Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Forensic Electric - What did the PO leave me?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Forensic Electric - What did the PO leave me? Reply with quote

It all started when I decided it was time to repair the windshield wipers.

1966 Sundial Camper, 12 volt conversion, two speed wipers, operating on a 12 to 6 volt step down devise. I've had this bus for 20 years and this is the first time I've been up in this area.

The wipers were no big deal. I'm in the process of rebuilding the motor with a 12 volt armature. What has me stumped is the leftovers from the PO.

I have a file from the last owner with some stuff I can't figure out. I think this has something to do with a large stereo he installed and then later removed.

Or it something he added when doing the 6 to 12 volt conversion. Or.....?

These next two pictures go together, I believe.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'd like to figure out what the hell all this is and how much can I demo?

Last but not least is the mystery relay at the ignition.

I think it may have something to do with this diagram:

Doe any of this stuff look familiar? I want to remove if its abandon, but I don't know. Suggestions anyone?

dgsaz

Last edited by dgsaz on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Forensic Electric - What did the PO leave me? Reply with quote

As a '66, it should have had the combination turn signal/ Headlight dimmer switch and super secret PITA relay box. By chance is yours backdated to just a turn signal arm or non-black box? The reason I hunch is for the longest time these 2-year-only switches and relay boxes were unobtainium. Perhaps the "kit" was to backdate everything to make what you've got work. I don't see any resemblance to a stereo schematic there.

If that's the case, I'd find a replacement relay box, switch assembly or other before neutering anything. Again, this is all just my notion.

I'm certain quality help will arrive in this thread soon!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Forensic Electric - What did the PO leave me? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
As a '66, it should have had the combination turn signal/ Headlight dimmer switch and super secret PITA relay box. By chance is yours backdated to just a turn signal arm or non-black box? The reason I hunch is for the longest time these 2-year-only switches and relay boxes were unobtainium. Perhaps the "kit" was to backdate everything to make what you've got work. I don't see any resemblance to a stereo schematic there.

If that's the case, I'd find a replacement relay box, switch assembly or other before neutering anything. Again, this is all just my notion.

YOU NAILED IT!!

I went deeper into the files. This time the receipts file and found the install instructions for a Flasher Replacement for #211 953 227 B. No pictures or diagrams but the narrative sounds like what you are describing.

Perhaps nothing more than a tidy up on the wiring and call it good. Everything works fine. Is there a compelling reason I should address this if nothing is wrong?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Forensic Electric - What did the PO leave me? Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
Last but not least is the mystery relay at the ignition.

dgsaz wrote:
Doe any of this stuff look familiar?

The relay turns on the dual battery isolator. If you aren't using that then get rid of it all and put the regulator wire to the generator light.
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Forensic Electric - What did the PO leave me? Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
hitest wrote:

YOU NAILED IT!!

I went deeper into the files. This time the receipts file and found the install instructions for a Flasher Replacement for #211 953 227 B. No pictures or diagrams but the narrative sounds like what you are describing.

Perhaps nothing more than a tidy up on the wiring and call it good. Everything works fine. Is there a compelling reason I should address this if nothing is wrong?

It appears that the flasher in question 211 953 227 B was unavailable for some reason and a "work around" was necessary. Below are the directions for install.

I would like to return the system to original as it looks like the original flasher is readily available.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: