Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advancing a cam
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

I know there's topics on here about it but they don't really seem to answer the question. Deciding on a cam for another build. Going with a custom Steve Long grind. Exr 304 specs are 264@ .050 and .399 lift at cam.

Having it made on a 110 lobe and having 4 degrees of advance build into the grind. In layman's terms, what will the overall result be?
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

Odd you're having a cam ground with such adventurous specs without understanding how lobe separation and timing affect things..
In theory widening the LSA and advancing have opposing effects, one raises peak torque rpm but lowers peak torque whilst the other lowers peak torque rpm whilst increasing peak torque Very Happy
Perhaps straight up on a 108lsa would've yielded the same results? I doubt it...

If it doesn't get derailed in usual 5lug fashion it could make for an interesting thread.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

If you're considering doing this you should ask the cam builder what the effects will be on the engine - that's their job. You must have been thinking about this for a time - why do you think it's worth it? You obviously believe its a good idea - why?

As for the net results? It may move the torque up the RPM range. Probably not by much. You can buy adjustable cam sprockets. Why not use one of those? If you don't like the advance you'll be able to retard it to stock spec or even retarded some. You'll need to remove the oil pump to change the advance mechanism but with this reground cam you won't have that option - you'd need to pull the motor and split the case should you find you don't like the characteristics of the regrind. Better fully understand what you're doing before you jump into this.

What I like about that grind you're going with is the somewhat gentle ramps on the lift. That should help keep lifter bores within spec. Your cam is similar to the 2242 Eagle cam I used in my 2110 build. I use 1.25:1 high ratio rockers. Works pretty good for all around driving.

The 2242 Eagle profile:

Adv. Duration 298°
Dur. @ .050" 248°
Lift @ cam .389"
Lift w/1.1:1 Rocker Arms .428" (my total lift is .486")

I'm also using Manton chromoly pushrods. They add some to the noise present but aren't overwhelming.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Odd you're having a cam ground with such adventurous specs without understanding how lobe separation and timing affect things..
In theory widening the LSA and advancing have opposing effects, one raises peak torque rpm but lowers peak torque whilst the other lowers peak torque rpm whilst increasing peak torque Very Happy
Perhaps straight up on a 108lsa would've yielded the same results? I doubt it...

If it doesn't get derailed in usual 5lug fashion it could make for an interesting thread.

Not odd at all. I spoke to Steve Long on Friday afternoon after work about it. Basically I'm looking for the holy grail.....power everywhere in the rpm range. The way I understood it from him is that the 110 lobe will spread the torque out throughout the rpm range ( nice flat torque "curve" ) and advancing the cam will help to bring the torque on early with my combination. Should make power to about 6200 rpm or so. And the torque should be big. He also, unlike a lot of folks, suggested keeping a 1 5/8 header.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

OLD VW NUT wrote:
If you're considering doing this you should ask the cam builder what the effects will be on the engine - that's their job. You must have been thinking about this for a time - why do you think it's worth it? You obviously believe its a good idea - why?

As for the net results? It may move the torque up the RPM range. Probably not by much. You can buy adjustable cam sprockets. Why not use one of those? If you don't like the advance you'll be able to retard it to stock spec or even retarded some. You'll need to remove the oil pump to change the advance mechanism but with this reground cam you won't have that option - you'd need to pull the motor and split the case should you find you don't like the characteristics of the regrind. Better fully understand what you're doing before you jump into this.

What I like about that grind you're going with is the somewhat gentle ramps on the lift. That should help keep lifter bores within spec. Your cam is similar to the 2242 Eagle cam I used in my 2110 build. I use 1.25:1 high ratio rockers. Works pretty good for all around driving.

The 2242 Eagle profile:

Adv. Duration 298°
Dur. @ .050" 248°
Lift @ cam .389"
Lift w/1.1:1 Rocker Arms .428" (my total lift is .486")

I'm also using Manton chromoly pushrods. They add some to the noise present but aren't overwhelming.

I have been thinking about it for a while. I'm looking for torque that peaks early and stays there and horsepower that builds through the rpm range up to just over 6,000 rpm....I think making power above that is just a waste of good bearing material. I don't quite fully understand it yet but I will. Something as complex as cam design theories takes a bit to soak in and shake around. I'll get there, but with everything I do it will take some time....there'll be trial and error I'm sure. To me that's part of the fun. I have to pull my 2276 anyway to get the trans out and car ready for the new Rancho trans that's coming. I don't mind it at all......I have to split that case anyway, the cb straight cuts going clackety clack has pissed me off. I wanted the straight cut whine. Got a set of magnum straight cuts going in. It'll also allow me to have a good luck at everything inside.....bearings....cam and lifter wear pattern. I enjoy it.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

He is correct, and then again not. You cannot say so unless you know the exact combo. X heads and y cam may work awesome while X heads and Z cam will be a dawg.
List the specs youre considering, then we can tell. T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

just hope it dosent eff up your DSR......DCR...rsvp....rip?thats it letter rip!!!
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
He is correct, and then again not. You cannot say so unless you know the exact combo. X heads and y cam may work awesome while X heads and Z cam will be a dawg.
List the specs youre considering, then we can tell. T

Pretty much same combo I'm running with the 2276. 10:1 cr
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

OK. In MY opinion.
Even though the Super Proīs have very good flownumbers and general port velocity, they - are - on the large side for a cam in the 260ish degrees @ 0,050" range and it would definitely be a lesser desireable choice to chose a cam with higher lobe center. What you want is a cam that has the behaviure of making good DCR relatively early in the rpm. That means that the XR 300 cams in general are excluded. Your best choice will be a cam ground on 106 -108 LC and then adjust the rpm band with the duration and lift, roughly spoken.

I would simply get a cam that is ground on 107-108 LC. Then advance it to where you want the intake to open and let the exhaust do what it does. Slightly "big" heads like that typically likes the intake LC to be at 105-106 LC. Then you chose the behaviure you want. You say that you want the power to keep up to about 6200 rpm. Thatīs no biggie.

In my book that gives you these options, plus one or two.

CB 2288.
Pauter T1E8
Web 86b installed on 106ILC.
Engle FK45 installed on 105 ILC*
Even the FK44 on 106 ILC*

* I would have these ground on a fatter lobe so they are not so harsh on the lifter bores. But thatīs me.

And yes I would also stay with a good 1 5/8" header when lower rpm torque is more important than peak hp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
OK. In MY opinion.
Even though the Super Proīs have very good flownumbers and general port velocity, they - are - on the large side for a cam in the 260ish degrees @ 0,050" range and it would definitely be a lesser desireable choice to chose a cam with higher lobe center. What you want is a cam that has the behaviure of making good DCR relatively early in the rpm. That means that the XR 300 cams in general are excluded. Your best choice will be a cam ground on 106 -108 LC and then adjust the rpm band with the duration and lift, roughly spoken.

I would simply get a cam that is ground on 107-108 LC. Then advance it to where you want the intake to open and let the exhaust do what it does. Slightly "big" heads like that typically likes the intake LC to be at 105-106 LC. Then you chose the behaviure you want. You say that you want the power to keep up to about 6200 rpm. Thatīs no biggie.

In my book that gives you these options, plus one or two.

CB 2288.
Pauter T1E8
Web 86b installed on 106ILC.
Engle FK45 installed on 105 ILC*
Even the FK44 on 106 ILC*

* I would have these ground on a fatter lobe so they are not so harsh on the lifter bores. But thatīs me.

And yes I would also stay with a good 1 5/8" header when lower rpm torque is more important than peak hp.

Hmm..

Confusing. Lookiing at the numbers the exr304 is similar to the 86b, fk45
Fk45 [email protected] .401 lift...rough ramps
Exr304 [email protected] .399 lift....and gentle ramps
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

just put a super charger on it and it will pull.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

Or a Turbo for more power than you could ever hope for.......with a small engine.

No fancy cams needed. Wink

Link

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Or a Turbo for more power than you could ever hope for.......with a small engine.

No fancy cams needed. Wink

Link

Damn Shocked
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

Yes the. XR300's have gentle ramps. Too gentle imho. Because on such engine it will cost you 15 hp maybe more plus 10 to 15% torque. Then whats the idea in spending a lot of money for a powerfull engine.
If you want lower rpm torque you have chosen the wrong cylinderheads. As such. But many things are possible if you do it right
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

Still playing around with cam ideas. All parts are ordered and I'm awaiting delivery. Case should be done soon also. Went with another set of SLR treated scat lifters..they arrived today. Magnaspark 2 distributor from cb arrives tomorrow. Went ahead and ordered a fresh set of AA 94mm p and c's..all ordered Grant rings and total seal 2nd rings. Taking zero chances with AA to b's.

The newest idea I've had is another xr310...tbis one on a 110 lobe. And advanced 2 to 4 degrees. My understanding g is that the wider lobe will spread out the torque and peak later in the rpm's...and advancing it will bring it down to where the torque builds earlier....and with the 110 lobe it should drop off later.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

If you widen the lobe center, then advance it the same amount, then the intake events are the same, and what you have moved is the exhaust. Exhaust opens sooner and less overlap. I don't think that will do what you expect.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

modok wrote:
If you widen the lobe center, then advance it the same amount, then the intake events are the same, and what you have moved is the exhaust. Exhaust opens sooner and less overlap. I don't think that will do what you expect.

Like I said....still playing around with it. It's a very confusing subject. I read somewhere that a 110 vs a 106 will have more overall up and better torque down low. Is this correct....all things being equal?
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

Basically, yes. You have less overlap, and closing the intake later, so, probably, however....if you don't have enough overlap the mid AND top end could take a hit.

Are these the old super-pro or the new super-pro?? they grew you know Shocked
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Advancing a cam Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Basically, yes. You have less overlap, and closing the intake later, so, probably, however....if you don't have enough overlap the mid AND top end could take a hit.

Are these the old super-pro or the new super-pro?? they grew you know Shocked

Older 44x 37.5 super pros
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: