Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another source for a truck canvas
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Another source for a truck canvas Reply with quote

For all you bay truck owners, I thought you might appreciate a short summary of a new canvas now available from NLAVW.com. I was a bit nervous ordering this since the description on the web site is a bit thin, but after several emails back and forth with Dan at NLAVW I felt comfortable pulling the trigger. NLAVW is located in England. They designed these to be identical to the originals. Based on a ratty old OG canvas I have, I’d say they have done so nicely. I’ve seen lots of photos of aftermarket canvas and many of them seem like they didn’t fit quite right. As you can see from the photos, this one fits like a glove (on OG hoops). Since it is built to original specs, you don’t (at this point) have a choice of upgraded fabrics, larger windows or other upgrades. However, if you are going for a stock look, this is a good choice. I bought this shipped to Michigan for $795, which was about 2/3 the cost of the other option I looked at. That included the Paypal currency conversion fee. They even shipped it in a custom carrying bag… a nice surprise that was not mentioned when I ordered it. Holler if you have any specific questions.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Another source for a truck canvas Reply with quote

That is sweet!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Another source for a truck canvas Reply with quote

really nice job. looks awesome.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Another source for a truck canvas Reply with quote

Holy cow that looks amazing! Well done!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Another source for a truck canvas Reply with quote

X3...looks great! glad there is someone out there who takes pride in their work.

from one truck owner to another...

although they are cool as hell, the flap like a said at speed. worse if there is any wind. my truck is more of a survivor so it doesn't bother me much, but you may have a stroke when you pull it off and see your paint all kinds of messes up.

did they sew in the straps so you can roll the sides/back and secure it to the top?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Another source for a truck canvas Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Skills…. I have a tattered OG canvas that I compared this reproduction to and I don’t see any obvious differences. It has the tie-down straps so you can roll up all 3 sides. It also has the extra flap in front so water won’t run into the bed when it rains.

I know what you mean about driving with it on. Even with original paint, I can see how freeway speeds would eventually rub paint off where the canvas touches. On a repainted vehicle like mine, that process would go much quicker. The way it fits, driving around town should be fine. Unfortunately, it will only come out for the occasional show or special event. I keep my truck in the garage and the hoops are too tall to clear the garage door. I have an original roof rack…. same story. I am lobbying the boss for a pole barn but so far no luck.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Another source for a truck canvas Reply with quote

I have the hoops, but I tore it down because the wood was kind of haggard. my canvas is folded and stored in a big ol plastic tub. it's original, but has had some repairs over the years

what did you use for the bows? I think OE was ash? mine were sacked out pretty bad. I guess the trick is to chamfer the bows on both sides so you can do a flip every so often to keep the sags away.

moving the thing is a pain in the ass...it's like moving a box of wet spaghetti. probably not as bad on a d/c seeing it's shorter. keep fighting for that barn!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Another source for a truck canvas Reply with quote

The stitching looks better in many ways than the busware one. They look like they doubled back a lot more and it’s not all haphazard like theirs is. I feel like the busware seamstress was drinking hiballs of vodka while they were putting mine together. And it’s atleast twice as cheap as theirs, which is always nice.

However, I have no problem with fit. And I’ve driven about 10,000 miles always using the hoops/canvas with no issues of paint rubbing. The main thing is that you’re going to be scraping paint off the metal tabs taking it on and off, but nothing significant.

The canvas straps are going to get old/not fun super quick (as opposed to the leather)
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Another source for a truck canvas Reply with quote

My bows (and bed ribs) are ash, soaked in linseed oil. I store the bows over the winter in a stack with a little weight in the middle so they are straight in the spring.

Malokin, you may be right on the straps, although if I use it sparingly and only in good weather they should continue to work as intended. If I had a choice, I might have upgraded to leather straps and a larger rear window. Then again, I've really tried to stay original with very few exceptions (most notably a doghouse shroud), so having a well made, well fitting canvas that looks original and saved me a lot of $ is a win in my book. I give Busware a lot of credit for stepping up and making a great product, it's just nice to have a choice.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Another source for a truck canvas Reply with quote

Adam at NLA VW Parts takes great pride in his work and he reproduces top quality pieces!
pinballwiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Another source for a truck canvas Reply with quote

That looks great!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: