Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

We are all rooting for ya!
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

The engine is built up and in the car!!!! So happy. Check it out. Yes, the aluminum tubes need to be reformed. But all in all it installed just right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Hooray!

Did you start the engine, yet? I have high hopes.

If I have one criticism, it would be the removal of that rain guard on the deck lid. I've heard that they inhibit air flow. Assuming your engine is at last a 1600, you want plenty of air flow for the fan. But you might want to get a stock air filter that won't allow water into your carburetor. I saw one in the Samba Classified's yesterday for $35. It had some yellow overspray on it, but looked fine otherwise (just repaint it black).

Hopefully, we can see a picture of it on the road soon.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Interesting. I do want it to stay cool under there. I'll check it out.
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

I absolutely am loving this thread!
Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

It's been an interesting week of just doing every little thing left to do before I can turn the key. Engine oil, transmission fluid, calibrating the pedals, some wiring, putting the truck back together (including wiper motor), torquing *everything* again.

I'm not done working on the shifter. It's a short-throw sport shifter and I don't like it. I can't get a feel for the pattern. It just doesn't move much. And my sons would have trouble with it - so back to a regular shifter. Interesting discovery: the 74 body shell was form an autostick. Maybe the 73 was too, I don't know. I sat there like a total moron trying to figure out the shift diagram on the dash. No worries though. Both the old and the rebuild transmissions are standards. So I'll just cover that up on the dash, lest it confuse the heck our of someone.

I'm waiting on a few items. Fires in CA slowed down the usual speedy JBugs shipments.

I put the fuel filter underneath in the hole near the transmission. It's safely tucked in. And I'm building a little cage for it.

I am NOT looking forward to taking the dash off again! I need to jump two terminals so the car will start without the 73-74 safety feature seat and belt lockout switches. I took all the seat pressure sensors out - they were a mess. And the basic fear of driving a car I built should remind me to wear my seat belt.

I have to torque up the axel nuts. Kept putting that off.

And I'll do a basic alignment in the garage. But honestly I don't fully understand how the tie rods work to do that. I know they turn of course, but I'm not exactly sure how to lock them down safely once I'm done.

Little things: the front seats rock around without the plastic inserts on the railings, the heater tubes aren't on yet and I need the hardware kits to connect the lever wires.

I love the stance. The absolutely got the right tires. I wish the rear tires were a little wider, as seen from the rear. But from the side - right on!

Really want to turn the key this week. The battery is on charge.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

No Fear Fire that puppy up and go
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it....what size tires are you running?
Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

You don't need to remove the dash to jumper that seat belt relay. Just undo the two screws at the bottom of the fuse box, then undo the two screws that hold the fuse box on. I believe Vamram did this, so PM him on exactly how to do it.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

My '74 appears to have a '73 harness from the regulator ro the front so it doesn't have the wiring for the interlock relay. But it may still have been wired to bypass it -

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Very helpful! Since it was so easy I tackled it tonight. To my surprise I could see straight away that it was already "jumped" and the tangle of useless wires is gone. I kept wondering if I had done this - maybe two years ago when I first got the donor body - or if the PO had done it. Funny. I guess I've been at this for a long time. I have hundreds of photos so one day I'll go back and see if I did this years ago. Shocked Anyway, it is done. And I didn't go through the hassle of taking the dash off....thanks for the good advice!

I cleaned up my dash. Gotta do something to cover the radio port hole. I'm going to just use a bluetooth speaker....maybe I'll fasten it there.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Instead of a Bluetooth speaker, I would recommend a head unit by pioneer or Kenwood called a digital media receiver. I forgot the model of the unit I got but there is no CD player, so it’s only about 5” deeps and they are much lighter. Mine doesn’t even have support from above or below, and it can Bluetooth to your phone. Then you don’t have to worry about charging or anything. Mine actually fit into the single din(ish) slot in my dash as well. The previous owner cut mine up a little, but I hear of you do have to cut it’s very very minimal. Then just tie into your cars speakers and it connects every time you start your car. I leave the house with my music playing, hop in the bug and it picks up where I left off. Very futuristic for a bug haha.

If you don’t have speakers, they are so heap now, I think I got a pair of pioneer 6 x 9’s online for $29 on amazon and the 5” round( pretty sure that’s the size) on the dash was $39/pair. The head unit was $89, but I got a demo unit from Best Buy and then price matched it down to $60. Not too bad a price for an audio system.

Just one idea for you
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

I use one of those kenwood media head units as well.

Great interaction with your phone and you can even have 2 things like an ipod blutoothing for music but if your phone rings it will automatically switch and answer it on the speakers.

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

(Thanks for the suggestions...checking them out.)

Had a moment of pure joy last night. RustyBug has electricity, lights, and turns over!!! Very Happy Shhh. Don't tell anyone. Waiting to get Rusty purring before making a big deal.

I did the recommended turning-over to splash the oil around inside the engine. No fuel leaks. No smoke. Sounds good. Turn signals, marker lights are good. Wipers. Even the dash fan.

I had my son stand next to the car with the fire extinguisher. I could tell he was a little disappointed he didn't get to spray me down.

...but while he gets fuel at least to the filter next to the transmission the engine didn't come alive yet.

I didn't really think it would work the very first time.

Checking spark, points, timing, carb float next.

Oh. I replaced the aluminum EMPI sport shifter with a standard ball and stick version - which I prefer. Lots of grease to make it smooth. Much easier to find gears 1-4. But haven't managed to find reverse yet. I know I have to press down...but I must be missing something. I'm pretty certain it's me. (Yes the shifter plate is in with the notch up and to the right).

And the headlights didn't come on, so I guess my hope of the old bulbs working was too optimistic. Checking fuses and wires....

Lots of little things...

Funny how interested the boys are now that it looks like a car and makes some car-like noises.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Didja see the oil pressure light go out while spinning it over? VW is not splash oiled its pressurized.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Usually a new engine will spin over between 20-30 seconds before oil light goes out, you pre-oiled everything don't sweat it. Disconnect coil wire going to distributor cap to prevent accidental start before light goes out. It's gonna smoke and smell bad open all the doors that's paint,grease and god knows what else burning off the new motor, don't be alarmed. Grab a beer run it at fast idle 1500-2000 varying the speed and look for oil and fuel leaks. You set base timing right? Don't sweat it. Soon as it's hot about 20 minutes shut it down and drop the oil, walk away let it drain. Come back 8 hours later check valve adjustment, refill oil, fire it up this time you can idle check timing then warm it up make sure choke pulls off completely. Now dial in the carb, go for short drive drive it 1/2 hour or so. Drop the oil again. If you are using a spin on oil filter you can probably skip this. Good luck the feeling of building your own motor is better than any drug. Very Happy
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Checking those things....

Spark, points, timing are good.

Runs when I put gas down the carb.

Not sure if gas is getting into the float chamber....there was some gas in the bottom but not too much.

Funny. Exact same problem teh car had 4 years ago before I took it apart.

Must be a problem with the carb.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

ToughBug wrote:
Checking those things....

Spark, points, timing are good.

Runs when I put gas down the carb.

Not sure if gas is getting into the float chamber....there was some gas in the bottom but not too much.

Funny. Exact same problem teh car had 4 years ago before I took it apart.

Must be a problem with the carb.

If it's a car you are going to keep I'd be thinking about sending the carb to Tim@volksbitz, he does flawless work and nothing performs as well as OE German carb.
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

I'm not against that. Maybe in the future.

But I'd like to have it run some now. It's been a long road. And somewhat expensive.

I did do a carb rebuild with my dad and uncle, a former VW technician and a Formula V builder. Gotta give that a try.

I think it must be something simple.

Besides how else am I gonna learn, right?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Rebuilding carbs with a kit is easy. But having the tools to rebush and fixing things that can leak that doesn't come in a rebuild kit is the challenge

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: