Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big Engine/Small Engine Question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Big Engine/Small Engine Question Reply with quote

Just curious; I have a suspicion that larger engines (all things being equal as possible, e.g. same piston size, same engine temps) are more resistant to detonation than smaller engines. It's is a fact that larger, more powerful engines require a smaller percentage of their power to move a given vehicle. So could that translate to a larger engine can get away with more?

So for example: a 1915 and 2332 that both make peak HP at 6,000 RPM and peak torque at 4,500. The 1915 makes 130 HP and the 2332 makes 170 HP.

Can the 2332 get away with a higher DCR because it will be less stressed under load?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Engine/Small Engine Question Reply with quote

Lot of it depends on how the car is being driven. Lots of full throttle and the smaller pistons resist detonation better. In lots of small throttle it's a toss-up.

My 83mm piston 2016 Miata has 13.0 CR and the chevy LT1 with 103mm pistons has 11.5 CR.

Dan
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Engine/Small Engine Question Reply with quote

From what I understand, detonation is more likely in a larger bore; small bore means charge gets burned in less time.

So your example, where both have same bore, is not interesting as an illustration.

Also, seeing as both engines make peak hp/torque at the same rpms, they must be running the same cam, and have the same DCR to C/R ratio?

So, if they both make the same BMEP, there's no difference in knock limit...except if there are differences in temps, turbulence, etc, but there isn't, because "all things equal"...not sure your HP numbers correspond to that or not.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Engine/Small Engine Question Reply with quote

it realy depends on the entire engine package. all things being equal...there the same motor...so...neither is bigger. a small motor can detonate all to hell and a large one may not. and visa versa depending on the build. wide deck/little quench can be prone to detonation.tight deck with lotsa quench can tolerate more cr. before detonation. I dont do the dcr thing. IMHO unless you have a cc requirement....build big with tight deck.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Engine/Small Engine Question Reply with quote

I KIND OF... see what you mean, far as a general trend, the smaller CC builds tend to be over-geared and under cammed and the exhaust system isn't tuned right.....but that's not how it should be.

Should be able to have even higher CR on the smaller ones, slightly.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Big Engine/Small Engine Question Reply with quote

Oh, wow! The answers are the opposite of what I expected! I was going to use an example with a smaller bore, but 94 strokers are so common. Thanks for the replies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: