Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body Fitment
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Fitment Reply with quote

nick.falconer wrote:
I have finally flipped the body back over and put it back on the chassis.

The width is now very good and the cutout for the MC reservoir worked out very well.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Nice little mod for the master cylinder reservoir. I had a slight hit in that area on my Buggy so I switched the reservoir end for end, putting the cap to the front and the other end, which comes up right past the master cylinder fitting, toward the fiberglass body. That was enough to clear in my case. I had to plug the top fitting in the front of the master cylinder and use a splitter (like used in the back) to run to both front brakes from the front side port. That means I'm ready to add a proportioning valve to the front to better balance the brakes. Another minor modification was welding a small bracket on the top of the tunnel that prevents me from hitting the plastic reservoir as I set the body onto the chassis.
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Body Fitment Reply with quote

Man the things I could do with that MDF cutter. Looking good
nick.falconer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Fitment Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
nick.falconer wrote:
I have finally flipped the body back over and put it back on the chassis.

The width is now very good and the cutout for the MC reservoir worked out very well.
Nice little mod for the master cylinder reservoir. I had a slight hit in that area on my Buggy so I switched the reservoir end for end, putting the cap to the front and the other end, which comes up right past the master cylinder fitting, toward the fiberglass body. That was enough to clear in my case. I had to plug the top fitting in the front of the master cylinder and use a splitter (like used in the back) to run to both front brakes from the front side port. That means I'm ready to add a proportioning valve to the front to better balance the brakes. Another minor modification was welding a small bracket on the top of the tunnel that prevents me from hitting the plastic reservoir as I set the body onto the chassis.

Thanks, this way seemed to be the simplest way as I need to build in the lip anyway.

Hot Air wrote:
Man the things I could do with that MDF cutter. Looking good

It is definitely handy having access to all the machines at work.

I have had another look at the front fenders and I think joescoolcustoms is right. I have had a play with jacking the front fender and it has helped but I can't quite get it lifted to the same height. The picture below is with a jack between the wheel and fender.

I think the issue now is the re-enforcing that was put in under the sides is stopping it from moving higher. I think I will cut it and see if it helps then re-glass it to keep it there.

I also placed another jack under the front and that has bought it closer, but measuring in the same place as before it now sits 10mm different in height.

Hopefully cutting that re-enforcing will help.

Once I have it level I will figure out some way of holding it there. I was thinking of making a ring around where the fuel tank goes and tying that back to the chassis somehow. I have also seem on here some brackets that go from the beam to the bit in front of the fuel tank, so I might try and make a couple of those up to put in there too.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Body Fitment Reply with quote

Bruce Meyers originally designed two separate braces from the top of the beam to the bottom of the glass underneath the fuel tank to support the weight of the tank and fuel load.

You may consider making one for the right side, bolt in place and then make one for the left side, jack up and install. I typically make a one piece brace with a angle under the glass and two "legs" coming down to the beam to bolt on.

The last picture looks really square.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: