Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34 PICT Carb
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: 34 PICT Carb Reply with quote

I bought a buggy with a 34 pict carb on it. I have had some hesitation at run up problems. I have also rebuilt the carburetor and still can not get the carb to adjust properly. When I adjust the smaller idle mixture screw there is no difference in the rpm level at all....no matter how far I screw it in or out.

I am thinking a previous owner over tightened the screw and damaged the seat of the needle valve.

Has anyone had this happen and is a new carb the only action?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT Carb Reply with quote

Your symptoms are typical of a carb that doesn't have it's throttle plate completely closed per the Bentley carb adjustment procedure, or
some other source of air leakage. The mixture screw could well be damaged, and/or have a damaged o-ring. Simple to take it out and look ...

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT Carb Reply with quote

throttle shaft bushings could be wore and leaking..
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT Carb Reply with quote

Which 34-3 carb is this? An aftermarket (which brand) and or a genuine Solex?

Sounds like it's matched to an 009 mechanical only distributor as well?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT Carb Reply with quote

Get a can of carb cleaner and start shooting the intake manifold at the heads, one at a time. Did it start running quicker? Did it bog down? Do each side, then spray the manifold boots. Any change? Hit the base of the carb, anything? And finally the throttle shaft bushings?

Repair any vacuum leaks you have or leaky parts. Then, if it still is the carb, get that repaired.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
JCS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT Carb Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I have not had time to work on it it I will try your suggestions.
Broncoblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT Carb Reply with quote

JCS wrote:
Thanks guys. I have not had time to work on it it I will try your suggestions.

What kind of distributor ? JC. I had some similar issues I thought were carb related but were my 009. And like you had a different carb on, same issues. Also I've noticed the little screw doesn't make a HUGE difference in RPM like the larger screw..
JCS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT Carb Reply with quote

I am not sure of the brand at the moment but it was a 009 centrifugal advance distributer. I had the same problem with another VW I built a few years ago. It was a 1776 with dual carbs on it and it would hesitate at take off. I tried everything but the builder of the engine said I just needed to run up the engine more at take off as if I were racing it. I switched it to a single 34 and a vacuum advance distributer on the advice of a Samba member. It tuned perfectly and ran great. It was not my intention to have to race the car and the 1776 with 34 carb had plenty of power. I then built another bug last year and did the same. It runs great and has plenty of power. Again, I am not racing these cars.

The latest is a dune buggy I bought from a fellow who restored it but did not know much about VW's. It had a hesitation........009 distributer and 34 carb. I changed the distributer to a vacuum advance and still had a problem with carb tuning. I had just rebuilt this carb. After a few trial and error tests, I put the old needle valve back in the carb. Seems the new one had a bad "O" ring on it and it would not allow the small screw to vary the rpm s. Runs fine now.

If you look at several threads regarding hesitation, the 009 is at the heart of most of them. Many think the 009 is everything gold but that has not been my experience. I hope you get it resolved.
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT Carb Reply with quote

"I am not sure of the brand at the moment but it was a 009 centrifugal advance distributer."

Only Bosch made what is called a 009 distributor (Bosch Part No 0 231 178 009).

A lot of posts use the term 009 distributor, but people should be more specific and often use the term to describe those cheap knock-off "009 Type" distributors which by all accounts area pile of "XYZ".

I'm sure the poor old 009 is getting much maligned these days because of those copies and their inherent issues.

If its not a genuine Bosch distributor its not a 009 in the traditional sense - people should just call them "a cheap chinese centrifugal advance distributor"
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 34 PICT Carb Reply with quote

You check the needle valve by removing the needle. examine it, it shojld have an orign near the threaded section. make surenthe oring is in good condition. like wise the large asjustment screw shojld have an oring too. these oring do disinigrate. they are often included in rebuild kits.

the neelde valve should be screwed in all the way, then backed out about 2.5 to 3 turns for an intial set point, then warm up the motor and fine tune as be the Bentley instructions.

once and a while the carbs do need dissassembly and rebuild. check for throotle shwft bore wear, and warping of covers and base flange,,lap as needed. also besure to measure the accelerator pump injection volume, and measure fuel level,in float bowl, these are critical. also jear up some water, just under boiling and fully submerge the float, if itmbubbles, it must be replaced, it leaks, use hot water, not cold

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: