Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roofing seam sealer/dyna mat - engine compartment?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plumb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Roofing seam sealer/dyna mat - engine compartment? Reply with quote

Has anyone done this? Would the constant engine heat keep the tar from adhering correctly?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Roofing seam sealer/dyna mat - engine compartment? Reply with quote

I have dynamat in the engine compartment in front of the fan shroud and it holds up no problem. Highly suggest doing it with the tar board.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Plumb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Roofing seam sealer/dyna mat - engine compartment? Reply with quote

What part of the country are you in?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Roofing seam sealer/dyna mat - engine compartment? Reply with quote

seeing as the motor bay is highly visable when the deck lid is open, suggest you use the correct looking replacement black sound dampening panels. several VW parts vendor sell them. nothing uglier in my opinon (except my face) than seeing the dynamat logo printed all over the motor bay, yuck! even without the logos printed, it dont look correct, because it is not.

good luck Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Plumb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Roofing seam sealer/dyna mat - engine compartment? Reply with quote

I agree Bluebus.

It is an awful site. But if works well.....
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Roofing seam sealer/dyna mat - engine compartment? Reply with quote

There's Dynamat, and then there's Dynaliner, right? Both awesome.

Dynamat is the thin rubbery foil-backed product that damps the resonation of sheet metal, thereby quieting it down (doesn't necessarily block the passage of soundwaves). You could easily apply this then cover it with OE style tarboards...you'd be quieter AND look factory.

Then there's the Dynaliner, which is a dense foam-type product, which both damps vibration AND blocks soundwaves AND heat transfer. This comes in several thicknesses, and I'd bet you could put the 1/4" in your engine compartment, then still fit the OE style tarboards and that would be the shit right there.

That's the plan for my '65 Beetle, very shortly here. I've already got the product in-hand (I've used it on other projects).
Plumb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Roofing seam sealer/dyna mat - engine compartment? Reply with quote

I have never heard of dynaliner.

Will check it out. I like your idea.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Roofing seam sealer/dyna mat - engine compartment? Reply with quote

I used QuikRoof inside the car and the standard replacement rubber engine compartment liner. End result for both noise and appearance was good. Zero smell from QuikRoof. I added 2 additional flat hold down brackets on the engine liner directly in front of the shroud fan just to ensure it was not pulled into the fan for some reason. All good through our TX summer temps but I also have all German engine tins, flaps and thermostat installed and working properly to keep the engine at proper temp.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Roofing seam sealer/dyna mat - engine compartment? Reply with quote

That idea is good, a layer of dynamat, or dynaliner (but not dynamite!) covered with a stock tar board. make sure you have enough room to fully engae the metal hold dwon spikes to the stock tar matt, as mentioned, if it comes loose, it can block the fan inlet. then you will have sound absorption and stock look.

make sure the dynaliner is a closed cell foam rather than open cell foam so it wont soak up water like a sponge and cause rust problems.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Plumb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Roofing seam sealer/dyna mat - engine compartment? Reply with quote

Has anyone bought the replacement tar boards that Chris Vallone is selling? $80 with shipping .

Quality tar board as I have seen is right around $60..

Watched a YouTube video. Seems to be a nice product.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Roofing seam sealer/dyna mat - engine compartment? Reply with quote

I do 2 layers of quick roof on the interior side of the firewall and then a generic "underhood " sound insulation on the engine side between the tar board and firewall. Used to get a foil faced fire resistant roll (about 1/2 thick) at Pep Boys, but they no longer handle it. There is something on Amazon called Ballistic Hood Armor and will probably check it out.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: