Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Owners Roll Call!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Just purchased a 1974 Thing. White. Seems solid. Need to find a good mechanic in the Delray Beach, FL area who can remedy the racing idle (I don't even need to press the accelerator to run in 3rd gear), shifter won't go into 2nd gear, dash instruments (haha: speedometer, fuel gauge, turn signal indicator) not functioning, oil leak, etc. Bought it on a whim and can't work on it myself at my condo (association rules). Got bit by the VW bug (sorry) and bought a 1978 Beetle too. If anyone has a shop they can recommend, I'd appreciate the tip. Thanks.
Jack Ketch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

New Thing owner bought from a forum member. Had 2 Vanagons but complete FNG for type 181s and air cooled.
Look forward to asking asking basic questions and being told to use the search function.
partsman914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

My first car was a '68 Bug, and I have been around the german cars forever. I am currently a parts manager at a Boston area VW dealership. I had a Porsche 914 for the last 18 years, but it was a driver, and even though I had it on a rotisserie and cut out the floors and longitudinals, I left an old paint job on it so I could just drive it....the hassle I took from other owners and just general people wondering when I was going to take care of it, rally started to take all the fun out of it. My cars goes driven, not trailered. So I sold it....

And took a long hard look for something else....something fun, something we all could go out in, and have a laugh or two. A car that didn't take itself so seriously (or, that the public took so seriously either).....I found this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'73, one owner. The story I got was that the owner decided to paint, got it home, and then passed away soon ater. The family let it sit for 5 years, then contacted a friend to clean it up and get it running. He did a tune up, adjusted the valves and did front shoes I'm told. He also washed it and took these pictures:

So...I bought it Friday. I contacted a transport company, and they picked it up yesterday and delivery is scheduled for Tuesday morning...

I'll let you guys know how it all goes...I can't wait. It's going to be a whole different experience from the last 18 years, I'm sure

Eric
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Eric, I also just bought a Thing. Dancing
Mine is a 74 and is also orange.
Photos when I get it home later this week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Got her home today.

\
She's already up on the hoist. I wasn't planning on any major upgrades this Spring/Summer, but the tranny needs a rebuild, so I'll pull the engine/tranny next week and send the tranny off for a rebuild.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zohami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Aloha,
New Thing owners here. Wife said she always wanted one, so I found this one on C-list in San Diego and the seller was willing to deliver it to the port for shipping to Honolulu.
Just got 'er home, so here she is, next to Gran's '57 T-bird in the carport.
So fun! Yes, there's a list of things to do, but she's a runner in mostly unmolested condition.

Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

I've been reading this site for a few years now. My wife's first car was a 73 out of a barn on an island in Lake Erie and I always wanted one. I took the plunge two years ago and bought a '74 from a classified I found on here. Originally yellow, painted orange at some point along the way.

Happily living in my garage now in northern Ohio!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
efnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

New owner here after my wife realized the Thing was her dream car. Aggie happened to be passing through with one and it just fell in our laps.

Now to learn all things about maintaining lovely old cars, let alone a VW...

Ray the Vulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

New to the Thing world. Sold my 65 safari bug to purchase the 73 that was in the classifieds here for a while. Got lots of cool stuff to do with it. Already did the taillight swap with a type2. The car came with a hefty load of spare parts that I'll be selling here soon.
Excited to transform this Thing for next summer!
Thanks!

Ray the Vulture from Folsom CA
Stationary Engineer by day and pinstriper/signpainter by night
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarlSpackler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

New project. Off the road for about eight years. First up: all new brake system, all new fuel system. Will get a 2.0 liter type IV with an upright conversion, and become a daily driver for summer, 2018.

[/img]
rafael1068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Hello,
I just purchased my thing last week I have being looking for one for a while.
F.P.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Mine.
Owned her since 1986, my daily driver for many years. Been sitting in the garage since 2011+-, working through some carburetor issues now but she runs and drives and turns and stops.
Stoked for 2018! Long Live THE THING!
Gonzo181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Brand new owner here. 1978 VW Safari. Terrific condition considering we purchased it in Mexico. We have a home in Playa del Carmen and I have always wanted a Thing, so I saw this on Facebook and pulled the trigger. Need to add seat belts, a manual wiper (maybe) and eventually, new wheels.

Looking forward to learning more about this great little car over the coming months!

LazerDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Just took delivery of my new 1973 Thing this afternoon from a dealer up the road from Boulder, Colorado selling it for the son of the original owner.

She's in pretty good shape. Stripped and repainted to original yellow a few years ago. Steering needs a little tune up and I need to see about re-mounting the driver's seat back an inch or two so I don't have to contort quite so much to get in and out (I'm 6'3").

I've loved Things from afar for years, and now I'm part of the cool kids' club myself!

Looking forward to many years on this forum and meeting up with other "Thingys." Is that the word? If not, could it be? Laughing
michemo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

i have 2 things here in baton rouge have been at moms house 4 15 years in need of a lot of repairs but i have 2 of them if someone is instread mike 225 335 3555
B D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

My new to me 1974 Thing painted dove blue (bus color) riding on Randar wheels. Picked it up April and now we are putting in a new 1915cc with Scat C35 cam and a 1 5/8 Vintage Speed Exhaust.

Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

So, not my first rodeo in the Thing arena, but it's been quite a while. I had (2) 1973 Things back in 1999. One was mechanically sound, with a crap body, and one had a perfect body and chassis, with crap mechanicals. Obviously, I was going to make one great Thing when the ever dreaded divorce happened. Sold both of them to the same guy that had a beautiful Thing about a month later.

I've been wanting another for years, but seem to keep finding Manx buggies to buy, and let it slide.

A couple of weeks ago, a good friend of mine told me about a friend of his in Arkansas that was selling her Thing. Car was solid, looked good, and was a great price, so I made the deal.

Drove 900 miles each way to pick it up, and couldn't be happier. Great road trip!

This one had the original dealer installed A/C system almost complete. It's missing the compressor and bracket, and one of the vents is missing from the under the dash area, but I'm not sure I'll be messing with that stuff soon.

Besides needing the brakes adjusted, a tune-up, and a rear main seal replacement, she's ready to hit the streets. All that will be done shortly.

-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
michemo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

bljones wrote:
Well, someone was dumb enough to make me the moderator of this forum, so i figure i'd better introduce my omnipresent self.

I'm bl, and i own a 73 ex military german 181. In the very near future, i will post a " Pic thread", and i want to see everyone's cars show up.. hell, I will even post mine just so that timgud doesn't think ti is just a figment of my imagination. I know some of you, like emerson, have tossed up pics here in the past, but i want to breathe some life into this place- it has been too quiet.

Those of you (and you know who you are) who frequent other forums, pass the word-coax, cajole, hijack, or engage in acts of piracy to bring fellow 181 owners here.
any one who lets there kids drive or ride in one of these cars should be locked up there is a reason why they quit making these cars they did not meat any crash standards front rear or side and they did not meet the rool over standard they r very ussafe cars if u get in a accident with one i hope u have time to get byr pants down because u will be kissing yr ass good by
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Quote:
any one who lets there kids drive or ride in one of these cars should be locked up there is a reason why they quit making these cars they did not meat any crash standards front rear or side and they did not meet the rool over standard they r very ussafe cars if u get in a accident with one i hope u have time to get byr pants down because u will be kissing yr ass good by

Seriously? First off, if anyone ever thought that any aircooled VW was safe by today's standards, they're off their rocker. Secondly, if I needed advice from somebody that's apparently less educated than my 2nd grade nephew, I'm doomed.

Why are you even bothering to post in this forum if all you are trying to do is cause hate and discontent? Go troll another forum, or better yet, take a night class (or a day class, as I doubt you even have a job) to learn some BASIC grammar.
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Just got a 1973 Thing from the Lakeland CA area delivered to me here in NJ. Knew the top and side curtains were beat but it needs some mechanical gremlins ironed out too. Super dry! Code name : "OThing"

1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 30

Jump to: