Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

86 Cabrio A/C question
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: 86 Cabrio A/C question Reply with quote

Hello

I am thinking of purchasing an 86 Cabrio with a non working A/C. The current owner has not had the A/C diagnosed, so I don't have any details to work from and I am trying to decide if this is the car for us or not.

What are the common failures in the A/C for this year and model?

Are the parts for this year and model available? Major parts like the evap, compressor and condenser.

How hard is it to work on the major elements of the A/C, specifically would I have to disassemble the dash to work on the interior components, or remove the engine to work on the compressor?

What should I budget if I have to have the entire system, all components including the rubber hoses, replaced by a shop?

Thanks
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Cabrio A/C question Reply with quote

The condensers are NLA & replacing the system will quickly exceed the value of the car.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Cabrio A/C question Reply with quote

It's not a Cabrio, it's a Cabriolet. It helps when asking a question.

As for the A/C, the condensers fail regularly because the high pressure line from the compressor to the condenser shakes so much they crack. Good luck finding a new one and since the used ones are all cracked, that's out of the question too. What I did with mine was to by a universal one and had lines modified/made so it would work.

The rest of the components are usually ok.

Then there is always opening the top to cool you off.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: 86 Cabrio A/C question Reply with quote

Intrinsic wrote:
How hard is it to work on the major elements of the A/C, specifically would I have to disassemble the dash to work on the interior components, or remove the engine to work on the compressor?

The only components accessed in the dash are for air distribution. Everything else is accessed via the engine bay.

It would be wise for the seller to get the system diagnosed, but I digress. It could be as simple as being low on Freon, or as expensive as a faulty compressor.

Butcher wrote:
It's not a Cabrio, it's a Cabriolet. It helps when asking a question.

Rolling Eyes The year was stated; that's what matters.

VW never had the "Cabriolet" and "Cabrio" model names trademarked; take a good guess as to why.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

^VW brochure

Butcher wrote:
Then there is always opening the top to cool you off.

Not when it's 110° or 90% humid. Venture outside the Pacific Northwest once in awhile.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 86 Cabrio A/C question Reply with quote

They did not make an 86 VW Cabrio in the USA. How do I know if there is a typo that it's a 96? It's just words of advice to use the proper terms, not to get into a pissing match. Rolling Eyes
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 86 Cabrio A/C question Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
They did not make an 86 VW Cabrio in the USA. How do I know if there is a typo that it's a 96? It's just words of advice to use the proper terms, not to get into a pissing match. Rolling Eyes

A) The convertibles were never made in the USA, they were made in Germany and sold here.

B) Do you jump on people for saying "Rabbit Cabriolet" or "Rabbit Cabrio" or even "Golf I Cabriolet"? 'Cuz VW never sold one of those in the USA either, but they're all the same friggin' cars. Rolling Eyes
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Cabrio A/C question Reply with quote

That is what I said "They did not make an 86 VW Cabrio in the USA". They did not make one for the USA either.

I point out things that are not right. We are all wrong at times. I believe you know that I point out things wrong more than most. It's what I do for a living. It's a tick of mine which makes me good at what I do. Was I condescending? That is up to the person reading it. There was no intention to put someone down and if I did, I'm sorry.

You too point out corrections and typically you are spot on. Do I get on you because you correct others? Not no, but heck no.

Get over it. Maybe I should change my handle to Briano1234 or Tolusina, would that help?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: