewhere.

question 1. what the hell is that little blue thing in the foreground of the first photo ?

question 2. in photo 2 the black wire #86 on the diagram is the trigger wire to the alternator circuit. can i just run it to the output terminal on the alternator and call it good ?

thks,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"what good are tractors without violins ?" jose figueres
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: hella battery isolator relay help Reply with quote

#1 is a Scotchlock connector, it's for tapping into a wire, not the best way to do it long term, but quick and convenient.
#2 taps into the blue wire on the regulator (charge light circuit), likely what that blue gizmo is for.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: hella battery isolator relay help Reply with quote

busdaddy, thks for the help

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: hella battery isolator relay help Reply with quote

Busdaddy was too nice.

That first thing is a piece of crap that should be beaten to death with a hammer and fed to the guy who invented it.

They have no current handling capacity, and generally damage any wire to which they are attached. I've seen more damaged wiring harnesses from using these things than I ever want to remember.

Use them at your own peril....
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: hella battery isolator relay help Reply with quote

oh jeez, now you tell me...i remember your name from one of my searches on this subject, but could not remember the exact thread. went back and tried to find but, the adult beverage ship has sailed

unrelated question or partially related, how best/necessary to ground the new auxillary battery ?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: hella battery isolator relay help Reply with quote

The ground has to be big enough to handle all the systems connected to it combined, a premade cable from the FLAPS is the best choice, you may not be cranking with it but better to go on the heavy side just because you can. Any bit of permanent body sheet metal will do to attach it, sand the paint off both sides of the hole you drill and grease up all the washers and hardware you use to attach it.

As Telford says those Scotchloks are rather savage, cutting the wire and reconnecting it with a butt connector with 2 wires in one end is the better choice, some grease in the butt connector and shrink wrap over the whole deal afterwards is even better.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: hella battery isolator relay help Reply with quote

will do on all of the above, thks

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: hella battery isolator relay help Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Busdaddy was too nice.

That first thing is a piece of crap that should be beaten to death with a hammer and fed to the guy who invented it.

They have no current handling capacity, and generally damage any wire to which they are attached. I've seen more damaged wiring harnesses from using these things than I ever want to remember.

Use them at your own peril....

I disagree that they should be given orally, alternative orfices should be utilized
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: hella battery isolator relay help Reply with quote

i believe my alternator has an internal regulator. when i remove the small red wire on my alternator the dash alternator light goes off. so i'm thinking that's the wire i need to tap #86 (trigger wire from alt circuit) into, but want to check with the experts before i create a smoking crater....thks

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: hella battery isolator relay help Reply with quote

Yes, that's the one, but why is it red/black?, does that splice into the blue near the firewall? If it does find the joint and make sure it's well done (hint: that crappy blue jacketed crimp on the alternator end is not well done).

Слава Україні!
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: hella battery isolator relay help Reply with quote

yep it looks even crappier in person. will redo connection and find the connection to the blue wire and redo as well.

many thks for the help

mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: hella battery isolator relay help Reply with quote

all done. works perfect. many thks to those that replied.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: