Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Thing with AH engine
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktzbugz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: 1973 Thing with AH engine Reply with quote

Drove from DFW to Abilene, Tx to tow dolly my 1973 VW thing. Today I was able to get all but one pan bolts removed. I have the pan bolt just forward of the drivers side jack support that is spinning. Any suggestions for techniques to use to remove the last 'spinning' bolt removed? I want to remove the non stock seats and remove the body without removing the engine. There is two (2) rot places about 6"-8" wide at the front end of each rear fender. I will try to determine how, where and what to use to cut and repair the outer rockers. I will try to put some photos in the 181 gallery. Thanks
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Thing with AH engine Reply with quote

I would start cutting slots in the bolt head with a thin cutoff wheel on an angle grinder until I wore the bolt head off, then fish the pieces out when you do the body repair. No doubt the body is rusted there allowing the captive nut to tear loose. The thick washer will protect the pan from damage. I prefer an air powered grinder as it's not as harsh if it hangs up. That's how I would approach it anyway. Very few of mine unscrewed without violence, I ended up replacing the entire lower rockers.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Thing with AH engine Reply with quote

KAmes is correct. The captive nut is spinning and the only real solution is cut the head of the bolt. I had similar issues.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ktzbugz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Thing with AH engine Reply with quote

Got the non-stock seats cut out; placed pics (not real great pics ) of all four rockers in the gallery; but need to know where (how to cut our rockers before I buy replacements.

KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Thing with AH engine Reply with quote

I opted to only cut out the lower part that was bad on mine. I cut horizontal right between the two raised ribs front to back. I did the inside first, then the outside. This kept everything in place so the doors still lined up, looks like you could do this with yours if you wanted to go that route. I bought full replacement panels and cut what I needed out of them. I got the Danish ones, they weren't exactly precision pieces. The part by the hinge is double walled. I carefully cut out the bad outer layer with a small rotary wheel, cleaned it up and welded a small patch in. It looked about like yours, I was able to do it without removing the hinge. Just go at it and see how much is bad. If you want to replace the entire panels up to the door opening it's a lot more involved, others who have done it will probably be here shortly. Have fun!
ktzbugz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Thing with AH engine Reply with quote

Thanks; I am working up to determining what to buy and where to cut. Been doing a lot of searching and reading. Still got the drivers side front bumper bolt to remove and the pan bolt just in front of the left side jack support. Then to remove the nuts/bolts from the rear shock towers and make a decision concerning the floor pans. Still want to remove the body first without removing the engine. Steady as she goes.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Thing with AH engine Reply with quote

Thought I would share

I did patch repairs on passenger outer rocker as was not too bad. I replaced the driver side left outer rocker. basically dissected the outer rocker. I then spot welded the new outer rocker to the original inner. here's some pics from my build. not quite the best but they were 10 yrs go.

inside rocker look.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ktzbugz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Thing with AH engine Reply with quote

Thanks, KAmes and 63zigggy. I now have all of the pan to rocker bolts removed and the front bumper removed. I am going to try to remove the rear shock tower bolts and remove the body and place it on a stand with wheels; then order inner and outer rocker sheet metal to enable patching my rockers and get floor pan metal . My passenger pan are damaged under the seat tracks and the battery area is rotted out. Thanks for the guidance to repairing the rockers and floor pans. I have fender bolts that will be spinning on me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: