Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reserve valve operation.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reserve valve operation. Reply with quote

So I reversed the input lines so the cable would operate the valve in the right direction. After mounting the valve,
it looks like the cable is too short to move the arm from run to reserve....should I put a cable extender on the cable?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve operation. Reply with quote

Weird, are you sure it hasn't been cut in the past?
Or can you pull the sheathed cable backward a little to reach?
If I remember right the one in my Double Cab came up a little short and I was able to mess with the cable to get some more slack.
It was really close to start with though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve operation. Reply with quote

I actually did loosen the cable stay a bit and got a little more cable, but it won’t allow full on. The cable doesn’t appear or feel like it was cut. I see there are replacement cable, but you have to buy the complete sheathed setup. Like to keep the knob and original casing, as it feels pretty free to travel too. I have a carb cable extension I might try.
Thanks Everett for responding.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve operation. Reply with quote

Buy a new assembly, remove the cable from it and reinstall in the old sheath?

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve operation. Reply with quote

Looks like the fuel valve isn't intalled in the correct orientation on the tank (cock-eyed).
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve operation. Reply with quote

Looking at the cable from WW it doesn't appear to have the same knob on it....ill look again tho.

In that pic, it's really not squared up to the cable. I did try clocking it to be more square with the cable later.
Thanks.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve operation. Reply with quote

Operating lever should not be right up to the body, so cable might just work if you correct the valve angle.

You should cut off or pull the shorty pipe out of the valve. That pipe catches water inside the gas tank where it rusts it out. You can install a water separator, or just pull the carb side drain plug if water gets to there.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve operation. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Operating lever should not be right up to the body, so cable might just work if you correct the valve angle.

You should cut off or pull the shorty pipe out of the valve. That pipe catches water inside the gas tank where it rusts it out. You can install a water separator, or just pull the carb side drain plug if water gets to there.

Thanks for that...I did turn the valve counter clockwise and it's still a bit short...it's a bit from hitting the body. Not really sure how far it needs to go to have it be in the "on" position.

Good call on the short pipe, although where I'm at, we don't have much of a condensation issue.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve operation. Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:

Good call on the short pipe, although where I'm at, we don't have much of a condensation issue.

Do keep in mind that underground gas station tanks do have a problem with condensation. Plus if you ever get fog or dew on the ground, that is condensation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: