Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remove front trailing arms
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zebbman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Remove front trailing arms Reply with quote

Bought a used beam. Mine is bad. Now I'm thinking this one may be as well. Only has lower trailing arms/torsion arms. Upper were off when I got it. Removed the retaining bolts on both sides. Screw as well. Everything I have read say they slide right out or possibly a bit of persuasion needed. Well I persuaded for an hour and they won't budge. I need to replace the seals. Sooooo, before I persuade it to the junk man I thought I'd ask. Anyone have any thoughts on getting these off. Thanks
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove front trailing arms Reply with quote

Have you removed the center screw that locks the torsion bars in place? I recall reading someone suggesting that so you don't form a vacuum inside the beam while pulling the torsion arms off, although it seems unlikely there would be enough to hold the arms on that strongly.
zebbman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove front trailing arms Reply with quote

Yes I have. They won't move. Literally.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Remove front trailing arms Reply with quote

When you say the torsion arms won't move, does that include up and down, in addition to "sideways" (i.e. sliding out)? If so, they may be seriously rusted into place -- lower tubes especially known to collect water and rust up, if not sealed and greased properly.

If they do move up and down freely (not sticking) however, next question would be if you tried heating to help free them up for sliding out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zebbman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Remove front trailing arms Reply with quote

Yes they do move up and down (spring type action). They just won't slide out. I thought about rust as well but wasn't sure. . I'll get a torch today and give that a go. Thanks for the idea.
zebbman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove front trailing arms Reply with quote

Finally got one side off and yes, rust is the issue. So much so that I can't even knock the springs and other arm out the other way. 2 questions. If I do happen to get the springs and arm out the other side is it ok to use this beam with new springs and arm? Should I find another beam? Not an easy task.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove front trailing arms Reply with quote

Sounds like you just need a bigger hammer. Laughing

You have to inspect the beam to determine if it is reusable. The bearings and bushings can be replaced, but someone needs to check to see if the beam is rusted or bent enough to prevent it's reuse.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
zebbman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove front trailing arms Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll find another I think. It was cheap enough to throw away any how.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: