Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cam and head advice for new 1956cc
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veltror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

I am finally getting round to building my new motor for my 1975 Karmann Beetle. In the past i have built many stock TYpe 1 and Type 4 engines but this is my first foray into a perfromance type 1. I would appreciate some advice for Cam, rockers and heads for this motor.

This is what I am starting with I already have these parts

AS21 case checked and bored for 90.5
Case full flowed
CB 76mm crank with lightened and balanced Flywheel
90.5 Stroker pistons
CB 5.5" Super race rods
Dual Dellorto 40's (Italy)
1-2-3 Ignition

I am aiming for a CR of 8.5 or thereabouts unless otherwise advised.

I would like some options on cam, rockers lifters and heads.

My current thoughts for heads are

1672 Panchito 044™ (40 x 35.5) (61cc chambers)

Any suggestions welcome I am based int the UK.

V
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

Sounds sweet! I am building my first stroker as well. An 80mm x 92mm TW 2127cc. I am going with the Panchitos heads. Nearly everyone on here will recommend them. Great flow numbers and airspeed.
As for camshaft. I am no expert but I am using an Engle w-125 grind for mine along with 1.25 ratio rockers. I may end up using a cb 2242 or 2246. It all depends on what you want the motor to do and how you want to use the car. Will this be a daily driver or a weekend toy?
1997 Jeep Cherokee
2127cc build thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681556&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

86a webcam with CB 1.4 rockers. Done
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

Mind if I ask what you have in mind for this motor? Stump puller that will live forever? Well-behaved but with some pepper when you need it? Still driveable on the street but will be used mostly on the track? Anything less than 5000 RPM is for grandma?

As far as compression ratio, I would suggest keeping the dynamic ratio between 7.5 - 8.0:1, and setting the static ratio wherever it needs to be to achieve that, depending on what components you finally decide to go with.
veltror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

It will be used on the street for fun and the odd Euorpean jaunt so does not have to be a screamer. Thnaks for the suggestions so far.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
86a webcam with CB 1.4 rockers. Done

This
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

Similar engine, with a CSP super comp muffler (Its definitely the limit for that system) A variant of the Web 110, but you can almost copy it with adding 1,25 rockers to it.
Ohh, and 9,8-1 CR on Vpower. Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1205306.jpg

Sell the 123 unless its the USB, and get something decent for the engine so you can make POWER Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

Some cams wear out the valve train more than others. For example a with a cam designed for stock ratio rockers 1.1:1 if it has a lot of lift will ware out the valve train more than one that has as much lift at the valve but uses ratio rockers.
That being said though if you don't go over about .420" valve lift with out ratio rockers the cams that do that are fine. I like the Webcam series. 163, 118, and others. If you run larger valve heads like the CB "Panchitos" you can gain plenty of performance from 1.1:1 ratio rockers without so much lift.

For driveability always compare engine torque curves not horsepower curves.
For example a engine that produces 110 HprsePower may be more drivable than one that makes 150 HorsePower.

How hot the engine gets and whether or not it will need premium fuel is also a consideration. For example a cam like the CB-2241 Would be a good cam for torque because the (duration at .050" of valve lift) is below what for example a Webcam 163 has. The 163 can handle more engine compression ratio without overheating though and will produce more horsepower but in my engine the 163 doesn't have much torque below 2200 RPM. If you're like me you value being able to drive your vw gently too. A good compromise might be the Webcam 118 with its 245's Duration and lower lift it would play nicely with the larger 40X35mm valve sizes (Panchito's) and your small bore. Remember your bore is not big so you will loose bottom end if you have too big of valves. So if you want driveability and torque stick with stock valve size heads. One reason the Panchitos are so well received is they have (small port volume) near but above that of stock heads. (Small Port Volume = High Port Velocity = Torque)!
I built an engine with the webcam 118 and 1.25:1 ratio rockers which has it's stock valve size valves lifting up around .450" and it's very responsive. Much better than what you would see with a W-100 like cam. I have not tried the Webcam 86a But it has way more lift than you will need with "Panchito's" for your small bore engine.

What venturi size do you have in those 40mm Dells?
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

I agree, the 86a will be a little more than you need. I would say something like the Web 118 or FK 41 would be enough to put a smile on your face. Or for a little more scream, maybe the Web 163 or FK 42. Actually, the FK 7 is pretty close to the FK 41, but I can't remember if it's the 40 series that makes more power but is harsher on the valve train, or is it vice-versa?

I hesitate to post this link, because I've posted it before and I don't want people to think I'm a windy gasbag who likes to honk his own horn, but the example used in the text is exactly a 1956cc engine, so if you find it useful then you're welcome to it:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678699&highlight=

Good luck, man.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

Web 163 or 218 if not going ratio rockers
veltror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

Web cams instead of Engle it seems, what about any of the CB cams. Not sure where I can get a web cam in the uik... Not sure what venturis I have but any recommendations?
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

Message Alstrup, he's in Denmark but don't let that put you off. Or you can try Paul at VW speedshop and Richie at RJ Volksperformance... They carry a couple of the popular grinds but I wouldn't hold your breath.
veltror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

Thabnks for all the info, DAnvw not sure what venturis i have but I think I have a couple of other ones. I like the idea of torque so the Webcam 163 with the panchitos sounds like a good plan
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

FK65 is another option, but not many folks even know it exists. Which also means most stores won't stock it; we do, along with other popular grinds like the Web Cam 163 and 218. We ship to Europe every day too.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

Yeah, but in this case I would advocate the 163. Its a very good all round cam that also makes good upper end power.
The 218 is a nice cam too. I Use it much for medium displacement busses. However, over the years I finally figured out how to port the heads to make really good power with it on smaller engines too. Took me a while Shocked
I never cared much for the 86a. Most of my experience with it is in type 4 engines though, so there may be a little difference there. The 163 is better IMHO and does what I want it to.

T
jwillard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

veltror wrote:
I am finally getting round to building my new motor for my 1975 Karmann Beetle. In the past i have built many stock TYpe 1 and Type 4 engines but this is my first foray into a perfromance type 1. I would appreciate some advice for Cam, rockers and heads for this motor.

This is what I am starting with I already have these parts

AS21 case checked and bored for 90.5
Case full flowed
CB 76mm crank with lightened and balanced Flywheel
90.5 Stroker pistons
CB 5.5" Super race rods
Dual Dellorto 40's (Italy)
1-2-3 Ignition

I am aiming for a CR of 8.5 or thereabouts unless otherwise advised.

I would like some options on cam, rockers lifters and heads.

My current thoughts for heads are

1672 Panchito 044™ (40 x 35.5) (61cc chambers)

Any suggestions welcome I am based int the UK.

V

I built a 1968cc 74x92tw, Panchito heads, fk41 cam w/1.25rockers but will be switching to 1.1's soon, compression is at 8 to 1. I am running a single 2bbl carb which drive most people crazy but I don't care. I was not looking for a motor that turned 6-7k just wanted most of it's power in the 2-4k range at which I spend 95% of my time. I chose this combo for an everyday driver with torque. That is what I got. It has 3k+ on it now and just gets on down the road. Once I change the rockers and re jet the carb i'll be back in the 30+mpg hw range.
veltror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

Well I have made some progress, went with the Webcam 163 and CB1.25 rockers, thanks to John at Aircooled.net.

I have now put the engine togetherand it turns nice and easy no tight spots, I am now trying to decide if to set end-play now or when the heads etc are on as it might be easier tighten the gland nut then. If I tighten iut as much as I can withou the use of a huge braker bar without any shims I am seeing 0.039, the original shims were 30 but that is irrelevant as it now has a stroker. Is this within reason with no shims or should I start looking at something.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

R
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

Put 2 shims in and remeasure. That will tell you what the third should be
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

Need to match your compression to the cam, 8:1 will be fine with some cams and low octane pump gas but will require race fuel with others. Cams with less duration require less compression. I'm running 8:1 with a w110 right now and will be going to a w125 at 10:1 both with 91 octane pump gas BUT my car is a baja that does most of its driving in the desert and doesn't need to be very streetable.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam and head advice for new 1956cc Reply with quote

John, I run the FK-65, but with a turbo. Even so, it has great throttle response for around town driving without being on boost.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: