Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New project: solar energy
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: New project: solar energy Reply with quote

My bus is getting ready for a new project, Solar power. We are going green. We will start the project with three 100 watts Monocrystalline panels, one Rover 40Amp 12V/24V DC Input MPPT Solar Charge Controller and one lithium- iron phosphate battery 12volt 100Ah. All this parts are coming from Renogy. If everything works out in this first face, we will add two more panels and two more batteries. The goal is to be able to run a small, high efficiency AC for six hours without having anything coming from the panels. New and exciting field for me.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: New project: solar energy Reply with quote

Looking forward to this project.
Can you share what your current setup looks like? You seem to be running a lot of lights...
What alternator are you running and how many batteries? What kind?
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: New project: solar energy Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
Can you share what your current setup looks like? You seem to be running a lot of lights...

I still have a 55 amps alternator. I do have two deep cycle optima batteries now. Most of my lights are LED. I also have a solar charger that keeps the optimas fully charge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: New project: solar energy Reply with quote

inhabor wrote:
Terminatez wrote:

I still have a 55 amps alternator. I do have two deep cycle optima batteries now. Most of my lights are LED. I also have a solar charger that keeps the optimas fully charge.

Nice! Is this 2 aux batteries + 1 starter battey, or a starter deep cycle and a aux deep cycle?
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: solar energy Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
inhabor wrote:
Terminatez wrote:

Nice! Is this 2 aux batteries + 1 starter battey, or a starter deep cycle and a aux deep cycle?

One starter and one aux.
Our79Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: New project: solar energy Reply with quote

from your other thread picturss it looks like you made some progress on the solar panels and setup...

please picture us up with your battery's, solar panels and controls as I too would like to run a small A/C 850 watts for a little while as well Smile

while on shore power, i have setup a portable ac unit on a milk crate betwwen my front seats..I ran a drain hose through an existing, hole in the floor by the shifter...and the hot aair exhaust out the vent wing wondow...worked great! per se....direct sun on the bus is hard to counteract Smile

show us your sweet setup?

See the most up to date status of Constance on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCvO1ZedS22IepvvRYaTxiPQ

My 1979 Westfalia Campmobile's sundry Tales of Constance
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620965

1990 Vanagon, Red, Driven 70,000 miles till sold.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: solar energy Reply with quote

5000 btu/ hr cooling for 6 hours will require 3000 watt hours of electricity.

Not happening with batteries unless you have 6 or more, discharging each one no more than 50%
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: New project: solar energy Reply with quote

Our79Westy wrote:
from your other thread picturss it looks like you made some progress on the solar panels and setup...

please picture us up with your battery's, solar panels and controls as I too would like to run a small A/C 850 watts for a little while as well Smile

while on shore power, i have setup a portable ac unit on a milk crate betwwen my front seats..I ran a drain hose through an existing, hole in the floor by the shifter...and the hot aair exhaust out the vent wing wondow...worked great! per se....direct sun on the bus is hard to counteract Smile

show us your sweet setup?

I can't run the ac with the solar. I run the fridge and lights.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: New project: solar energy Reply with quote

Second Law of Thermo, man, Entropy never goes down.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: New project: solar energy Reply with quote

Adding solar to your VW bus does not make it green. It is still an old polluter. Just sayin' Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: New project: solar energy Reply with quote

I’m going green by not going solar.

Since my electricity camping duty cycle is at most 1% , or 80 hours out of 8000, by not consuming the 1-5 years needed to recoup the energy needed to produce solar panel, I reduce my global carbon footprint.

Thanks for using your generators!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: