Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's up with speedo cables?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: What's up with speedo cables? Reply with quote

I ordered some parts today from WW and KGPR. The KGPR order included a speedo cable for my 65 KG. When I called them I was told that those speedometer cables (perhaps for my MY) are no longer avail with KGPR and haven't been for a while. So, had to take it off the order. I have to say that I'm surprised that something as basic and essential as a speedo cable (or an alternative) is not available at a place that specializes in KG parts.

Next I called WW. Took a chance and asked about the Ghia cable. His first response (I didn't catch his name) was to ask KGPR. When I told him about my call there, he said "I'm sure we can find something for you" -- then looked up the length of the cable in the Ghia parts book (roughly 46") and found a close match from a RHD beetle (47"). That was great service!!

Byas
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with speedo cables? Reply with quote

The speedometer cables for ghias are shared with beetles, as evidenced by their beetle part number prefix, 111. They aren't ghia specific.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with speedo cables? Reply with quote

141-957-801C -- thru '66. Then a 111 part 67-72 and then again a 141 part from then on.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with speedo cables? Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
141-957-801C -- thru '66. Then a 111 part 67-72 and then again a 141 part from then on.

Interesting. KGPR lists only 111-957-801 part numbers for 56-71 and 72-74.

https://www.karmannghia.com/standard/search?type=Inventory%20Item&q=speedometer%20cable
HerbieDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with speedo cables? Reply with quote

The problem is whoever is currently making them is not making the ends that go into the speedometer correct. It's a little big. It may fit in 1/2 way if you force it in, but you'll never get it back out!

The only difference between the earlier speedo cable and the 72-74 cable is that up to 71 ghias the cable has a screw on connector to the back of the speedo, the 72-74 ghia's have a twist on connector.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bellhp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with speedo cables? Reply with quote

Good to know , I'm assuming the connector on the 72-74 was plastic ? I thought it strange that my car (74) was missing the connector ...I couldn't figure out how it would have come off. But today I noticed that KGPR sells just the spring and connector so I bought one ... even though it was 25 bucks ( twice the cost of a cable from some other sellers) . If quality is off on replacement cables maybe that was the right call.
HerbieDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with speedo cables? Reply with quote

You can "try" to file down the part that goes into the gauge, but it is a pain since it's basically in a cup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: