Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My fuel -> oil temp gauge
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: My fuel -> oil temp gauge Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As I have a -60 bug without fuel gauge it's kind of a emty spot. Made my self a "stock" looking oil temp gauge using a cheap oil temp meter and a used fuel meter. The dial was made from modifying the fuel gauge dial and prited on water transfer film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My fuel -> oil temp gauge Reply with quote

Very unique and resourceful, I like it. Wink
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My fuel -> oil temp gauge Reply with quote

Nice!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My fuel -> oil temp gauge Reply with quote

That looks good. How did you print those?

You may be able to put a clear coat over it to make it look more like metal if the original is metal. You definitely have plenty of extras to try out.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: My fuel -> oil temp gauge Reply with quote

It was printed on water transfer paper (transparent) with a laser printer and had a frosted layer of clear coat put on afterwards.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My fuel -> oil temp gauge Reply with quote

That frosty layer is what is throwing me off. How does it look? I am probably just seeing some differences because of the picture.

Did you try without the plastic layer? Maybe it will remove the glare.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: My fuel -> oil temp gauge Reply with quote

If it's the illuminated picture you refer to, it was a test and I only had a cool white LED bulb to try with so the color is not what I'm after, the light hits the dial directly and it was hard taking a picture how it really looked (no glare in real life) I suspect a normal bulb will look better. As it's on white plastic it has some shine throu (but not as much as the picture makes it look) and it makes the black more "dull"/grey. I also made a print with more contrast but I liked this one better as it looks more vintage/aged. I also made a print on white film so it could be transferred to metal/ non white surface, for example the original fuel dial (backside of it) to get rid of the shine through. But I kind of liked how the dial (especially white areas/ numbers) got "lit up" on white plastic. The next thing I tried was painting the back of dial black leaving the numbers unpainted, that looked better. The last thing was using thicker white plastic and that was what I liked best so far.

However the dial is more grey and more matte than the original fuel dial (that are black). I might also try clear coat (only has frosted on the shelf).

Thanks for the input!
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: My fuel -> oil temp gauge Reply with quote

fantastic
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: My fuel -> oil temp gauge Reply with quote

Very nice!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: My fuel -> oil temp gauge Reply with quote

It's lots of trial and error until you get it exactly how you want it.

If you have one without plastic on it you might try a clear coat that doesn't shine. This might make it look like metal without a gloss.

Another way might be to look for metallic looking paper and only print the letters and lines. This way you are printing on a metallic looking surface already.
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: My fuel -> oil temp gauge Reply with quote

Black painted backside version of dial (leaving the area of numbers/index unpainted). Again in real life the numbers are not as bright/ blurred
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My fuel -> oil temp gauge Reply with quote

Great work Wink
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My fuel -> oil temp gauge Reply with quote

So cool!!

And here I am with points and sparks plugs still in the box from two weeks ago because I’m too lazy to mess with it Embarassed
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: My fuel -> oil temp gauge Reply with quote

Nice!! What type of sender are you using and where is it placed on the engine?
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: My fuel -> oil temp gaauge Reply with quote

I'm planning on using the sender that came with the oil gauge I gutted. As to where to place it i'm not sure but I'm thinking of the sump plate (easy but maybe not the best). I'm not going to intall it before I have my 36hp ww Okrasa engine ready.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: