Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alignment: Judson/Generator Belts
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snydr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Alignment: Judson/Generator Belts Reply with quote

I'm in the process of tracking down an alignment issue I'm having while I fit my 40hp Judson; I've scoured the internet for images from the side to try and get an idea what a good distance or measurement should be so I can decide if I have a tweaked manifold or and issue with my fan shroud/generator.

I got everything tightened down, generator belt installed to spec and then started fitting the Judson belt. Then I discovered that the generator pulley interferes with the Judson belt; it's my understanding that the 40hp didn't need a modification to the generator pulley. Although I have an aluminum pulley, I have compared it to my old stock steel pulley and its the same thickness measurements. All my tin is original german sheetmetal.

Depending on what angle I look at it from; it seems possible that my manifold is tweaked. The pulley side of the judson appears to be "looking" (i.e. tilted) slightly up.

- I've removed the exhaust to insure the heat risers weren't pushing the manifold up, this doesn't appear to be the case as it doesn't change with it on or off.
- I've loosened all the bolts on the manifold and pulled the Judson towards the rear (of the car) to extend the Judson pulley past the generator pulley. This seems to look better but: 1) it pulls the manifold off the intake (more noticeably on the passenger side), and 2) when I try to tighten everything down it seems to pull the whole thing back into the generator pulley.

See pictures; this is what i've got with everything tightened down:

This (below) shows how the Judson belt hits the generator pulley; that's about a 3mm overlap.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This (below) shows the distence between the judson and the fan shroud (specifically the screw head); thats about a 6-8mm gap between the red lines.

'63 Beetle Ragtop - (Build in progress)
'00 Jetta 1.8T
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment: Judson/Generator Belts Reply with quote

The Judson kit when a new complete kit came with an outer gen.pulley to address that problem. You can either purchase a new one or cut the lip off and paint a VW outer pulley.

... Photo of my original Judson with its outer generator pulley...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment: Judson/Generator Belts Reply with quote

I had a similar issue when I mounted mine but not quite as severe. I ended up loosing the generator strap and pushing it back a millimeter or so. Here’s a pic of mine. I tried to measure the backspacing like you did but didn’t get a good measurement. Looks to be about 8mm. Also I need having to use a decklid standoff as my decklid touches the Judson slightly. I spent hours adjustingTo get it right but just couldn’t figure it out, settled with the stand off until I find my patients again

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snydr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment: Judson/Generator Belts Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys; good to know I haven't been the only one with fitment issues. I'm exploring manifold measurements with another Samba member here to see if we can't come up with a solution there; though I may end up machining the lip off my generator pulley face just for some added clearance and peace of mind.

I find it interesting though, that you seem to have the similar 8mm measurement from your Judson to the fan shroud. I might not be too far off in my manifold if thats the case. Maybe these aftermarket generators are a just a shade long as well? I've tried pushing it back, but it seems to be as far back as it'll go.

I'm sure it's a combination of things, gives me an excuse to tinker in the garage and figure it out. Thanks again guys!

'63 Beetle Ragtop - (Build in progress)
'00 Jetta 1.8T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: