Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help needed, please
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: help needed, please Reply with quote

since I had a stroke in August, my thing has been sittibg in the garage until Friday when we needed it out to catch a big rat snake living in there. My wife (who has never driven it before,) pulled it out and turned it around to go back in before the weekend rain. 'It would not go into any gear, and puttiing it in first then starting it, made it pop out of gear.
The critter guy who was here to get the snake said he was a longtime vdub owner and this was a conmon failure of the gland nut. he said I will have to pull the engine and replace the nut. of course I can do nothing until maybe spring time, but does this sound likely? i thought it might be lack of clutch fluid ibn the cylinder, but truly have no clue, it was running and driving great before this event, now sitting in the yard under a tarp. the guy says sitting unused for a few months can cause this to fail. he did get the 5 foot snake out though,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: help needed, please Reply with quote

Does it go into any gears? Clutch still feels right?

Clutch fluid? Do you mean trans fluid? It shouldn't stop the car from going in gear.

My guess, the shift rod coupler is disconnected, or the shifter is loose.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: help needed, please Reply with quote

A friend came over, got it in reverse then first and drove it into my garage.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: help needed, please Reply with quote

ALANSD wrote:
A friend came over, got it in reverse then first and drove it into my garage.

Shift coupler, or gear shift plate alignment.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: help needed, please Reply with quote

a fiend is coming to check the coupler for me
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: help needed, please Reply with quote

A bad pilot bearing (gland nut bearing) will make it hard to get into gear at a stop. It can also cause the vehicle to suddenly surge when in gear.

A failing clutch cable will also cause it to be hard to get into gear and you should be able to detect the excess free play and the lighter force needed to push the pedal down.

If the problem is in the shift rod/coupling the shifter should have abnormal play in it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: help needed, please Reply with quote

Sometimes after sitting the clutch disk will stick to the pressure plate.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: help needed, please Reply with quote

Being a stroke survivor myself, best of luck! My thought leans to pressure plate rusted to flywheel, broken Bowden tube, arms bent on clutch fork,
All require engine removal, rusted plate could have caused other problems. Best bet is have one person step on clutch pedal and someone else looking in wheel well to see if arm is moving. Could be as simple as a stretched cable. I know having a stroke takes you out of the wrenching game, but through hard work, you should be able to work back into it. Good luck
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: help needed, please Reply with quote

I will throw in that the lever arm on the clutch release shaft can crack and keep the clutch from releasing, while the welds for the arms on the fork can crack and cause the same problem. As FV195 mentioned you may well have to pull the engine to figure out exactly what is wrong.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: