Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
syncro surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Anyone use the Entyre 215 70 15 ? It's a 4 ply B 98 rather than the XL 100
on the 205.

I'd rather go with 215's - my tin top syncro is happy on the highway with a taller tire - Is the XL actually more plys? Why would they make a different tire in such a close size?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

The XL has to have some kind of extra reinforcements to be rated that way but it isn't like an LT tire. The XL size is smaller and only gets it higher rating at 41 psi, whereas the 215 carries its full weight at 35psi. But both of them can carry the weight of the van safely.

Either one is fine and I doubt you could tell the difference between them. I'd probably get the 215 and run them at 35-40 front and 44 rear.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

new tire popped up on my Fleabay search..
$75ea shipped may not be a bad fall/winter/spring choice.

Antares Grip 20 185R14C D/8PR BSW
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-Antares-Grip-20-185R14C-D-8PR-BSW-/322771737378

Item specifics
Brand: Antares
Section Width: 185r14
Tread Depth: 11.0
Weight: 24.39
Manufacturer Part Number: PCR-8811-SNOW-JH
Overall Diameter: 25.6
Load Index: 102/100
Speed Index: Q

Quote:
The Antares Grip 20 tire is an affordable winter tire with hundreds of biting edges in the circumferential center ribs and in the shoulder blocks. This tread pattern will provide grip on ice thanks to these sipes, while the open shoulder allows slush and snow to evacuate the tread area for traction in deep snow and slush. A really well balanced winter tire for the money.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Anybody using General Grabber 205/75 r15s? Reviews comments?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Had a friend here in Germany using them on his 2.5 Subi powered Syncro, and aside from breaking his tranny in the sands of Morocco, he loves them.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Had a friend here in Germany using them on his 2.5 Subi powered Syncro, and aside from breaking his tranny in the sands of Morocco, he loves them.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to assume that the sands broke the tranny, not the tires...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I think that is a fair assumption to make....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

anyone running a 235/65/16 tire? it's 27in tall but not sure if the 235 will fit under a lifted van wheel well?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:

I just mounted 215/75r15, and the fit on 37 offset rims on a 91 Syncro with no rubbing.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

UngaWunga wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:

I just mounted 215/75r15, and the fit on 37 offset rims on a 91 Syncro with no rubbing.

I was looking at the smaller size to keep the diameter at 27". I've read about problems going over 27". Let us know if you feel power loss, especially on hills.

Is your power plant the original? Or have you done a conversion?
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
UngaWunga wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:

I was looking at the smaller size to keep the diameter at 27". I've read about problems going over 27". Let us know if you feel power loss, especially on hills.

Early 2000 Passat 15x6 et37 steel rims with 215/75r15 Grabber AT on the Syncro with the wheel centers opened up and switch wheel lugnuts from T3. Dropped about 500rpms at 65mph as well. The 2.5l Subaru still pulls it fine. Up steep hills I do lose a little speed, but only on steep long hills.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Had to bring the wheels back to the tire shop to get them to balance the wheels on the lugnuts, not the wheel centers. Those wheel weights weren't necessary.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

UngaWunga wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:
UngaWunga wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:

Early 2000 Passat 15x6 et37 steel rims with 215/75r15 Grabber AT on the Syncro with the wheel centers opened up and switch wheel lugnuts from T3. Dropped about 500rpms at 65mph as well. The 2.5l Subaru still pulls it fine. Up steep hills I do lose a little speed, but only on steep long hills.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Had to bring the wheels back to the tire shop to get them to balance the wheels on the lugnuts, not the wheel centers. Those wheel weights weren't necessary.

2.5 explains how you went with a bigger tire. Does the tall sidewall ever feel unstable while cornering?
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:

2.5 explains how you went with a bigger tire. Does the tall sidewall ever feel unstable while cornering?

I keep them aired up. No problems with cornering, even though my van could benefit from new shocks.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Anybody roll BFG 215/75r15 with stock power? How's that?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:

I drive stock diameter, sorry... (BFG 195/75/14) but the math says that the 27" tires you are talking about are around 6% difference. See the first post for what that does to the rest of the mix. There have been lots of folks who do that tho... Remember, 27" don't fit in the spare tire clam shell.

If you don't have hills, it might be okay for your situation. Just think how painfully slow accelerating onto the freeway would be tho.

Also, keep in mind if you run Carat springs, you'd be rubbing on corners with bumps.

EDIT: I looked back at the first post. I have not remembered correctly where the tire diameter discussion is. I will edit a link in when I find it.
bmxanddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Looking for advice... I am currently running 215/70/16's and would like to go to 225/70/16 or 225/75/16's.

Specs
- 2wd westy
- mefro steelies
-1.5" go westy lift
- power is not a problem.

Will the 225 width be a problem with trailing arm clearance?? It seems like a very tight fit...Anyone have real world experience with these sizes???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
g shepherd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:

Late to respond here but yeah I am running those with Rheins on my '87 syncro Adventurewagen. Stock 2.1. I am coming off 195's on the original 14" wheels.

Frankly I haven't noticed much loss in power. The thing was slow to begin with and it still is. It feels way more sure-footed going down the freeway at speed, but also around town on the potholey SD streets. Feels good in the dirt but I didn't do much offroading with the old setup so I've nothing to compare it to. No regrets here.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

g shepherd wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:

Late to respond here but yeah I am running those with Rheins on my '87 syncro Adventurewagen. Stock 2.1. I am coming off 195's on the original 14" wheels.

Frankly I haven't noticed much loss in power. The thing was slow to begin with and it still is. It feels way more sure-footed going down the freeway at speed, but also around town on the potholey SD streets. Feels good in the dirt but I didn't do much offroading with the old setup so I've nothing to compare it to. No regrets here.

How's it going up hills? How about on the street in the rain?
g shepherd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I honestly haven't noticed a big difference going up hills. I am sure the new setup has sapped some power but it hasn't been dramatic. My commute takes me up and over a big hill to the fwy and I try and get a running start, then cruise over it in 3rd in the right hand lane as folks in the left lane speed by. I never get into 4th till the summit, but never need to drop into 2nd either. Same as before.

I can't really say how it handles in the rain-- we haven't had much since I made the switch this past spring.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

g shepherd wrote:
I honestly haven't noticed a big difference going up hills. I am sure the new setup has sapped some power but it hasn't been dramatic. My commute takes me up and over a big hill to the fwy and I try and get a running start, then cruise over it in 3rd in the right hand lane as folks in the left lane speed by. I never get into 4th till the summit, but never need to drop into 2nd either. Same as before.

I can't really say how it handles in the rain-- we haven't had much since I made the switch this past spring.

Thanks for the reply.

I imagine mpg on flat highways is improved?

If you ever go over the Tioga Pass from Mono Lake to Tuolumne Meadows (Yosemite) let me know how it goes. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 57

Jump to: