Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 vw beetle woody wagon
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikhail_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

My new woody wagon. I posted in the wrong section earlier. Getting used to this forum stuff.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Now that's really cool. How about some inside shots? Hope you don't live in termite country.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Interesting how it was bolted to the existing body. Would like to see more photos on that.
Does it seem heavier then normal when driving?

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Interesting how it was bolted to the existing body. Would like to see more photos on that.
Does it seem heavier then normal when driving?

X2
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Here's plans for $40 to build one. I like it with the '40 Ford replica hood for the authentic look.

http://www.stevproj.com/VWWdyPg1.html

http://www.stevproj.com/VWWdyBldrPics.html
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Yeah - what you have is a "Stevenson". Have seen these done really well, really crappy and everywhere in between. I would suggest researching it some to get a better handle on what you have. And having a set of the plans is a really good idea since yours looks like it was pretty much built from them.

I am not blowing my own horn, but I have become a bit of an expert on VW Woodie conversions. I own the first one ever built and one of, if not the last one. Neither of my cars are based on the Stevenson plans, but I did own one at one time...scrapped the body, but used the pan for my 69 VW Woodie.

If you have any questions, you are welcome to email or private message me.

And what's the deal with your rear camber?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

And a general answer about weight. They are a little heavier than a stock bug, but not very much. Guessing maybe 100 lbs or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Mikhail, could you possibly post pics more pics of this amazing car? I ordered the plans for this particular build and would love to see how things actually went together.

Thanks
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

If you do an image search on here for woodie or woody, there are a LOT of pics. there are quite a few build pics as well. I know there are a shitload of mine on it, but you want to ignore the white or real light blue 73 Super woodie since his construction technique is very different that the Stevenson. There was a guy named Pedro I think that showed a lot of Stevenson construction.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Thank you. I have searched and found quite a few images here on The Samba. But most of the photos are of the entire vehicle. I am looking for close ups of how some areas are handled.

Such as the area around the door windows. Or how the front of the soft roof meets the windshield header.

This is why I asked for photos if possible.
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
If you do an image search on here for woodie or woody, there are a LOT of pics. there are quite a few build pics as well. I know there are a shitload of mine on it.

I did some looking. You did a really great job and you have a very nice shop.Be proud. Really nice job!
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Thanks Dan. Yeah, the car came out OK and I am having fun at the shop. Just need to get time to work on my own cars LOL.

Carl, what I would suggest is getting the Stevenson VW Woodies plans. http://www.stevproj.com/VWWdyPg1.html They cost $40 and will address your questions. I think this was posted before.

Shoot me your email address and I can send you some pics of a piece of shit VW woodie that I bought and scrapped except for the pan. The doors are typically just covered with a plywood skin and then filled with bondo around the windows. The windshield header is a place that most folks totally mess up because its a real pain in the ass to get right. Many of them are really boxy and can look like a school bus. I don't even want to guess how much time I have in that on my car.

There were 2 yahoo groups on these cars and I don'y know how active they still are. This is one of them https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/VWoodies2/info The pics on the first page are actually of my car.

The one thing that really makes a difference if you are doing it is to use a convertible instead of a sedan. Viewed from the front, a sedans A pillars angle in quite a bit more than a vert. Changes everything. I still don't like how mine came out in this area, but it's better than most.

What it really gets down to on these things is how far you want to go. I acquired the very first VW woodie ever built last summer and the construction is totally different from mine. And both of these cars are not constructed at all like a Stevenson. There are no rules for this.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Shame there isn't a fiberglass kit for the station wagon "Woody" portion. It is relatively easy to replicate wood grain with paint or even vinyl decals. It would be much more durable that real wood. And not take a wood workers skill. Then just slap on a '40 Ford fiberglass front end.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Not enough of a market. There are/were "sedan delivery" fiberglass kits such as the Vandetta and the one from BGW. I was contemplating using one of those as the base for mine early on when I was floundering with the design and construction.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion to order the plans. I did and they have arrived.

I have poured over them and of course, they answered quite a few questions.

But photos sometimes show more than just the directions can.

My main interest in the photos is to make the windshield header smooth as some of them are awful.

andk5591-I sent a PM with my email address for the photos you offer to send.

Thanks everyone for your support!
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

I would love to take this type of project on. I'm patient enough to make up for some shortcomings in my talent department. Unfortunately, time is not on my side with 4 lil ones.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

CarlIseminger wrote:

My main interest in the photos is to make the windshield header smooth as some of them are awful.

andk5591-I sent a PM with my email address for the photos you offer to send.

Thanks everyone for your support!

I always thought the convertible windshield header would look best for a woody conversion.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Here are a few pictures I took at the Woodies on the Wharf car show in Santa Cruz, CA.

This one was really nice.

A little funky looking, but variations on the theme.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

Sent you the commentary on the Stevenson plans...The yellow one did the changes using dimensional lumber instead of plywood for the rails....Looks much better.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 vw beetle woody wagon Reply with quote

I can see using the lumber to make the rails would lead to a much nicer finish to the car, but with my limited woodworking skills, the Stevenson Project build with plywood will suit me just fine.

Thanks everyone for pitching in with suggestions and photos. I always like to research a project to death before I start so I know what I am getting myself into.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: