Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Box
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
kaseyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Steering Box Reply with quote

Had quite a bit of free play in the steering in my 1972 Standard Beetle. I had someone checkout the front end and everything looked good except the wheel bearings and steering box. Successfully replaced both sets of front bearings. The previous owner said the steering box had been rebuilt and was adjusted as much as it could be. Not knowing to trust him or not we watched several videos on how to adjust the steering box and decided to give it a try. Either the steering box was too far gone or we did it incorrectly or a combination of both. Now the nut that has the screw inside of it will not tighten back up. Just turns and turns. Anything I can do to get it tightened back up or am I going to need a new steering box? The play is now worse and I'm not sure how safe it is to even drive it to the shop. If the steering box is shot could I lose steering completely if I try to drive it? Any comments/suggestions are very much welcome. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

dont drive it, get a new box. if you do get a "new" box be sure to remove the top and fill with the proper greessee from tractor supply. fill it full. then readjust the new one corectly.( the top does not come off with just the 4 bolts, the center adjusting studd will have to be screwed all the way in only after the bolts are removed.
kaseyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
dont drive it, get a new box. if you do get a "new" box be sure to remove the top and fill with the proper greessee from tractor supply. fill it full. then readjust the new one corectly.( the top does not come off with just the 4 bolts, the center adjusting studd will have to be screwed all the way in only after the bolts are removed.

Thanks. Know of any good videos or instructions online on how to remove/replace it? Looks like the gas tank may need to be removed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaseyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

Looking online for a new Steering Box. They seem to range from around $115 - $500. Anything I should stay away from? Any suggestions on which one and where to get it?
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

There's a lively discussion on page 2 of the Type 3 Forum re steering boxes. Might be helpful.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

Don't get a new box. Send yours off and have it rebuilt.

If you buy a new box we'll see you posting on here about it after you install it. It's pretty much a guarantee.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

kaseyp wrote:
Looking online for a new Steering Box. They seem to range from around $115 - $500. Anything I should stay away from? Any suggestions on which one and where to get it?

I bought a brand new TRW steering box for my 69 bug about 15 years ago. I've had zero issues with it. Right out of the box it was adjusted spot on. I can't speak to the quality of TRW currently though. You could contact a business selling them and ask if they'll take it back if you find issues with it.

"IF" you can find someone who can CORRECTLY rebuild your original VW box, that would be the direction I'd go. Replacing seals isn't a rebuild though. They need to tell you how they rebuild worn worm gears, shafts and bushings in the box.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

Popcorn
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

Have fun:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660446
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaseyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

I'm probably going to regret it but I'm going to try this one. It's manufactured in China and is cheap so like I said I'll probably regret it but with $13 extra for a warranty if it doesn't work out I can return it for a full refund. They have sold close to 200 and the only complaints or refunds were supposedly due to people buying them for vehicles not on the list for fitment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STEERING-GEAR-BOX-FOR...mp;vxp=mtr
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

You can buy a TRW one for around $120.

Let us know how it goes.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

Take a stab at picking up a used one. that's what I would do
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

The only thing that matters is that it is cheap. Typical VW owner mentality.
kaseyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Appreciate the feedback. I didn't pick it because it was cheap. I picked it because I didn't receive any other suggestions on which new one to pick up and there were no negative reviews. And I really cant afford the $500 version for a car I didn't pay much more than that for.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

Yes sir my mistake. Sorry.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

kaseyp wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Appreciate the feedback. I didn't pick it because it was cheap. I picked it because I didn't receive any other suggestions on which new one to pick up and there were no negative reviews. And I really cant afford the $500 version for a car I didn't pay much more than that for.

To be fair, myself and others shared our good luck with TRW steering gears. They are better than the Chinese brand. There's a thread in the type 3 section about rebuilding gears that you need to look at. He bought one of those gears I think and found issues with it out of the box.

kaseyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
kaseyp wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

To be fair, myself and others shared our good luck with TRW steering gears. They are better than the Chinese brand. There's a thread in the type 3 section about rebuilding gears that you need to look at. He bought one of those gears I think and found issues with it out of the box.

Thanks, Bill. I do appreciate all the feedback. I guess when I read those other threads the comments on the newer TRW boxes got me worried. I'm sure I'll learn a valuable lesson.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Popcorn
you pig you get the last bag of pop corn......hey pizzza!!!
Ive heard the new boxes are crap too but havent had one in my hands. I just reworked a used one for my bug(ball bearings&seals, 2 serks&1 plug and gasket it did not have from vw). you may find a usable one at a swap meet/show I saw one last weekend for $15, I should of got it but didnt feal like carrying it around..... what ever you get may be a crap shoot.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

It's funny the same folks that will acknowledge that aftermarket parts such as distributors and carbs and fuel pumps, sheet metal etc,etc are inferior but think they've somehow won the lottery when they bought an aftermarket steering box. I've seen the working parts measured against OEM. We purchased new boxes and took them apart and reported the findings not one but several. I know it's a heavy lift but if a person reads the entire subject they'd come away with a better understanding of what's available now. The DIYer would also see the specialized tooling involved in doing the job correctly.

Basing a purchase on eBay or Amazon reviews is naive at best but I've come to the realization that for some these lessons must be learned the hard way. I mean no disrespect because I was and still am a skeptic. I really only want what's best for the hobby and have no dog in the hunt I'm not selling anything. Buy one bolt it on and it may work. I took a different path and rebuilt OE spares because just like some other parts it's going to be harder to locate in the future. Best of luck.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Reply with quote

kaseyp wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
kaseyp wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Thanks, Bill. I do appreciate all the feedback. I guess when I read those other threads the comments on the newer TRW boxes got me worried. I'm sure I'll learn a valuable lesson.

Certainly report back your findings with this Chinese copy of the steering gear. Maybe I got lucky with the TRW I bought back in the early 2000's. Honestly, I've no issues with it.

I am a hardcore purist who loves restoring and using the original VW made or supplied parts. My original VW gear was worn out. There was no adjustment left in the worm. At the time I was finishing a 2 year body off restoration. I had no time or inclinations to rebuild the steering gear. My research back then said the rebuilt gears being sold were less than desirable, thus, I bought the new TRW.

I also have a 70' bus that I did tear down the steering box. Luckily there were no terribly worn parts in it so it only required a deep cleaning, new seals, adjusting and a repaint. There are no new steering gears made for the early bays. Folks do sell "rebuilt" gears but I've seen no documented proof that they do anything other than clean, install new seals and paint them. There is a bushing on the main shaft but I don't "think" it's replaced either.

If a shop had the tooling to rebuild these old VW steering gears correctly, it could be a good niche business. However, most VW owners are very cheap and wouldn't pay what it would cost for the restored/rebuilt steering gear.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: