Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

26mm Oil Pump?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: 26mm Oil Pump? Reply with quote

My 36hp oil pump is so deeply corroded I'm not sure it will be usable again. I have a 26mm Schadek oil pump with an inlet/outlet cover off a 1600 that fits perfectly on my 36hp with some longer studs. Would running a 26mm pump with the inlet/outlet cover and a remote oil filter + cooler be a good Idea? I'm worried about excess oil pressure with the bigger pump but I figure with the inlet/outlet style pump cover the oil will be restricted and passing through the oil filter before entering the main galleys. Let me know what experience you guys have with larger pumps.

Thanks.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-5386E - oil pump for reference
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 26mm Oil Pump? Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:
My 36hp oil pump is so deeply corroded I'm not sure it will be usable again. I have a 26mm Schadek oil pump with an inlet/outlet cover off a 1600 that fits perfectly on my 36hp with some longer studs. Would running a 26mm pump with the inlet/outlet cover and a remote oil filter + cooler be a good Idea? I'm worried about excess oil pressure with the bigger pump but I figure with the inlet/outlet style pump cover the oil will be restricted and passing through the oil filter before entering the main galleys. Let me know what experience you guys have with larger pumps.

Thanks.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-5386E - oil pump for reference

Full-flow setup is always a good idea.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 26mm Oil Pump? Reply with quote

it will be fine. i run 26mm pumps in everything. if that motor is that corroded. i would pull the oil galley plugs and clean out the oil passages. solvent and long brushes. you will be shocked how much crud will come out. then you will have to tap and thread the galleys for threaded plugs. a filter will help . but a lot of crud car in go through the motor before going trough the filter.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 26mm Oil Pump? Reply with quote

With a big oil pump, 20w50 or other high viscosity oils are best to be avoided. Thinner oils like 10w30 gives better oil flow, better cooling and more normal oil pressure.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: