Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Amount of filler used at factory for Thing?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfulcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Amount of filler used at factory for Thing? Reply with quote

[img]Hey everyone - it's been a long time since I've been on the Samba, after selling my '73 Thing and '72 914 after my second child was born (and living in the city at the time).

I've had two Things, and am very intimately familiar with all aspects of them. I'm considering purchasing another '73, and found one that is overall very solid, but has cracked filler & paint on the right side of the front apron, where it curves back towards the filler neck. See photo below. This car has been repainted in whole or part.

My question: How much filler was generally used from the factory? I haven't personally encountered any original filler in my Thing ownership, but that doesn't mean it wasn't used. I'm perplexed, because inspecting the inside of the trunk area, there is no deflection or damage visible. It'd be unusual for factory filler to crack in this way - at least in my experience.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Amount of filler used at factory for Thing? Reply with quote

My guess is not much filler was used if any at all. Looking at the photo you included I would say that this particular Thing has been hit and repaired. The paint on the right fender and the paint on the right side and front apron/hood don't seem to really match. The fender seems to be more of an original matt finish but the side, apron and hood appear to be gloss or semi-gloss. The shade of orange seems to be slightly different too.
gfulcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Amount of filler used at factory for Thing? Reply with quote

What is confusing to me, @wbailey2112, is the complete lack of any malformation inside the trunk in the same area. In fact, it's mostly original paint in there, as best I can tell. And, if the car was hit on that side, the fender wouldn't be original. That doesn't rule out the possibility the fender was replaced with a like-colored one, but things just aren't adding up.
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Amount of filler used at factory for Thing? Reply with quote

gfulcher, that seam to the left of the vertical rib has been filled in halfway also, it doesn't look like that on the driverside does it?

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
gfulcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Amount of filler used at factory for Thing? Reply with quote

It's uniform on both sides.. I looked specifically at that yesterday.
Update: the seller just sent me photos. He discovered an area tucked up under the top apron crossmember (for lack of a better term) that shows holes with filler oozing through, where the dent was pulled.

I looked in there yesterday, but apparently didn't stick my head in there far enough and look up.. He's check the other side for me.

Thanks, guys... I have always found it best to go back for a second visit before buying, which i might do on Weds.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Amount of filler used at factory for Thing? Reply with quote

Seams get sealer applied before prime & and painting.
Nearly every photo I've seen, the seams looks like below,
but these things weren't to built that carefully that the excess isn't OEM Original Equipment Mexican sealer.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: