Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

Got a Pm from a gentleman I met at the Avery's Aircooled show in May 2017. He suggested a friendly cruise this Saturday morning. With nothing to do except mow the grass or reassemble an SP engine that is scattered all over the garage. I accepted the invitation Very Happy
This is our first cruise and hopefully there will be others as this was just plain fun cruising down Hwy 30 in Or. Of course there were the usual folks waving and truckers honking their horns and thumbs up from other drivers in appreciation of our 6 car group headed down the Hwy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hey! Hands on the wheel dude Cool

I had a great time and look forward to the next opportunity to do this again.

Thanks guys!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
type1abody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

Was a good time! (myself in red 65, my son in white 67). Another cruise coming up and anyone who wants to meet up is welcome to do so.
type1abody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

Cruise ...part 2. This next weekend 8/12 we are meeting at 10am in rainier, oregon. The deli store/card lock parking lot close to the bridge. Will be a good mix of cars..anyone can show. We plan on cruising up to astoria for lunch. Come on down!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

I'm in. Gotta do a brake job on my 67 today. But I'll be there.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
type1abody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

Well...what was hopefully to be as many as a dozen ending up being.......3 Smile myself. .Don..Perry. life happens and people had things come up. We went to Astoria anyway. Nice day today, astoria was packed. Had a good lunch, got to meet Don and his check out his nice 66, also got a chance to watch Perry smoke past me in my 40 horse up hills as though I was rolling backwards Laughing
Thanks for coming out guys.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

it was a pleasure "BLOWING" the doors off you 65. Shocked

You should post the pic on Clatskinie hill. You know. The one where I blew by you at 80+ Very Happy

Had a great time and thanks to you and Don for being good sports and continuing despite it being just the three of us.

Oh and Thank you for lunch Don. It was great.

We'll definitely do this again. Hopefully many times. Cool

Cashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

Pleasure was all mine! Nice to hang with fellow enthusiasts. It was a nice drive, a great lunch, and next time I won't let Avenger pass me on the hills, the throttle was only halfway Very Happy
1972 Type 3 - FI/Automatic “Kürbis” - sold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

Cashed wrote:
Pleasure was all mine! Nice to hang with fellow enthusiasts. It was a nice drive, a great lunch, and next time I won't let Avenger pass me on the hills, the throttle was only halfway Very Happy

Cough, cough. Um Bullshit! Laughing

smokey503
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

Really wanting to make it out there and join you guys.
With 6 kids life is getting in the way to let me finish the odds and ends to get my 64 on the road.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

smokey503 wrote:
Really wanting to make it out there and join you guys.
With 6 kids life is getting in the way to let me finish the odds and ends to get my 64 on the road.

We'll keep ya in mind smokey. We have another tentatively planned before the rain sets in.

I'll send ya a pm once we get things rolling. If you can make it. Great. If not, we'll keep making plans and asking.

Thread
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

Hoping to be there for the next one. Planning on having mine back on the road come springtime.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

We did another cruise today. Yea not a Saturday. But had to change as my work schedule has changed. I'm only getting Sunday's off for a while.

We started in Northplains and headed west on hwy 26. Drove toward Camp18 until someone who shall remain nameless at the moment needed to pull over for gas. I'm sure he paid an exorbitant price for that mountain pass gas Laughing Right Don?

Made it to Camp18 and checked out all the old logging equipment on display. There was some truly unique stuff to look and wonder how it all worked.

One very interesting truck had us marveling at the hillbilly engineering that went into making it work. This truck had the original engine gutted with the exception of the crankshaft. Then the Hillbilly engineering came into play. Added to the front end of the truck frame was a Cadillac flathead engine that was coupled to the original gutted engines crankshaft. The whole Caddi setup was nestled into it's own frame extension well past the front tires of the truck. Just bizarre.

Camp18 parking lots Glamor pics

The cruise continued on with a very spirited drive through Jewell and onto Vernonia for a late lunch stop. We passed any car that was not at our cruise speed of 55-65 mph on a twisting back country roadway.

I can't remember the name of the restaurant that we had lunch at. But I can say the waitress was perfect and sassy as hell. Just the way we like them. The burgers were excellent as well. I'll go back there again the next time I pass through Vernonia.

All in all, we had a good time as usual and I for one look forward to the next cruise. Hopefully we can get another one in before the weather calls the game on us.

If any of you PNW guy's care to join in on a cruise with us. Your more than welcome to come along. We could stand a few more than three committed cruisers to enjoy these outings.

The next time we plan one of these cruise. I'll post the proposed day and meetup time and location.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

To anyone in SW Washington state and the NW Oregon state.
We are planning on a cruise Sunday 10/29.
We have not yet settled on a drive location. But encourage anyone to attend if your interested.

Suggested routes so far are, The Johnson Ridge Observatory and Hwy 503 along the backside of Mt. St. Helens.
That is unless the hwy. route changes. I'll keep you all posted.

For this cruise the meetup would take place at,
McDonalds, 300 S Kelso Dr, Kelso, WA 98626.
The meetup is at 10:00 am sharp! If your the fashionably late type. We may not be there when you arrive. We typically hang out 15 minutes, then hit the road.

Please feel free to PM me if you are interested in joining the cruise and fun. I'll provide contact information and hope that you do the same.

Let's make this a larger group than the three that have been meeting on a semi-monthly schedule for cruises.

BTW. The weather is supposed to be spectacular this weekend. So come on along and get some great pics and meet some great guy's that are into the VW culture.

We look forward to meeting new PNW friends.

Cashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

We started in Northplains and headed west on hwy 26. Drove toward Camp18 until someone who shall remain nameless at the moment needed to pull over for gas. I'm sure he paid an exorbitant price for that mountain pass gas Laughing Right Don?

You would have thought that since I was an hour early, I would have thought to get gas... Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
To anyone in SW Washington state and the NW Oregon state.
We are planning on a cruise Sunday 10/29.
We have not yet settled on a drive location. But encourage anyone to attend if your interested.

Suggested routes so far are, The Johnson Ridge Observatory and Hwy 503 along the backside of Mt. St. Helens.
That is unless the hwy. route changes. I'll keep you all posted.

For this cruise the meetup would take place at,
McDonalds, 300 S Kelso Dr, Kelso, WA 98626.
The meetup is at 10:00 am sharp! If your the fashionably late type. We may not be there when you arrive. We typically hang out 15 minutes, then hit the road.

Please feel free to PM me if you are interested in joining the cruise and fun. I'll provide contact information and hope that you do the same.

Let's make this a larger group than the three that have been meeting on a semi-monthly schedule for cruises.

BTW. The weather is supposed to be spectacular this weekend. So come on along and get some great pics and meet some great guy's that are into the VW culture.

We look forward to meeting new PNW friends.

I’ll be there Very Happy Laughing Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

Update!
We have to cancel the cruise set for tomorrow. Life gets in the way for some of us and others (me) have maintenance issue that must be attended to.
Like my brakes are not functioning properly ATM and needs to get fixed properly.

Hopefully there will be yet another sunny weekend left in 2017 that we can take advantage of.

Keep checking back for future updates.

Drive it! Just don't stare at it wishing you could be out on the road!

Cashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Saturday morning cruise with new PNW friends Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Update!
We have to cancel the cruise set for tomorrow. Life gets in the way for some of us and others (me) have maintenance issue that must be attended to.
Like my brakes are not functioning properly ATM and needs to get fixed properly.

Hopefully there will be yet another sunny weekend left in 2017 that we can take advantage of.

Keep checking back for future updates.

Drive it! Just don't stare at it wishing you could be out on the road!

What about the last wiper wipe-out to Stevenson, got any hoods up photos to post Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: