Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Here's my latest model build--a classic Revell "VW 3 in 1 Kit!" It's built box stock, just like the Empi Inch Pincher Too that the cover art shows. The only things added were a sporty EMPI GT steering wheel; a couple of EMPI decals (Header and Engine Shroud); a voltage regulator for the engine; and a larger exhaust pipe for the header. The suspension was also tweaked a bit to give it a more appropriate ride height.
Everything went together well, even the old decals went on very clean.

Thanks to Blue Baron for his generous support and advice while making the project. Him know what do.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

very nice details, great engine and i dig your red line tires.
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Smoothgateguy wrote:

Thanks to Blue Baron for his generous support and advice while making the project. Him know what do.

That should be our tag line "Him know what do".

Very nice build. The suspension mod gives this a nice stance. The red pinstripe on the tires is a nice touch. My only issue is that every time I see one of your builds, I get a new 'next project' that I want to do.
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Hello
I bought a batch of bodies and frames from VW181 monofé 1/43 scale model.
Any idea how to build a complete model with those parts?
Thank you Cool

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

there are other 1:43 vw die cast models you could take the other parts off of , wheels, tires, interior stuff, other items you could have 3D printed
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Hello Volkaholic
Thank you for your idea.
Alas I am not good in model building!
I would like to trade a build one for 3 from my bodies.
Somebody interested?
Regards Cool
Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

This is a model 1957 Samba model I recently finished. It's another 1/20 papercraft VW designed by Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen of the Möwe Verlag in Germany.

It's from the same family as the 1957 VW pickup truck I recently posted. Although they look very similar, the Samba version is far more complex--it's absolutely the hardest build I've ever done. I would say it's unnecessarily difficult in places. For example, each wheel is composed of 21 separate pieces of paper, not including the BMF foil work. It took me two full days just to build the first one! But there is a ton of detail to this model that all adds up to a decent looking early Bus toy. And I love that it's a large 1/20 scale Bus--almost as big as a Tippco.

I stuck to the paper theme of the model, and didn't add much that wasn't part of the original plans. I did add steel mirror arms (paperclips); a wee 36hp style muffler tailpipe; and I replaced the unrealistic looking headlights for my own paper versions. I also added 1957 Ontario licence plates and an Aristocast badge over the right tail light. The only other additions were a little model paint and Bare Metal Foil.

I think it turned out pretty good, although it's by no means perfect. The papercraft medium tends to have a somewhat crude look. It was a challenge to try to make it look better than a paper toy.

Here you can see some of the add-ons like the hatch handle, tail pipe, licence plate and Aristocast badge.

The chassis is very detailed. The model requires you to build every piece of the frame out of paper. In the pictures you can see things like the Deluxe Bus sub-floor (with jack points), steering box, pedal-cover panel, shocks, torsion plates and muffler--all made from paper.

Another pic of the chassis detail:

And here are the two papercaft Buses side by side:

Here's a few pics of the build in progress:

And again, many thanks to the designer of this model, and to Mr. Siegfried Wolter, president of the Möwe Verlag, for allowing free access to the plans.

Here is the link to the plans if anyone is interested. Note: the Samba version includes an English translation of the instructions (very helpful!), but there are no instructions for the Pickup.

1956/57 VW Samba: http://www.willeweb.de/vvwbba/misc/gen_frame.php?lang=en&slang=d&src=bus_bausatz

1956/57 VW Pickup Truck: http://www.willeweb.de/vvwbba/misc/pr_bausatz/page.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

that is just amazing, both the model itself and your skill, great work!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Wow, that is crazy. I'd always wondered if anyone built the Deluxe.
I looked at it before and thought it was super complex
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I think I will be sticking to gluing little plastic parts. That's way outside my comfort zone!

You totally commit to all you do.

Heinz Nordhoff
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Wow! just amazing ... so cool to know that's just paper and skill!
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I found these super-detailed Pyro mechanics in the mail today thanks to Don (jack1448).
As you can see, they quickly found a car to service!

Heinz Nordhoff
Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I thought those guys looked familiar! Don/Jack sure does excellent work. They inspired me when I did my Pyro mechanics--I totally stole their look!
Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

This is another papercraft project--the original Economotors VW-Porsche Dealership from the late 60's. It was located at Main and Fifth streets in Riverside, California. It was owned by EMPI grandfather Joe Vittone.

The plans are available online free, but come in 1/64 scale. It was easy to enlarge them 183% with Photoshop to make it 1/35 scale.

Here's the link: https://www.4shared.com/account/file/94557295/1d2c009f/Papercraft_VW_Economotors_Riverside_1_64.html

I've tried to make it as much like the actual dealership as I could, adding a paper street light, street signs, palm tree, roof stack and parking meter to the diorama. I put a poster in the front window, partly to hide the seam in the center of the building. I've also added window pennants, and a "VW" and "Genuine Parts" sign on the rear wall of the building.

I made it so I would have a place to park my 1/35 scale paper Buses. I only have the Who Bus right now, but there are so many others available online I'm sure I'll make a few more.

Here's the diorama and a photo of the actual dealership side by side:

A few more slightly different views:

This is the rear of the building. I used Photoshop to add some graffitti to the side wall.

Although I'm not the type to post cat pictures, I thought this one was funny.

Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

WoW Exclamation Exclamation Amazing work Smoothgateguy Exclamation Exclamation Popcorn

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Happy New Years to All!

As mentioned before, I took on the challenge of a re-build of the Premier Volkswagen model. Readers can look back on my as-received pics and read my comments concerning the many 'deficiencies' with this model. It seems as though the model was designed by someone who never saw a real Volkswagen, and only had a few stylized Reutter's pictures to work off of. At least the box artwork looks good!

So there are a couple main problems with the Premier. First, the roof line is off - roof is as flat as a pancake and the front window is too high relative the side windows. You can best see this on John's build at the top of page 19 in this thread (and no offense is meant to John, his build is impeccable). Secondly, the hood is too short, and the front skirt bulges out reminiscent of an old man's swollen bladder. There are additional issues with the overall proportions, some of which I'll mention later on.

I decided to do something different with this build, and thought it might help address, or rather 'hide' some of these defects. First the roof had to go, so I cut it out leaving an exaggerated sunroof a la Pyro beetle. Then I filled in the front window as shown here.

I ended up using some buildable primer above the front window and carefully sanded to simulate the curvature of a proper beetle roof.

I also had to make a hinge for the deck lid. It wasn't clear to me how the original worked. I'm not sure but it appears that deck lid just snapped into place rather than opening and closing. Either way, it was broken when I received it so it had to go. I used the same dimensions and design from the hinge that I included in my Pyro build on page 18.

Here is one of those proportionality issue - the premier transmission. The engine is not too bad but the transmission looks like it should be mated up with an American V8!

I didn't feel the Premier engine or transmission was appropriate for what I wanted to build. I wanted something less stock and decided to use one of Volkaholic's resin cast engines. It came like this:

All those little pieces came together to create this:

The 2 pics on the right show the engine mounted to the chassis with a scratch-built muffler that I added. Because the Premier has such a tall rear apron, I had to elevate the engine in order to view it through the deck lid. This caused a problem getting the tail pipe to exit below the apron. Since I liked the look of the resonator on John's Inch Pincher Too model, I decided to add one here. This did the trick as shown here (note the oval deck lid, as pictured on the box art, with an extra trim line added for who-knows-why).

With the deck lid up, the engine becomes visible. The bumpers, which came as US style with over-riders, were way out of proportion to the body so I cut them down.

The goal was to create a sleeper beetle with patina, rust, and age; I used salt between paint coats to create chips and rust effects. This was my first time using this technique and I'm hoping it hides, or at least distracts from the Premier's design defects. Here are some shots of the final result - enjoy!

Last edited by jack1448 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

wow - great job, yes the body lines are certainly off, but i think it kinda gives it a custom "coachwerks" look, so i say it works, glad to see 1 of my resin cast engines turned out so nice, keep up the great work
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Very cool and the Patina came out really well
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

These model kits were really art kits, meant to be modified and interpreted by the builder.

I think Don did a great job bringing back this scarce vintage model kit, and adding his own twists.

Heinz Nordhoff
Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Really great job rebuilding the Premier! All your custom mods have truly made this model special.

I have no eye for proportions, so I admire someone who can spot and correct these problems. Although the Premier body is so stretched--like in a Reutter's brochure--that even I could see it was pretty goofy.

For people who have never built a Premier Bug, NOTHING lines up properly. The bumper mounting holes are spuriously located, making proper bumper placement nearly impossible. Small things like the horns grills are not only too small and out of place, they are not even in the same place on the fenders. The tail lights are the same type of nightmare. And the list goes on. I remember the challenge of trying to make a decent model out of such a crude (but adorable!!) kit.

I also admire the choice to make the Bug look weathered. I've never been brave enough to try weathering out a model kit.

My favorite touch is the torn corners on the sunroof.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 60

Jump to: