Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 333, 334, 335 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I did a bunch of to-dos today to my 69.

New Wolfsburg West rear view mirror (I got one from J-Bugs first, nothing like the original)
New sun visors and visor clips
New 3 point seat belts
The previous owner put in a new glove box, but used no clips or surround and did not put the hood latch back in . So I reattached all that.

No pics of the work but enjoyed the moon on an evening cruise.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
PA050310 by Joe, on Flickr
PA050324 by Joe, on Flickr

-Joe
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

^^^ beautiful pictures.
Rotos71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: took the 1971 super Rotary 12a out for a spin. Reply with quote

Rotos71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: took the 1971 super Rotary 12a out for a spin. Reply with quote

Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Fixed the generator warning light "issue". Gen. light had been coming on intermittently, more when the lights were on, and even more so when wipers were on with the lights. More frequently at lower RPMs, but once in a while just buzzing down the road. Lights were "flickering" brighter as well, and the speedo light would flicker brighter and dimmer in time with the other lights. Checked generator brushes first, still had a good 1/4 inch past the holders. Replaced voltage regulator, which may have been original, or close to it, and that seems to have fixed it, nice steady lights the past two mornings. No rain forecast until next week to try the wipers, tho. Bought an Echlin points unit from NAPA (made in China, so we'll see how that lasts), couldn't score a Bosch solid state one anywhere local ("unavailable"). All (There are only NAPA, O'Reilly, and Advanced here) the stores had regulators, but only NAPA had a name brand, albeit made in China.
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Son had been a good guy earlier in the week, and gave a college buddy a jump. Then as he's driving down the road he loses response on the gas pedal. Engine would turn over, but no fire. Re-connected the positive side o-ring clip at battery terminal for the fuel pump lead. No good deed goes unpunished.

Next we need to put some sort of electrical insulation on the back seat bar just in front of the battery. As he was tightening the positive side down with a socket, arched across the wrench to that rail. I was observing and thought I had gone blind for a second. He still can't recall if he was literally shocked, or just the pop! frightened him Laughing
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Tried out panel beating the nasty driver rear quarter on my bug. Never done this work before and I'm happy with how it turned out.

SeamusBlack32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Today I restored a roof rack I recently bought. Bought the rack for $60. Took it apart, wire wheeled any rust off, painted the metal matte black and cut new oak slats. I think it turned out pretty sweet.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Well, not today but yesterday I finished redoing the brake system and finally got the bug inspected. It failed inspection the first time (about a week ago, no brake lights), this time it passed. After almost a month of borrowing cars my bug is back on the road. Very Happy
dkash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Drove it to work today! Well, I do that everyday....

AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Made a new rear luggage compartment cover board. Online was asking $80! About 4 hours of work and $20 in materials later and it looks like new!

Also put some of that corrugated split plastic wiring protector on several areas. Gotta get some larger sized pieces too for some of the main wiring looms.

Had sanded and repainted my spare wheel the other day. Finally got a chance switch out the black rim tire and put the silver rim (matching wheels currently on the car) back in this evening.

And of course I took the scenic route home today to run the flat 4 a little longer too.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

Also put some of that corrugated split plastic wiring protector on several areas. Gotta get some larger sized pieces too for some of the main wiring looms.

Why? What are you protecting the wires from? Laughing (It's your car, but I really do hate that stuff.)

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Since my son swapped cars with me, I had the bug on Sunday.

Swamped out the interior, wiped everything down with mild Simple Green solution, then treated all the surfaces with 303 protectant. Cleaned all the glass inside. Rinsed the outside, scrubbed the tires, and 303 on those as well. The RainX on the exterior glass, and adjusted the one wiper that somehow was on backwards and not contacting the windshield. Total time: 1.5 hours.

Now, he is all ready for when the rains come here in SoCal Rolling Eyes
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

Why? What are you protecting the wires from? Laughing (It's your car, but I really do hate that stuff.)

Mainly just wanted to protect the wires running to my 12v washer pump that's mounted on the spare tire. Helps to keep the wires up out of the way and gives a buffer if necessary.

Also not a big fan of the metal triangles that VW used back in the day to hold wiring looms in place.
Sharp metal against 40 yr old wiring is just asking for trouble IMHO and to quote my good friend: "Nobody likes electrical fires"
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Cut it. Reply with quote

Bill Cooper's Custom Body Shop in Milton, PA cut the top from my 69 sedan, installed convertible doors and upper quarters.
Then we began putting it back together piece by piece.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Other than going for a cruise I spent part of the day cleaning up around the parts washer. The entire load pictured was in and around it cutting off access. I guess I'm hoarding parts because I took this mess and put it into boxes and stored it for later use. I just hate the way aftermarket pieces fit so I've been saving this OE stuff.

And I found a nice pair of square boss 40 hp heads I didn't know I had.
Kinda rare 65 only with all the updates, best of the best. Very Happy
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I installed an NOS Mexican Bosch 034 distributor I had purchased a few years back. Then I sent the German Boach 034 that was on the engine to Wcfvw69 for restoration. The new distributor gives a lot more advance curve at higher Rpms, and the car started right up with no issues.

It's nice to install a part and have it work right out of the box. It seems I often am not as lucky, even though I usually buy the best parts available.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I took my Bug around the block to charge the battery. Figured it was a better idea then throwing the charger on it. While I was out, I met a cool guy with a 66 Chevelle. I spotted a tig welder in his garage so I quickly made friends with him! After that, I hopped back in the Bug to finish my drive. I went by my other neighbors house and took a quick look at all his VWs. He has like 4 Bugs, a Bus and a Ghia. Another really cool guy. Then back home to enjoy a beer. Was a good little cruise.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679467
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

This was 2 days ago but had my car towed home--so sad! It's one thing to have a starter go and I can get that swapped out but when it's one of these not running at all, stumbling hesitating running with no apparent gas pressure but leaking from the excelerator pump side of the carb who the hell can fix this somewhere close if it's even that and worth having it sent 100miles away to the regular mechanic kind of thing it becomes frustrating--harumph!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I put on a front disc brake kit from Empi in the Bug several months ago. Love the braking power and response but I cannot stand the way the tires rub on the fenders. So, after hours of research, I took the front beam off the Bug. Cut it down two inches, and welded it all back together with adjusters. Put it back in the car and it works so much better - no more rubbing tires. That is a large job but it is doable!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 333, 334, 335 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 334 of 449

Jump to: