Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch tube problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Clutch tube problems Reply with quote

I'm trying to fix multiple problems on a dune buggy we recently bought. The latest problem is with the clutch tube. When I went to replace the Bowden tube, I noticed that the clutch tube itself is loose. I can pull it out of the tunnel more than a few inches and slide it back (see pictures showing this movement). Plus the end of the clutch tube itself is damaged from friction of the cable wearing a groove in the tip.

I've read various posts about opening up the tunnel to tack weld down the tube in a couple places. I really don't want to have to do that, but I think I have no choice. My questions are:

Does anyone sell new clutch tubes? I don't see any advertised. Mine is damaged, so I'd rather replace it if possible.
How many places will I have to cut open the tunnel to do the welds?
Can anyone recommend a welder or someone that could do this work in the San Francisco Bay Area?
On the photo with my removed pedal assembly, how do the metal tabs on the left of the picture get reinstalled? Does one go on top of the other? It came apart so fast, I didn't get a good look at how it was installed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

grantbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch tube problems Reply with quote

Adding another picture showing an existing opening in the tunnel.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch tube problems Reply with quote

Do some searches of the Oval and 1958-67 Beetle forums. Hover you mouse cursor over the "Forums" button above, and in the pop up list that appears left click on the "Search" feature. Next page check the "Search Titles Only" box to cut down in threads that just barely mention the subject.

Try "Clutch tube" or "Clutch tube replacement". The later beetles have a more robust anchoring/welding of the tube.

Sure you can do the job without cutting open the chassi hump, but you will not like the results.

BTW from the look of your MC the DPO dropped the tube reinforcements that the bolts are supposed to pass though that double wall. You probably can fish them out with a magnet from there and get rid of the jury rigged aluminum plates that have been added. Skip doing that and the steel walls up there will crack and fail...
grantbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch tube problems Reply with quote

Thank you. I thought there might be a missing double wall reinforcement part behind those aluminum plates, but I check with a magnet, and there aren't any that dropped into the gap. Can you buy these reinforcing parts?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch tube problems Reply with quote

grantbar wrote:
Thank you. I thought there might be a missing double wall reinforcement part behind those aluminum plates, but I check with a magnet, and there aren't any that dropped into the gap. Can you buy these reinforcing parts?

Probably can buy those thru the classifieds on this very web site. Search and do not be afraid to post a "WTB" advertisement.

In a pinch you should be able to make them from steel tubing that fits the stock bolts. Do get rid of those studs and nuts you have right now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: